What to do when the family drives you nuts

deafmedicalpoet

Reaction score
My family is acting like they own my life. I know I own my life, but its like I dont make them happy at all with my life choices. I am the only deafie in my family and I try to make the best picks for my life that I know I can do and feel good with at all times. They are making me nuts!!! I told them its my life, and that my choices will be mine not theirs. I am not garbaging my life, I just want to do my picks, but my family is unwilling to see that with my wishes. What should I do? I know that they want me to be successful but how many times do I have to get them to shush and listen to me and realize I make my choices not them at all. Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!

ignore them and try your best to keep do what you want to do with ur life and meet your goals. Dont worry about your family. :)

in end your family will gulp that you can do it.. then they will learn to respect you and leave you alone. :)

Tell your family that the subject of what you're doing with your life is off limits and you don't want to discuss it at all. But that its ok to talk about anything under the sun except your life. If they respect you then they should understand that and leave you alone.

Hang in there. Sometimes, family sucks. I've cut a few family members out of my life and haven't regretted it one bit. It's hard to do. I have family members who make fun of my hearing loss and say I'm faking. I don't deal with them anymore and stick with my immediate family and close friends.

Yea, I have problem with some family members, such as parent who argue about college, grandma who argue about social issues and want make to believe in bible instead of agnostic. I told grandma to fuck off from me and don't give anything about bible related and told her that I'm agnostic. For parent, they aren't support me about college, even don't care about education then I just had deal with them because VR would pay for college and I asked them to discuss with my VR counselor then they gulped because VR will support me about go to college, such as Gallaudet.

If I have problem with them again then I will live with girlfriend or friend.

Back