When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

coloravalanche said:
You keep your opinion to yourself and I keep my opinion to myself...:whistle:

This is a discussion board, and I cannot expressed my opinion here? It seems that my insight answer to your post, bothers you. Well, I apology but I am not going to let someone be blind-fold on the fact proven to be true. :thumb:

coloravalanche said:
I second that!! I understand Cloggy's perspective...most of you misunderstood Cloggy's perspective...I personally DONT want my child to be deaf! I want my child to be hearing! Because, I dont want my child to suffer like I suffered growing up....But, if I happen to have deaf child, I would love my child no matter what...

But you guys have to look at it in a different view of how "deaf" was being picked on or being suffered growing up.

what about those who grew up looking like a geek, nerd, a loner, punk, gothic, preppy, obese ( I'm speaking of hearing) Those kind of hearing people have been picked on because of their ethics, race, and whether they're rich or poor. Deaf people not only suffered, Hearing has been thru the same. So I look it at that way that WE ARE ALL THE SAME but we're just different in many ways!

How would you feel if you had a child that was one of those I listed and your hearing child getting picked on? What will you say about that? Its the same suffering as deaf people go thru. Now.. be careful what you're hoping or wishing for.

I don't have the perfect child.. she's hearing and she goes thru tortured moments at school and at home. She was bullied because she was the smallest one of all. Just because she isn't deaf doesn't mean my child will not suffer. We all suffer in many different ways. I don't understand why you would think any different than having a "hearing" or "deaf" child.

Having a deaf child takes a lot of patience and time to find what's best for her/him. But as having a hearing child, is the same situation where they're going thru a terrible 2's and/or going thru their teen years, they'd get into trouble with laws, or not getting along with parents, back talking, hitting etc. Hearing or Deaf are the same. Both takes a lot of time and patience. You're gonna go thru a phase where the child is depressed, frustrated, getting aggressive, being on drugs or drinking, things like that. Once you go thru that phase, you're gonna wonder what it would be like to have a daughter (that is if you have a son or have boys), have a son, going to wonder what if she/he went to church would that change him/ her? what if she/he hung out with the good "crowd" or bad "crowd" What would happen? its all "what if" in your head. so sometimes we're gonna wish things.

For those who's wishing to have a hearing child has no patience or time. If you feel that having a deaf child will suffer.. think again.. hearing people suffer the same.

RebelGirl said:
For those who's wishing to have a hearing child has no patience or time. If you feel that having a deaf child will suffer.. think again.. hearing people suffer the same.

Exactly hon!! :hug:

RebelGirl said:
For those who's wishing to have a hearing child has no patience or time. If you feel that having a deaf child will suffer.. think again.. hearing people suffer the same....
Wrong focus!!

The choice made for her is not made to relief suffering.

The choice is made in order for her to be part of beautiful moments

Cloggy said:
Wrong focus!!

The choice made for her is not made to relief suffering.

The choice is made in order for her to be part of beautiful moments

it can be in both ways.. you can have beautiful moments in any way! :roll:

RebelGirl said:
it can be in both ways.. you can have beautiful moments in any way! :roll:
Very true. And I have focused on the beautiful speech - sign-language. She's using it. And of course there are many others.
But our main focus was on positive things that can be achieved when being able to hear sound: Hear the world, learning different languages, communicating with friends, family.

There are beautiful momnets in both worlds. SO focus on the. That's why I said: "WRONG FOCUS."

deaf and hearing children

It doesnt matter what you get you get a healthy child be happy! and whatever u get there's always reason for everything... I would not complaint whatever I get deaf or hearing child and I ve been blessed with wonderful kids and I see no diffance in raising the kids u treat them same and then they will think there s no difffance.

SpookyMANDS said:
It doesnt matter what you get you get a healthy child be happy! and whatever u get there's always reason for everything... I would not complaint whatever I get deaf or hearing child and I ve been blessed with wonderful kids and I see no diffance in raising the kids u treat them same and then they will think there s no difffance.

