What the...a totally implantable Cochlear Implant?

Hmmm I don't trust it.what with consecutive mini ops to replace batteries?

What with ability to have a bit of peace? When I want some peace I just pop off coil.

I wouldn't trust it not yet , it doesn't have any history yet , and the other companies have a long history behind them.

Plus it's not FDA approved.

This sounds more like a middle ear implant not a cochlear implant as I can tell.

The esteem is a middle ear implant. According to the information it aids in the movement of the middle ear bones. From what I have read it has not been FDA approved yet.

I have to agree that this will only help those that have a damage middle ear. It does nothing for nerve damage in the cochlea.

It looks quite ambiguous to me as it says that the implant is suitable for those with sensi-neural hearing loss?

With sensi-neural loss - it can mean anything from a defective bone to no hairs in cochlea. If the implant were to work- it would be best suited those with ossification as there'll still be some hairs in the cochlea?

If they were to transmit signals to the cochlea and the cochlear has got no hair so how does it work then without the danger of frying the entrance where the signals are transmitted to?...

And I'm quite turned off by the idea of having it replaced every few years for the battery. Whatever happened to the harnessing of the body's natural electrical field? - excellent way for a source of lifetime's worth of power, we generate electricity all the time from movements so what's the issue there?

I think only a small percentage of people are eligable for this. It's prolly gonna be like the BAHA...a device that while it's out there, it only benifits SOME people with hearing loss. This has been around for a while.....and there was hype about it...but that hype seems to have faded into the background. Also...I mean I kind of like having my hearing aid visable. it lets people know I'm hoh!

Personally, I am more interested in CI having 32 or more electrodes. There was an article in 2006 talking about 128 electrodes but it's still not out. There's also talk about laser/fiber optic CI but I guess stem cells has made this moot.

It doesn't look like it has much possibility to be upgraded either. Not without additional surgery anyway.

Who knows. Maybe in the future we'll have something like this that completely internal and works. But I wouldn't go for it yet. I'm in the process of getting a CI right now. Just waiting for the mail to come and let me know when my surgery will be.

totally implantable Cochlear Implant

Do you think thay can make a totally implantable Cochlear Implant any time soon?
I expect this in 10 years maybe.

I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony BTE for the last 5 years.
Hard to visualize everything in one's ear canal such as the Esteem Hearing aid.
It doesn't appear that "shortly" a major change on the horizon. I am aware of the change a few years ago with introduction of different style of battery from the ones used at belt level a few years ago.
The above thread is almost 3 years old-so far still a "long way off" to actualization.

No comments. ;)

Dr. Phil is 100 % right that so far still a "long way off" to actualization. ..Decades maybe.

I holded my breath on the Totally Implantable CI...and almost passed out. Do not count on this technology!

Enjoy life with the CI processor.

Last edited:
Back