Whats your ethnic background?

I mean, no one here wants to associate themselves with White Pride.
Those who are, are very defensive about it. LOL

I seem to remember some studies that Americans who identify as native white American without specifying where their ancestors came from are more likely to be racist. Might have something to do with the longer your ancestors have been here, the more likely you are to actually be mixed. It took me a long time to achieve balance in my own acknowledging of my mix.

I enjoy learning about geneology/heritage.
Jewish/Roma/Russian/Romanian as far as I know
and a lot I don't know

I researched my ancestory and find some thing weird for me. It showed my ancestors came all way back to Roman time, I may had some drop blood of Italian in me. Dunno. Now I wonder if I have some blood goes back before Roman time to middle east area? There is no such thing as white pure in my blood. I may look white but I may have all kind of colors in me.

how long did it take you to research what you found, Jazzy?
history and heritage is very interesting to me-

I took history when I was young. Spainairds came to America and settled all over America. For instance here in California, native people took Spainard's name. Our friend who is 100 percent native and took Spain's name because they came here first before English or Russia. It goes same for Perv, Spainaird came to Peru and other countries. That is their ancestors but then again I had a friend who was born in Argentina and her family came from German which it explained why she has blue eyes and very blonde hair. I asked Alex, if his ancestors from Peru 100 native or some hint of Spain in the blood.

how long did it take you to research what you found, Jazzy?
history and heritage is very interesting to me-
It is in ancestory online but I am not sure if they are 100 percent accurate. Many Jewish people lived in Italy during Black plague and they were being torture because they did not die from horrible disease and they escaped Italy to go to German or Poland. They settled there. Till Hitler came. All those are remain mystery to me still.

Many Jewish people lived in Italy during Black plague and they were being torture because they did not die from horrible disease
The hygienic protections of the OT law gave them a certain degree of protection. Others blamed them for plague because of this. :confused: Strange logic, when hatred kicks in.

Peruvian--- many Hispanics are so mixed, that appearance is the best measure. The mixing goes too far back to trace. The Spanish generally mixed with the Natives very easily. Just like the French in Canada. Catholicism has something to do with it, I think. :cool2:

Those who are, are very defensive about it. LOL

I seem to remember some studies that Americans who identify as native white American without specifying where their ancestors came from are more likely to be racist.
Interesting. I never heard that before.

How can you be ethnically Deaf?

re: white people being boring. I don't think my ANCESTRY is boring at all! But I think that white people think saying "white" makes them look boring. "Irish" "German", or "Native American" sounds...glamorous somehow. I mean, no one here wants to associate themselves with White Pride.
Well, "white" is neither an ethnicity nor an ancestry. :) (Of course, no color-related word is an ethnicity or an ancestry.) It's just a descriptive adjective.

I guess using German, Irish or Native American provides more information about culture and history than a word that provides only a skin color.

I've traced my family tree back to each ancestor's departure point before coming to America. I have records that go further back but I don't fully trust their reliability beyond that.

On both my mother and father's side, I'm descended from one of the Mayflower Pilgrims. (This creates a very convoluted family tree at one point, ha, ha.)

On my father's side, I'm also descended from early Dutch families who settled in New York.

A few of the New England ancestors were Loyalists during the Revolution and moved to Nova Scotia for a while. They eventually moved back to New England.

My most recent immigrant ancestor arrived in Boston from the Azores (Portugal) in 1860.

One of the former Nova Scotians married the immigrant from the Azores. Those were my great-great-grandparents on my father's side.

I haven't finished all my research yet. It can be overwhelming. So far, the basic print out fills an entire wall in my house (lots of adhesive tape involved, ha, ha).

I have been doing a lot of work for my parents in regards to their ancestry, so I use a lot of different websites. It has been fun. Anyways:

My father's side: 100% Swedish as far back as we have been able to trace it

My mother's side: about 50% Swedish; the rest Norwegian and Danish as far back as we can trace it.

So I'm very Scandanavian! :)

Trying to do more research on my Dad's side -- we are far back enough that all records in the 1700's are in Swedish, so none of us have been able to translate it. But I am learning Swedish now (YAY!) that I hope to be able to translate some of those records eventually. We did learn of a very interesting name change. What my maiden name is now changed just 3 generations ago when my paternal great-grandparents immigrated to the US from Sweden.

Wirelessly posted

TheOracle said:
How can you be ethnically Deaf?

re: white people being boring. I don't think my ANCESTRY is boring at all! But I think that white people think saying "white" makes them look boring. "Irish" "German", or "Native American" sounds...glamorous somehow. I mean, no one here wants to associate themselves with White Pride.

Read here:

http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/73936-do-you-have-ethnic-identity.html

In anthropology, ethnicity refers to cultural upbringing-- not necessarily where one's ancestors came from.

Last edited:
In anthropology, ethnicity refers to cultural upbringing-- not necessarily where one's ancestors came from.
In that case, I'm strictly Baby Boomer American. :D

In that case, I'm strictly Baby Boomer American. :D

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Jiro passing himself off as a Mongol even if he has Genghis Khan in his blood.

His Korean and American upbringings clash with the cultural norms of the Steppes.

Edit: I want to poke my eyes out after seeing my own grammatical errors in the linked topic.

I'm also descended from early Dutch families who settled in New York.
The New Amsterdam Dutch stayed to themselves for a long time, at least in my family.

The New Amsterdam Dutch stayed to themselves for a long time, at least in my family.
Claes Cornelissen Van Cats (Cott) was born in Holland in 1641, and died in Boswyk, NY, in 1692. His son was born in Long Island, NY, in 1671. That family line stayed in New York state, various communities, and married other Dutch until the American Revolution. Then, during that time, a Dutch woman descendent of Van Catts, and a non-Dutch New Yorker (moved from CT), moved with their families to Nova Scotia. They met and married each other there.

Back