I agree with you, and I feel the same. However, you cannot raise a deaf child like a hearing child (I'm looking from a hearing family perspective, but I'm sure the same is true for a deaf family).
I can see that from my daughter. She's deaf (has CI). There are issues that are difficult to explain. Potty-training takes more time and there are other issues.
So, we love'm the same but there are definetely differences.

Kids

Cloggy said:
I agree with you, and I feel the same. However, you cannot raise a deaf child like a hearing child (I'm looking from a hearing family perspective, but I'm sure the same is true for a deaf family).
I can see that from my daughter. She's deaf (has CI). There are issues that are difficult to explain. Potty-training takes more time and there are other issues.
So, we love'm the same but there are definetely differences.

I wanted to say that may be true but Im only deaf in my family and they treat us all kids same. I guess it depends on the child... Im not aruge who s right and whos wrong but we all have our own toughts and ways of raising our kids..... I have kids whose are hearing and I see no diffance.. anwyas there s no right or wrong :) IMPORANT OF ALL WE LOVE THE KIDS NO MATTER WHAT! :)

My opinion for what its worth; a deaf parent may be more effective raising a deaf child than a hearing parent would. Just as a hearing parent may be more effective raising a hearing child than a deaf parent would.

Deaf - Hearing deaf baby

Deaf delighted and happy - baby deaf

Hearing shocked and miserable - baby deaf

:ugh2:

Deaf Images said:

Thanks for your opinion. How about
Hearing - scared and not knowing where to turn - baby deaf.
I would never say
Deaf - shocked and miserable - baby hearing.

rockdrummer said:
My opinion for what its worth; a deaf parent may be more effective raising a deaf child than a hearing parent would. Just as a hearing parent may be more effective raising a hearing child than a deaf parent would.
I think you are absolutely right, and it is often forgotten. And like you said, it works both ways.

Deaf Images said:

terrible nursery-rhyme...

I also know one that's really terrible:
Hearing delighted and happy - baby ci

Deaf shocked and miserable - baby ci

OK, time to grow up!

rockdrummer said:

:confused: How do you know the difference?

No true.

I raising 2 hearing children without problem because my both children learn both worlds since they were babies.

I sign with voice to my both children since they were babies. My both children sign like deafies and speak like hearing when they goes to hearing world.

A Childminder train my children with speech development twice a week until they are 3 years old and go to Kindergarten. They convinced the difference between both worlds when they join their first kindergarten when they were 3 years old.

My both children are now 13 and 10 years old... I consider them as my children, not their ears...

The children learn fast than adult.

Many deafies have no problem to rasing hearing children...

Liebling:-))) said:

No true.

I raising 2 hearing children without problem because my both children learn both worlds since they were babies.

I sign with voice to my both children since they were babies. My both children sign like deafies and speak like hearing when they goes to hearing world.

A Childminder train my children with speech development twice a week until they are 3 years old and go to Kindergarten. They convinced the difference between both worlds when they join their first kindergarten when they were 3 years old.

My both children are now 13 and 10 years old... I consider them as my children, not their ears...

It was just my opinion and I said the parents MAY be more effective. I can only speak from my experience as a hearing parent trying to raise a deaf child.

rockdrummer said:
It was just my opinion and I said the parents MAY be more effective. I can only speak from my experience as a hearing parent trying to raise a deaf child.

Okay, I can understand your view as hearing person rasing deaf child differently as hearing child or never experience with deafies in your life until you has a deaf child for a first time... Right?

I am only deaf in hearing famliy and generation. I was being raised by both worlds and know difference between hearing and deaf children are. That's why I has no problem to raise hearing children. As you see that many deafies are raised by hearing world.

Liebling:-))) said:

No true.

So there is a difference in raising. You, like me used outside help.
We understood immediately that for our child a deaf-childcare would be in her best interest. As hearing parents we felt this would benefit her.
You did the same by arranging speech therapy for your children.

In both cases we identify shortcomings.

So I agree that they are raised the same but I also see area's where we (the hearing or deaf parent) has shortcomings.

Grüss Gott
Cloggy

Back