What's The Most Money You've Spent On An Outfit?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This got me to thinking:

". . . Malia, 17, and Sasha, 14, attended a state dinner for the first time in their father's presidency.

. . . Malia, who wore a beige strapless Naeem Khan gown with a $17,990 price tag, sat next to Sandra Oh.

Sasha opted for a high-necked chic semi-sheer black Naeem Khan dress worth $19,990 and sat at Blake Lively's table."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...me-Minister-Justin-Trudeau.html#ixzz42uGPc1BX

I can't imagine spending that much money on gowns for teenagers.

I understand that they aren't average teens living an average life but that still seemed excessive to me. Or am I just out of touch with today's teen fashions?

Anyway, what was the most expensive outfit that you ever had?

Probably my $300 wedding gown - and my mom paid for that.

It's ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that's probably only going to be worn once. Wonder if it's a tax write-off being that it was for a state dinner. :o

I was walking though the mall today (mall walker am I) and noticed a sign at a jewelry store $1000 off....and I'm thinking I wouldn't even spend $1000 for a piece of jewelry.

This got me to thinking:

". . . Malia, 17, and Sasha, 14, attended a state dinner for the first time in their father's presidency.

. . . Malia, who wore a beige strapless Naeem Khan gown with a $17,990 price tag, sat next to Sandra Oh.

Sasha opted for a high-necked chic semi-sheer black Naeem Khan dress worth $19,990 and sat at Blake Lively's table."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...me-Minister-Justin-Trudeau.html#ixzz42uGPc1BX

I understand that they aren't average teens living an average life but that still seemed excessive to me. Or am I just out of touch with today's teen fashions?

A dress I brought for my daughter's wedding , it cost about $200. This is the most I ever spend on an clothes . How much had you spend ?

I think I might have reached $300 if the outfit included dressy jacket, skirt, sweater, shoes and accessories. Even then, I mix and match my separates so it's really more than one outfit.

My wedding dress (not gown) was about $25 in 1970's dollars.

My dress blue Navy uniforms were expensive when the gold hashmarks and tailoring were included but we got a uniform allowance that covered most of that cost.

I have no $1,000 jewelry either. :lol:

Teens graduating middle school, have expensive graduation outfits/parties these days. What the heck?

$200 for the suit I got married in. It was on sale =) In my neighborhood $40k is about half the cost for a decent house with a couple acres of land.

Last edited:
This got me to thinking:

I think they may well have been on loan from the designer. So many times that is the case at these big events. It is a matter of designers want the PR from people seeing their creations worn.

Jane B says: I think they may well have been on loan from the designer. So many times that is the case at these big events. It is a matter of designers want the PR from people seeing their creations worn.

And then the celebs never return it due to entitlement?

I think they may well have been on loan from the designer. So many times that is the case at these big events. It is a matter of designers want the PR from people seeing their creations worn.
Celebrities might be able to do that but I don't think politicians are allowed to do that because of government ethics rules.

Prom dress $150 custom made by neighbor's sister . She was a fashion designer.

Wow! That's a lot of money! But I think that is expected of high-profile profilers. For me ... I don't think I have ever spent more than a couple hundred dollars at once, and like some of you, that was for a wedding dress. I would so not fit in a high-profile lifestyle :)

Designers give clothes as gifts. Not just to Obama, but many other First Ladies in the past.

Teens graduating middle school, have expensive graduation outfits/parties these days. What the heck?

Yes, very true. But nothing close to paying what the Obama daughters price tag dress lol

I spent money on homecoming, winter ball and prom for dresses and accessories. My neighbor 's sister loved fashion and sewing, to give her a business boost , she made all my dresses. She was not Coco Channel LOL not even close to it haha this was in my teens.

Probably was my wedding dress that my mom's <my mom worked in high-end women's clothing retail for many years> dressmaker friend hand-made for me -a wonderful gift, but she paid for it so I don't know.
I hate shopping for clothes/shoes <I have one pair of tennis shoes and really put off buying new ones> and would rather spend money on dog stuff.

I totally hate clothes shopping too. Maybe that's why I don't spend much on clothes! I'd rather be kitty shopping :)

Back