What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I experienced some things that bothered me as a CODA:

1) People trash-talking me to my face because they see I'm using sign language and they think I'm too "deaf and dumb" to say anything back.

2) People talking very loudly and slowly to me. Seriously, what is that supposed to do?

3) "Can you lipread"? I just think it's a strange question for a hearing person to ask a hearing person.

I always turn it into something humerous. During the time I used HAs, sometimes they would give off feedback. Friends asked what that noise was, I told them a Lie detector! Stupid me, everytime it went off while I made a point (especially over discussions about sex), all eyes were on me... :shock:

1) People trash-talking me to my face because they see I'm using sign language and they think I'm too "deaf and dumb" to say anything back.

2) People talking very loudly and slowly to me. Seriously, what is that supposed to do?

3) "Can you lipread"? I just think it's a strange question for a hearing person to ask a hearing person.

wow that's so weird. i suppose you talk back in a normal converation that suprirses them that you talk normal like them?

#2 and #3 is practically the story of my life. #1 hasnt happened since I was in middle school but I wouldnt be surprised if they trash talked behind my back.

Forgive me if this has been posted but there are 20 pages to read!! I am getting through them now.

I wonder who else has experienced this: I hate it when I am talking to someone and they turn music on, or they try and have a conversation with me when music is on loud. Most don't even realise I can't hear over it - and don't offer to turn it off :aw:

Ever had people try to guess how deaf you are? Have an entire conversation about "do you think he's deaf or just hard of hearing? How much do you think she can hear?" etc. etc.

Drives me nuts. If you want to know, just ask.

Ever had people try to guess how deaf you are? Have an entire conversation about "do you think he's deaf or just hard of hearing? How much do you think she can hear?" etc. etc.

I agree, that is rude. I work in a hospital and when nurses or other staff say he/she is blind/deaf/whatever, I always go straight to the person and ask what they need or whatever. The staff always says stuff like "He isn't blind, he knew when I came in..." I say maybe he heard you, maybe he can see only a little, did you ask? But they never do...:dunno:

I always turn it into something humerous. During the time I used HAs, sometimes they would give off feedback. Friends asked what that noise was, I told them a Lie detector! Stupid me, everytime it went off while I made a point (especially over discussions about sex), all eyes were on me... :shock:

So you don't wear them anymore?

I agree, that is rude. I work in a hospital and when nurses or other staff say he/she is blind/deaf/whatever, I always go straight to the person and ask what they need or whatever. The staff always says stuff like "He isn't blind, he knew when I came in..." I say maybe he heard you, maybe he can see only a little, did you ask? But they never do...:dunno:

Exactly. I was in the pool with my wife and she told me people were going "she's not db she knew when I swam past her." Ever heard of splashing? :roll:

ANOTHER PERSON: What's that in your ear?

ME: Shhhh! I'm FBI and you're blowing my cover.

It amazes me how little the average people use other senses (touch, smell, hear, sight, etc) and that people take their hearing or sight for granted ....or think your senses is all or nothing (that is you can hear good or you don't hear at all)

I'm just amazed that they believed you.
wow that's so weird. i suppose you talk back in a normal converation that suprirses them that you talk normal like them?
It varies. In my younger days I just cussed them out. Or I would say something like, "Really? I'm [whatever they just said]? Fascinating :D" Or I'd just ignore them and continue with my conversation.
ANOTHER PERSON: What's that in your ear?

ME: Shhhh! I'm FBI and you're blowing my cover.

That's awesome! That ties into it being a lie detector :lol:

Forgive me if this has been posted but there are 20 pages to read!! I am getting through them now.

I wonder who else has experienced this: I hate it when I am talking to someone and they turn music on, or they try and have a conversation with me when music is on loud. Most don't even realise I can't hear over it - and don't offer to turn it off :aw:

I hate this too. people just don't pay attention! That's when you just smile and nod and eventually they will notice! :D

My family didn't believe I was losing my hearing for years. They didn't believe I had vertigo either.

Back