What Should We Do

mame

Reaction score
The blind people have their stick to identify them as blind
The physically challenged have their wheel chair for their identification
The deaf have their sign language for identification, but what should we do to identify a deaf person on the road and other places without a sign language. Certainly we cant put an inscription on the deaf saying I am deaf?
I have read some of the thread on hearing dogs but we cant carry hearing dogs always. I am sorry to say most of us dont like dogs in Ghana. Either we fear or are not comfortable with dogs.
This is an issue that was raised in a recent disable meeting held in Ghana
I will be grateful if you could put in your contribution here.

In case this thread is in the wrong place somebody move it to the proper place.

Not everyone with a physical disability (or even a mobility impairment) uses a wheelchair, crutches, or other obvious signifier.

Do you really want to give up your ability to pass?

I am not clear with you, but let assume the situation in your place is not the same as in Ghana. What do think? Thanks for your comment.

Do you mean you want to easily identify other Deaf people in public so that you can meet them?

I think I get what Efu is trying to say...that if we can tell a person is deaf by some identifying factor, hearing people will be aware that person is deaf.

I have had experiences when hearing people are trying to say something to me when my back is turned and it became ugly a few times when I didnt respond due to not being able to hear them.

One time a lady pushed me out of the way in the food store (I think I was 18 years old) and I was like whoa why did u push me? She said I was rude for ignoring her ..turns out she had been saying "excuse me" a few times and got pissed when I didnt respond. I told her that I am deaf but she had already walked away. Wow...I wanted to chase after her and kick her ass but I was in a long line and didnt want to lose my space...oh boy.

I think I get what Efu is trying to say...that if we can tell a person is deaf by some identifying factor, hearing people will be aware that person is deaf.

I have had experiences when hearing people are trying to say something to me when my back is turned and it became ugly a few times when I didnt respond due to not being able to hear them.

One time a lady pushed me out of the way in the food store (I think I was 18 years old) and I was like whoa why did u push me? She said I was rude for ignoring her ..turns out she had been saying "excuse me" a few times and got pissed when I didnt respond. I told her that I am deaf but she had already walked away. Wow...I wanted to chase after her and kick her ass but I was in a long line and didnt want to lose my space...oh boy.
Good point.

When my Deaf friend ran the Cooper River Bridge Run several years ago, he pinned a "Deaf runner" sign on the back of his shirt. Why? Because the 10k race was held on a narrow bridge with thousands of runners (I know, I've done it), and you could easily get knocked over by someone coming up fast behind you. It was like a stampede, and some people got impatient if you didn't move out of the way fast enough.

Well my sister had tumors removed from her uterus.... she was cut on
on her stomach.... And when she was on the plane...
She told the lady who sat next to her, that she has to get up, so
that she can go use the rest room...

And the lady got angry and hit my sister's stomach..... OUCH!!!!

So my sister punched the lady in the mouth and yelled at her, "I just
had SURGERY on my stomach!!!! Why you hit me there? That hurt!!!"

So lady got up from her seat and let my sister get out to go to the restroom.

Some people can be so INSENSITIVE and unaware of other people's disability.

That'd have made some news. These incidents are good enuff to start an emergency landing routine. And the press would smell this like sharks.

So where's the news on that plane incident?

Richard

That'd have made some news. These incidents are good enuff to start an emergency landing routine. And the press would smell this like sharks.

So where's the news on that plane incident?

Richard

My thoughts exactly while I was reading the post.

Shel I think you understand me. I am not very good in English.Sorry
Ok see one time at the onset of my deafness I was walking alone by a railroad, and a trainning was approaching me at full speed, but before then I could hear from quite a distance an approaching train and even get to one point before the train get any close. But oh mine! This time I was stone deaf and didnt hear a thing. All I heard was a blasting earth quaking noise that made my whole being trembling and shivering. I sure didnt know what that blasting noise was until I turn to see a few seconds away from me a train.I was shuddering and I had to run for dear life.

In Ghana it is the custom for the young to greet the elders and failure to do so is considered disrespectfullness. One time I close from school and on the way home I met an elderly man.I forgot to greet this man, I was really walking fast. I felt a tap on my shoulder," young lady you have no respect!" I couldnt understand. another unlooker said in full rage "If you say you didnt hear then my friend I dont know what is wrong with you!" The fact was that they have been calling me" young lady! young lady!" but I guess they were calling the wall. So had to say I am sorry and go on my way.

You see what I mean? Now, today you see fashion in all assortment. Some t-shirt have the inscription" i am devil fear me!, "bitch" etc. If i write on my t- shirt I am deaf that will also be another fashion. Moreover if it is not another fashion I cant certainly always wear t-shirt with that inscription. And cant carry a banner with the inscription " i am deaf" so what do we do? This what I am trying to say. Thank you all for your contribution.

SJCSue posted in another thread about a sweatshirt she found on the internet site for Amazon.com that said "Warning: Deaf Pride." I ordered one for my son. He and I also wear shirts with the name of his deaf high school on them. Perhaps you could check the Amazon site.

Back