What to say when people ask if your hearing loss is real?

Rom

Reaction score
I was fitted for hearing aids last year at 20 after many years with an undiagnosed hearing loss. The majority of people I'm with are above 50, so the old, "you're young and don't have medical problems" is a very real issue. Due to this, I'm often accused of having a "listening issue".

For an example; I was out with a group of ladies, at a restaurant and I'd forgotten my aids back at the hotel, which I only realized when we got there and it was -30 so I was not walking back to get them! I was being spoken to and didn't realize it, so my mother got my attention so that I could watch what this woman was saying to me (yes for a+ lip reading skills)

I told her I was sorry I didn't hear her and she says "I have to ask, is it a real hearing issue or do you just not listen"

Yes lady, I spent $4000 for hearing aids for a fake loss

I wouldn't go in WDYS's direction...

more like.. "I spent 4,000 on hearing aids recently so yes it is a real issue." Or your Mom could say "Well it's a real issue, I've known Rom for 20 years longer than you have..."

It's amazing what people think or say when you don't present "their view of what a deaf person is"... Pffft.

I wouldn't go in WDYS's direction...

more like.. "I spent 4,000 on hearing aids recently so yes it is a real issue." Or your Mom could say "Well it's a real issue, I've known Rom for 20 years longer than you have..."

It's amazing what people think or say when you don't present "their view of what a deaf person is"... Pffft.

That's exactly what I said (the price of hearing aids one not the brain one). Mother Dearest isn't always there so it's up to me to teach these people what a deaf person looks like. :))

Meh, I would tell her that listening is magic, and does she believe in magic? ;)

What to say when people ask if your hearing loss is real? First thing I might say is "Huh?" :D

I use these moments for educating the public.
I'm late deafened which began in my mid 30's. I always imagine people think I lost my hearing due to listening to loud music. Not likely since I was not into "rock and roll". Mine is hereditary.

I get this a lot, am I really hard of hearing, or do I even use my hearing aids or are they off. My parents told me they paid $3000 on hearing aids because I had sective hearing....

I get this a lot, am I really hard of hearing, or do I even use my hearing aids or are they off. My parents told me they paid $3000 on hearing aids because I had sective hearing....

Aww! Initially my mother herself was skeptical, but I let her sit with me at the audiologist appointment. she learned pretty quickly

What to say when people ask if your hearing loss is real? First thing I might say is "Huh?" :D

I use these moments for educating the public.
I'm late deafened which began in my mid 30's. I always imagine people think I lost my hearing due to listening to loud music. Not likely since I was not into "rock and roll". Mine is hereditary.

I had a literal list of 9 or 10 things that I went over with my ENT that we thought caused it. Most of them were my fault, lol

First ask them why a deer shits pellets, A cow shits patties and a horse shit is grassy?
When they reply that they don't know then say, How can we talk about hearing loss when you don't know shit.

Ive had enough of these idiots and now that I have cochlear implants some still don't understand without them I am 100% deaf.... Oh, but I'm oral.... Yeah and ??????? lol

First ask them why a deer shits pellets, A cow shits patties and a horse shit is grassy?
When they reply that they don't know then say, How can we talk about hearing loss when you don't know shit.

Ive had enough of these idiots and now that I have cochlear implants some still don't understand without them I am 100% deaf.... Oh, but I'm oral.... Yeah and ??????? lol

LOL. I'm acutally thinking next time I might have to get larger hearing aids just so people can visibly see them..... D'oh

Some people will just never get it. I work with the public and while most are very patient and understanding about my deafness; I think others are just afraid of a condition that they don't understand.
When I asked a customer to speak a little slower because I'm hard of hearing, she actually told me I shouldn't be doing my job if I had that problem. I'm standing there folding T-shirts at Walmart, for crying-out-loud!

I get that a lot. I don't hear people calling me when I should be and they get all fed up!! "i called you so many times and there was no response". I'd just go "oops, sorry, was too engrossed or spacing out''.

It's more frustrating with my mum because she's also hard of hearing and hers is more serious.. and then she chooses to stand in the far distance to tell me something but sometimes she forget I can't hear well as well!!

Some people will just never get it. I work with the public and while most are very patient and understanding about my deafness; I think others are just afraid of a condition that they don't understand.
When I asked a customer to speak a little slower because I'm hard of hearing, she actually told me I shouldn't be doing my job if I had that problem. I'm standing there folding T-shirts at Walmart, for crying-out-loud!

What a rude customer!!! Sometimes I think karma will befall on these kind of people..

P.S. I'm not evil!!

Been accused of "selective hearing" or "she can hear whenever/whatever she wants to hear"...And the "she can talk!...so she can hear"....and that dreaded "Oh...you speak so well"!
Now that I'm much older....people "assume" it's just old age that I can't hear...and have had many people screaming in my ear, blowing my hair everywhere...(some even spit)...That gets on my last nerve...LOL.

Been accused of "selective hearing" or "she can hear whenever/whatever she wants to hear"...And the "she can talk!...so she can hear"....and that dreaded "Oh...you speak so well"!
Now that I'm much older....people "assume" it's just old age that I can't hear...and have had many people screaming in my ear, blowing my hair everywhere...(some even spit)...That gets on my last nerve...LOL.

Ew?? If anyone spat in my earhole it'd be the last time they a full set of teeth lol. I even got the "you speak so well" from doctors and audiologists

UGHH. I'm so sorry! People can be absolute smelly cheese.

I was born profoundly deaf in both ears. Even some Deaf people think I'm hearing because of the way I sign. I sign in English order with some ASL signs. My hearing parents learned signs from that yellow Signing Exact English book and taught it to me. It's a difficult habit - hard to break from SEE and use ASL more.

Also, I used to work at a grocery store as a stockclerk. This old lady refused to write down what she needed. I found out that she started screaming at me as if I could understand her, because a coworker ran into the aisle with some serious concern. Geez.

I have always been open with people about my hearing problems and tell them upfront I have hearing aids and if I don't respond to you it's not because I'm not listening to you, it's because I didn't hear you. After a few times of me not responding, the picture comes into focus real quick, that yes, I do have hearing loss and hearing issues.

When I was in middle school (12-13?. I'm 56 now), my mom actually bought me this button (still have it somewhere):
$_35.JPG

When I was younger I wanted to get a ear trumpet and carry it around in a bag and when someone asked me if "I was deaf or something !" I wanted to pull my ear
trumpet out and hold it up my ear and see the look on the person face !

Back