What is a negative aspect of Cued Speech ???

Would they be confounded by me reading and writing well even if I rarely can lipread and had never spoke a complete sentence in my entire life?

You would astonish them, my dear Redfox!

Oh I AM postive..I am so tired of the oralists saying that deaf people who grew up using ASL have poor literacy skills when it is a complete fabrication. I think they say that to justify the reasons for their beliefs that deaf children need to be oral only. :roll:

Absolutely. Their real reasons are quite so noble!:giggle:

Would they be confounded by me reading and writing well even if I rarely can lipread and had never spoke a complete sentence in my entire life?

Oh, that's a very good question. I think they'd be amazed.

Whereas there's a SMALL minority that uses Cued Speech. You understand now?

deafdyke - Cuers can/are fluent in English. They do not have to be around other cuers to engage in conversation(s) effectively in English.

There certainly is not a SMALL minority in the world that uses English.

Oh I AM postive..I am so tired of the oralists saying that deaf people who grew up using ASL have poor literacy skills when it is a complete fabrication. I think they say that to justify the reasons for their beliefs that deaf children need to be oral only. :roll:

shel90 - Having fluency in ASL is not the only tool/skill necessary for literacy with printed language. I would agree that having a strong foundation of language is an assest, but it not a stand alone solution.

deafdyke - Cuers can/are fluent in English. They do not have to be around other cuers to engage in conversation(s) effectively in English.

ASL users can also be and are fluent in English, and they have the advantage of being bilingual. Bilingualism has been shown to be advantageous in many areas of learning. Not to mention which, they can communicate with both English users and ASL users.

shel90 - Having fluency in ASL is not the only tool/skill necessary for literacy with printed language. I would agree that having a strong foundation of language is an assest, but it not a stand alone solution.

Having fluency in language is certainly a prerequisite to literacy. A language deprived child will not be a literate child. ASL is the solution to language deprivation for the deaf child, and therefore is, by association, a solution to literacy problems in deaf children.

I am fluent in ASL, and I have excellent oral skills as well. I don't even have a deaf accent. I graduated with honors, and went on to earn a Bachelor's. Guess what? I actually learned ASL first. I am just one example of many successful deaf people. That's why we've been saying the idea behind oralists thinking deaf people that grow up using ASL have poor literacy skills is wrong. We've been promoting the bi-bi approach; we've never said having fluency in ASL is the only tool/skill necessary. We've never claimed ASL to be a stand-alone solution, nor have we claimed having oral skills or cued speech skills a stand-alone solution, either.

I am fluent in ASL, and I have excellent oral skills as well. I don't even have a deaf accent. I graduated with honors, and went on to earn a Bachelor's. Guess what? I actually learned ASL first. I am just one example of many successful deaf people. That's why we've been saying the idea behind oralists thinking deaf people that grow up using ASL have poor literacy skills is wrong. We've been promoting the bi-bi approach; we've never said having fluency in ASL is the only tool/skill necessary. We've never claimed ASL to be a stand-alone solution, nor have we claimed having oral skills or cued speech skills a stand-alone solution, either.

Excellent post, AlleyCat!

Thank you! U, Redfox, and many others are a perfect examples of ASL not interfering with literacy or oral skills.

:gpost:

Yes, they know English, but it's in a little used form. How does a deaf Cuer(with poor speech skills) have a spoken conversation with someone who is an English speaker, but doesn't cue?

Yes, they know English, but it's in a little used form. How does a deaf Cuer(with poor speech skills) have a spoken conversation with someone who is an English speaker, but doesn't cue?

Good point..

loml,

Watch out, if you dare to mention the fact that most people communicate orally, the illogic police will accuse you of being anti-deaf! :) Obviously, they cannot handle the truth.

Rick

loml,

Watch out, if you dare to mention the fact that most people communicate orally, the illogic police will accuse you of being anti-deaf! :) Obviously, they cannot handle the truth.

Rick

No, u cannot handle Deaf culture.

jillio: A second downside would be the relatively few fluent cuers available.
RockDrummer: I don't agree that is a downside of CS itself.

You mean.... like Sign-language

However.... Cued Speech IS a communication system and effective as well.... many will testify to that.... oh, that's right... That doesn't count in your world....
However, it's perfectly natural to promote it as such.... since it is..!!

And no "emperical studies"........ are you sure..... or you never checked.... Ah.. OK... got it....
you obviously missed that post:
Well, no need to go back....

OK... perhaps not Vieu et.al.

You haven't been able to find relevant studies yourself... interesting...

All valid points Cloggy.
Rick

And that is exactly where you are mistaken, and sadly mistaken at that.

Likewise, I suggest you check both the spelling and the nature of empirical. What you have provided is a case study. It is an example of one child: hardly empirical evidence. More anecdotal in nature.
Oh, Jillio... checking my spelling.... that's all you can come up with...
Tsjk tskj

But to get back to the real point.....
Correct me if I'm wrong /why would I ask you that... you would anyway - wouldn't you..)
A case-study contains of qualitative empirical data.... and of course there are those that claim that only quantitative data is scientific of nature.....

Would you subcribe to such a view....???

Cloggy, the diffy is that there's a significent minority that uses ASL/sign. Whereas there's a SMALL minority that uses Cued Speech. You understand now?
It's exactly like the way in this country, Spanish is a significent minority, but you won't find too many Catalan speakers or speakers of Basque here in the US.
I know, I agree, you're right....
so... that's my point.... I'm not talking about CS in USA... I'm talking about CS..

Yes, they know English, but it's in a little used form.

deafdyke - Reading, writting and speaking English is
a little used form.????:shock:

How does a deaf Cuer(with poor speech skills) have a spoken conversation with someone who is an English speaker, but doesn't cue?

I have not met a deaf/Deaf Cuer with poor/unintelligible speech skills. However, if this were the case the option of pen and paper in written English is available to them.:)

AlleyCat - I also said this...
I would agree that having a strong foundation of language is an assest, but it not a stand alone solution. ASL first,would you please share how this occurred for you?

Would you please share your circumstances surrounding learning ASL first?

:ty:

Well said.

Back