What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I, of course, enjoy flawless hearie-to-deafie relationships all the time. :hmm:

Other than the hang ups when I make a call via relay, what I really hate...

My husband and I will go to a restaurant/store/etc. He writes out a message and gives it to the clerk to communicate. Instead of communicating directly with my husband, the clerk looks at me and asks, "do you speak?". Argh!

Sometimes I do encounter people trying ultra-hard to accommodate us. One time we went to a restaurant that was very concerned about treating us well. They communicated via paper beautifully. When they sat us down at our table, they brought us BRAILLE menus! They were plain white, no words or pictures, only braille. We had a good laugh about that one (as did our server).

When they come here and talk about their deaf fetishes.

The "adjustments" that HOH and late-deafened people are supposed to make are totally to make us acceptable to hearies. We're so annoying with our asking for people to repeat things and talking too loud.

Don't worry, your hubby will learn to advocate for what he needs. Having a supportive wife will help.

Unfortunately, most accommodations are designed for the hearing population's convenience. Frustrating.

I took the kids to Burger King so they could play in the play area (I HATE Burger King but the play area is nice and clean lol)...I'm writing out my order (I write pretty fast) and the cashier starts taking orders for the person behind me while I was writing.

Whoa.

Big mistake on his part. Let's say he won't do that again. Ever.

Oh, and the same idiot called out my number KNOWING I was deaf...I'm standing there and he's calling out the number as opposed to looking at me and waving me over.

He now knows how to mark numbers of deaf customers and wave them over. He now knows to holler out a deaf person's number is not only rude...but it really makes him stupid. Yes, sir.

I hope he didn't spit on my fries when I wasn't looking.

When businesses hang up on you when you are using vp. When calling back they say they do not accept these types of calls, and then when in person speaking to the manager they say I must have misunderstood. How do you misunderstand being hung up on 4 times. K theres my rant...

Another reason I do not like going out to public places. :roll:

Out at pub last night. Boyfriend explains to hearing ladies sitting nearby, who are talking to me, that I can't hear them. All of a sudden one of the ladies starts to run her hands through her hair in some kind of attempt at ASL. Uhm, I don't understand what you are trying to say.:roll: She continues to move her hands and fingers around as though I'm supposed to understand her.

Later, security guard at the door to where the washrooms are stops me on my way back in to the pub to say, "I know you're Deaf (big whoopty do) because I saw you signing. How do you know how to dance if you can't hear the music?" :hmm: :giggle:

HATE is a very strong word to use. Do you guys really HATE hearies.

Not everyday, but when something goes badly wrong in public, or someone makes fun of me, that is the right word.

But it is transient.

I took the kids to Burger King so they could play in the play area (I HATE Burger King but the play area is nice and clean lol)...I'm writing out my order (I write pretty fast) and the cashier starts taking orders for the person behind me while I was writing.

Whoa.

Oh, that is wrong all right.

Whoa.

You go girl! Wish I had been a fly on the wall so I could have seen that.:P

HATE is a very strong word to use. Do you guys really HATE hearies.

No one said they "hated hearies". The thread is about hating the things that hearies do to make the deaf life more difficult...not about hating people.

Whoa.

Been in a position like this. One time I called a restaurant using relay service to place a order for pickup.. The person who picked up the phone was rude and hung up on me. I informed the relay operator to redial.. The lady then proceeded to say " This is a business and I do not have the time to deal with this nonsense" and hung up once again. I was enraged so I got in my truck and drove to the business that was quite full of patron's and demanded to speak to who ever it was who did the phone answering. The lady came out and I was quite loud with her..I have not spent a single dime in that place since and was also friend's with one of her co-workers which gave me the number to the management team of that business to place a formal complaint against that employee.

Oh man I am rather embarrassed by the behavior and nature of the narcissistic nature of those who hear its disgusting

How ridiculous and careless they act with an ability they posses that others would like to have

Back