What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

As I said, it's just a hope. Suit yourself. But "cookies" aren't necessarily cute, either; it's just a general term for cooked objects. I have buddies, none of whom are cute, etc.

Good luck in changing the culture. Such things have happened.

Rarely!:giggle: The "politically correct" attempted to change "deaf" and "hoh " to hearing impaired in the name of non=offensive language, only to be told that the terminolgy they had selected was offensive to those belonging to the minority they attempted to define.

Inside Deaf/deaf culture, we refer to Deafies and Hearies all the time. It is not meant to be offensive in the least, but is merely the use of slang. Why woudl you be offended over something so innoculous?

I am now aware that in deaf culture the term is used freely. Myself, I'd be offended because I'm a professional and adult who doesn't care to be referred to like that. As I said earlier, I think it sounds childish or like a snack or something. My question would be why would anyone want to come up with yet one more name to call themselves or others. To me that would be like calling a black person a "n******"

But that's just me. Live and let live.

I am now aware that in deaf culture the term is used freely. Myself, I'd be offended because I'm a professional and adult who doesn't care to be referred to like that. As I said earlier, I think it sounds childish or like a snack or something. My question would be why would anyone want to come up with yet one more name to call themselves or others. To me that would be like calling a black person a "n******"

I am a professional too but among my friends, we call each other that. It is not a big deal.

As I said, it's just a hope. Suit yourself. But "cookies" aren't necessarily cute, either; it's just a general term for cooked objects. I have buddies, none of whom are cute, etc.

Good luck in changing the culture. Such things have happened.
I'm not out to change any culture. You and every other deaf person can have people call you whatever you want, but if someone IRL came to me talking that crap then they're liable to get something (some words or...).

You should read my post before this one. I said it sounds like a snack and then you bring out "cookie"

LOL

I am now aware that in deaf culture the term is used freely. Myself, I'd be offended because I'm a professional and adult who doesn't care to be referred to like that. As I said earlier, I think it sounds childish or like a snack or something. My question would be why would anyone want to come up with yet one more name to call themselves or others. tO ME, IT WOULD BE SOMETHING AKIN TO CALLING A BLACK PERSON "n******"

No, "hearing impaired" or "handicapped" is rather akin to using the "N" word to refer to a person of African/American decent. The connative meaning of all three is negative.

I don't think professionalism is an issue. I, too, am a professional. It doesn't affect my professional status in the least to be known as a "hearie". In fact, it has even been facillitative at times.

Oh, and BTW, all caps is considered yelling.

But, since you object to the term, I will certainly try to remember not to call you a "deafie". However, if you should slip and call me a "hearie" there will be no harm done.

If you thinkthose two terms are offensive, stick around for awhile and visit some of the more controversial topics. You may come to find that those are the two least offensive terms used.:P

I am a professional too but among my friends, we call each other that. It is not a big deal.
Right. It depends on the situation, setting, and individuals involved.

I'm not out to change any culture. You and every other deaf person can have people call you whatever you want, but if someone IRL came to me talking that crap then they're liable to get something (some words or...).
No problem. With that attitude you won't have many repeat visits or invitations from the "deafie" community.

No, "hearing impaired" or "handicapped" is rather akin to using the "N" word to refer to a person of African/American decent. The connative meaning of all three is negative.

I don't think professionalism is an issue. I, too, am a professional. It doesn't affect my professional status in the least to be known as a "hearie". In fact, it has even been facillitative at times.

If you thinkthose two terms are offensive, stick around for awhile and visit some of the more controversial topics. You may come to find that those are the two least offensive terms used.:P
I know about caps, and when you see a string of caps that starts with a lower case letter then you might consider someone hit the caps lock on accident.

What I meant when I wrote "professional" is that I have a more...how should I say this... formal "mentality."

Oh, and BTW, all caps is considered yelling.

But, since you object to the term, I will certainly try to remember not to call you a "deafie". However, if you should slip and call me a "hearie" there will be no harm done.

That's in a nutshell!

I know about caps, and when you see a string of caps that starts with a lower case letter then you might consider someone hit the caps lock on accident.

What I meant when I wrote "professional" is that I have a more...how should I say this... formal "mentality."

I keep the formal "mentality" at work cuz I am not a formal person myself. I grew up with extremely laid-back values so I dont see why I should change myself just because I in a professional field. However, of course, I dont go around doing over-the-board informal actions/wordings.

Guess that's your personality and we can respect that.

Anyways...sorry for off-topic!

Oh,so you aren't a professional?

That lower case could have been an accident, just as the all caps could have been an accident. No way to tell in print.

It is all about learning from each other. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
Nothing wrong with that at all. People seemed to start ganging up on my when I was just saying what I though. I wasn't condeming anyone for it, I didn't know it was a regular term and wasn't trying to offend anyone.

But it seems like I did (especially Reba).

Nothing wrong with that at all. People seemed to start ganging up on my when I was just saying what I though. I wasn't condeming anyone for it, I didn't know it was a regular term and wasn't trying to offend anyone.

But it seems like I did (especially Reba).

U didnt offend me. :) I went thru the same thing at 25 years old when I discovered the Deaf community. I made my mistakes and have offended people just like they have offended me. As long as it is not intentional, it is all cool.

Oh,so you aren't a professional?

That lower case could have been an accident, just as the all caps could have been an accident. No way to tell in print.
I am, I was just saying it was an accident. I corrected it before you even posted. I read a lot and in forums when I see that convention (lower case starting a string of caps or words that would be capitalized that begin with lower case letters followed by caps) I can tell it was an acident.

Back