What Ticks You Off (Most) About The Deaf Culture?

Had just that thing happen more than once. I answered, "All students--not just the few who disrupt. Many here tell me and other faculty they appreciate classes starting on time and limiting disturbances."

Every time I got applause from serious students who wanted their money's worth.

Way to go. That's the way I like it too. It's highly rude to talk back to an educator in that manner. Just like it is rude to tell a police officer that you put the food on his/her table by paying taxes.

A professor's job is to educate the students and the rules of his/her classroom should be followed, no matter what. If they don't like it, they can drop out for all I care.

It's not a problem. I totally understand what you're getting at. I'm not trying to be prude or anything like that. I even am guilty at some point by extending my stay much longer after the event/gathering ends. I just find it ironic because when someone says "I have to leave now" and yet, I still see that same person in that same spot an hour later.

Granted, I do sometime get myself so immersed into a conversation to a point where time has already passed. By then, I'd realize that I'm supposed to go to somewhere else.

It's called Deaf Standard Time. :giggle:

Yes, but remember... it's not just him getting a paycheck. It's the students getting their education. The students paid to get an education, not to be disturbed by a student showing up for class late.

I've had classes where students would show up late and they walk in front of the whole class to get to their seat. It's noisy, distracting, and bothersome. I'm there to watch the teacher, not to watch some kid walking in without respect and making noises.

Those are the worse!

When I showed up late, I always stayed in the back....

Since we veered off topic a bit: I'm a 100% advocate of Dr. W. Edwards Deming's philosophy of first and foremost serving your primary customer, the one who pays you. In college, it is the students first, the state regents second, and the federal government third. Our state college and the tribal colleges wisely bestowed promotions and tenure on merit, a great deal of which was based on student evaluations.

I actually welcomed classroom challenges from students. Most were excellent teaching opportunities. For example, I once wrote on the whiteboard, "All theses are due Friday."

Wise-ass: Hey, Chase-dude, I think you misspelled thesis.

Chase-dude: I'm glad you brought that up. T-h-e-s-i-s is of Greek origin, and the correct singular spelling. What do "all" and "are" tell us about the sentence?

Wise-ass: Um . . . it's plural?

Chase-dude: Absolutely! So tell us how to spell the same-sounding word as a plural.

Somewhat wiser-ass: T-h-e-s-e-s?

Chase-dude: Absolutely right again! Thank you.

(Somewhat wiser-ass actually looked pleased, and class-wide learning had taken place.)

I can never understand the concept of being late just simply to follow DST. I get too nervous if I am late for something.

I thought about that today and just realized that none of my deaf coworkers use the DST excuse to be late for work. Everyone is pretty responsible about showing up on time.

I guess I have been lucky that my experiences with the Deaf community in the past 5 years has been mostly positive except for the rumor thing but I learned to either ignore them or just not share too much about myself with too many people.

I can never understand the concept of being late just simply to follow DST. I get too nervous if I am late for something.

I thought about that today and just realized that none of my deaf coworkers use the DST excuse to be late for work. Everyone is pretty responsible about showing up on time.

I guess I have been lucky that my experiences with the Deaf community in the past 5 years has been mostly positive except for the rumor thing but I learned to either ignore them or just not share too much about myself with too many people.

Shel, it's kinda a half joke and most usually applies to social settings.

Shel, it's kinda a half joke and most usually applies to social settings.

Yea, in my experience it has always been applied to social settings. Reading Vampy's post made me wonder. Thanks

What ticks me off most about the deaf culture? Kind of the same as some other posts...

It's the same with all "minorities," there are some individuals in these minorities that seem to just complain about being discriminated against. Sure there is discrimination and sure this is unfair, but it exists. and sometimes you should 'complain' to be heard but you also have to take action. Stop blaming being deaf (black, hispanic, female, etc) for every bad thing that ever happens to you... There comes a point where you have to realize life is not perfect and you have to deal with things and rise above them. For example job discrimination against the deaf is really wrong, yet it is out there. If it happens to you sure you should tell people and be heard to try to make things better. But at the same time, you should realize that life's not fair, and make an effort to become even BETTER than that hearing person who took your job... the arguement always goes: hearing person gets job over EQUAL deaf person... sure this is unfair at times but its 50/50 in this instance and not ALL 50/50 decisions choosing hearing over EQUAL deaf can be called discrimination. Maybe strive to be BETTER than the hearing and then employer won't have choice but to hire you...

but like i said this is only some people in each minority that seem to just complain and not put in the work... There are plenty hard working people out there too.

sorry for talking so much.

I just got back from a birthday party. The party started at 7 pm, but I showed up at 8:30 pm because I was informed at the last minute. Myself and a friend were the only two who were informed at the last minute, but everyone else were already informed days and weeks in advance. Yet, everyone started showing up around 9 pm and 10 pm. When my friend and I arrived, there were already 2 guys plus the birthday boy. 15 minutes later, 3 more showed up. 1 hour later, some more showed up. By the time it was 11:30 pm, I saw a lot of people that I don't even remember seeing there when I showed up.

Why late? "Oh, just took my time... ya know... DST?"

i hate how if a hearing person has an opinion on a controversial subject, their thoughts on the matter are relagated to "oh you wouldn't understand, you're not deaf."

i almost lost a good friend because i disagreed with him on a controversial subject, and he completely minimalized my thoughts on the matter. I may not have a Deaf perspective, but i most certainly have a right to expresss my opinion.

i hate how people assume im deaf when they meet me, then after they find out im hearing, they start using their voice, and can't for the life of them turn it off, no matter how hard they try. im no longer an equal to them

Yeah, gossip and rumor is annoying.

I remember one boy telling me that based on a rumor that I liked him. I was shocked, and I was thinking how in the world did that happen, since I don't like him at all and I don't even discuss stuff like that. He said that someone in the group told him. I don't understand how that has happened especially I am one of those that became silent and invisible during those social events. That was very spooky knowing someone just made this up out of nowhere. Thankfully, I am type of person that don't even like to talk about my personal life unless it's with my most trusted "friends".

I don't like deaf people acting aggressive or rude when thing don't go their ways. Causing trouble in the public, make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. And when that happens they used "That's deaf culture!" as an excuse for their stupid behavior. Yelling in a restertaunt is not the way of deaf culture, just plainly ignorance. In that moment, you are in their world, not deaf's. So respect other people for frak's sake.

i hate how if a hearing person has an opinion on a controversial subject, their thoughts on the matter are relagated to "oh you wouldn't understand, you're not deaf."

i almost lost a good friend because i disagreed with him on a controversial subject, and he completely minimalized my thoughts on the matter. I may not have a Deaf perspective, but i most certainly have a right to expresss my opinion.

i hate how people assume im deaf when they meet me, then after they find out im hearing, they start using their voice, and can't for the life of them turn it off, no matter how hard they try. im no longer an equal to them
Even as a deaf person, I get the same response... "You're not deaf enough."

It also applies with race. I've talked with some people who say that I don't have a right to talk about black issues because I'm not black.

Back