What has a CI allowed you to do that before you couldn't

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ROTFL about the poop sound, Deafdyke! Yep, I think I recognize you too (deafwomyn?) from SHHH. Honestly, I agree-- some of them can be VERY closed-minded... Ugh. There's a few folks there that are really nice and I still keep in touch with some, but others.... feh!

Deafscuba, yeah I know what you mean about hearing the movie sounds... as time goes on you'll start to hear more and more things.. I have had mine for 3 years and only recently discovered that the little paper clip guy on the computer (the one that pops up when you use Microsoft Word) makes "boing-boing" noises and also a variety of other funny sounds. Weird!

Yep, I think I recognize you too (deafwomyn?) from SHHH. Honestly, I agree-- some of them can be VERY closed-minded... Ugh. There's a few folks there that are really nice and I still keep in touch with some, but others.... feh!
*grin* Am I THAT obvious? Yeah, there are some nice folks there....but a lot of them are just almost......like the type of folks who get excited reading about Health 101 issues, or the type who collect Precious Moments and Thomas Kinkaid stuff! I am so beyond glad someone who was a regular poster at SHHH, agrees with me! Do you agree with me that the number one reason why there aren't too many young dhh folks, is that most of them aren't too interested in Hearing Health 101? I still can't believe I got banned.
God, I'm not saying that hoh kids should only sign....I'm just saying that it should be an OPTION for most hoh kids...including kids with mild losses and unilateral loss!

Have you ever experienced this?

A friend of mine has a CI. Today, this friend was not wearing the CI because the connecting wire had broken off. During a quiet time during class, all of a sudden this friend looked at me and signed, "What was that loud noise?" I replied that there was no noise, none. No one else in the room reacted to any noise either. My friend signed again, "I heard a big noise, like thunder, BOOM!" But there was no noise.

What could cause that sensation?

Reba said:
Have you ever experienced this?

A friend of mine has a CI. Today, this friend was not wearing the CI because the connecting wire had broken off. During a quiet time during class, all of a sudden this friend looked at me and signed, "What was that loud noise?" I replied that there was no noise, none. No one else in the room reacted to any noise either. My friend signed again, "I heard a big noise, like thunder, BOOM!" But there was no noise.

What could cause that sensation?

Er....no I have not and I do have a CI. As for what could it be, I don't know but something is going on. Tinnitus is one thing (phantom sounds of varying intensity that probably most of us have experienced at some point in our lives) but what you are describing sounds scary to me. I think your friend needs to get that checked out.

Well this is a blessing to hear... I am scheduled for surgery on November 8th, and I had been debating on this for the last 3 years. I tried 4 years ago, but they told me because I could still talk on the phone they wouldn't do the surgery. So then finally I tried again this past summer and then they said I would make a better candidate. I have watched my hearing loss drop form mild hearing loss to moderate to severe to now almost profoundly deaf. ANd with my current job, requiring alot of phones and meetings and etc it has become difficult where a hearing aid does not suffice. So, now I am trying the CI, my father had a CI implant last year and he is hearing things I couldnt believe he would hear. Now he CAN'T understand speech well - but I think in the meantime his understanding of people has improved. I am having my surgery done by the same doctor and he indicated my situation will be MUCH better than my father because my father has never heard sounds and he is like 64 years old, while I am a mere 35 years old and I used to be able to hear sounds and words quite well. THey did explain that the sounds would sound mechanical for a little while but then it would sound normal afterwards. And reading all this makes me feel a little bit better about my CI plans. But I sure know the deaf community once they find out are gonna give me the third degree. :bump: :laugh2: But oh well, I am not living my life for them, I do not look at this as a CURE for my deafness but a mere portal in my ability to do my job at work. Thanks for posting stuff like this, this makes my decision even easier. Will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Deflord,

From one CI lover to you....the doctors are telling you the truth about the way things will sound.....do not be surprised if you only hear a click for a day or to....your brain is now getting 22 or more channels of sound going to it and it has to figure out what to do with them first.

But do get rid of your BTE asap...as for me it help to make the voices more normal....and now every one sounds fine.

were are you having your implant done....I had mine done at MCV in Virginia

Take care and good luck

I wish I could get rid of the BTE now but I can't I use it for work all the time. So but once I get the CI turned on then I will get rid of the BTE. I am having mine done here in Houston - at Baylor/Methodist Hospital - with Dr. Newton Coker. I am having it done on November 8th - so how long before you get it turned on? 2-3 weeks?

DefLord said:
...so how long before you get it turned on? 2-3 weeks?

That is about right. I went 2 1/2 weeks before being turned on. Was the longest two weeks without sound in my life. I was fine for the first two weeks than I just couldn't stand it. It turned out just fabulous for me....

My friend has had the CI for about five months now. Friend is in mid-20's. Friend can hear every little footstep and chair squeak but can't use a regular telephone. Friend's occupation requires using a regular phone, and lots of daily customer face-to-face communication. Friend cannot understand speech with CI.

How long does it take before someone can fully communicate with a CI?

Has your friend ever heard words before?? or was she profoundly deaf all her life. It makes a difference when you have experience hearing words before and when you have never heard words before.

Deflord, you won't nessarily get dumped from the community......it's become a LOT more accepted in the past few years.

Ummm actually I probably will -

1) I come from a deaf family
2) My brother and I are pretty known in the Gallaudet community
3) I had been an advocate with deaf community for years

So - but yes I have started to see more acceptance within the community - I got slammed when I married my hearing wife. So this will be nothing new! ;) :Ohno:

haha

Oh, I wasn't saying that you're NOT gonna get criticized.....just that the criticism has gone DOWN......and I mean once more and more Deaf folks get it people will stop seeing it as a threat and accept it. Way back when hearing aids were first introduced, a lot of Deafies were against them!
and I mean......you say you have a progressive loss? From mild to profound? A lot of the Deafies who are anti-CI are probaly those dumbass seperatists who think that hoh folks have no need of deaf culture.

yes I have progressive hearing loss.. Actually most people looked at me as a deafie anyways. :) But heck! I have to look out for myself!

Alrighty ya'll thanks for the tips!

DefLord said:
Has your friend ever heard words before?? or was she profoundly deaf all her life. It makes a difference when you have experience hearing words before and when you have never heard words before.
My friend became deaf as a child (post-lingual) and was raised mostly oral/aural, and using hearing aids. My friend signs mostly English.

It makes a difference when you have experience hearing words before and when you have never heard words before.
Just to add to this, I think the research has indicated that even kids who lost their hearing as babies, do better then kids who never ever have been exposed to sound normally, even for a short while.

Reba said:
First post...My friend has had the CI for about five months now. Friend is in mid-20's. Friend can hear every little footstep and chair squeak but can't use a regular telephone. Friend's occupation requires using a regular phone, and lots of daily customer face-to-face communication. Friend cannot understand speech with CI.

How long does it take before someone can fully communicate with a CI?

Second post...My friend became deaf as a child (post-lingual) and was raised mostly oral/aural, and using hearing aids. My friend signs mostly English.

To answer your first question...there is no specific time limit really how long it can take one to understand speech. It can be the same day (like me and others), it could be several weeks to several months, it could be much longer and of course, one may not ever really get speech down.

There is no guarantees when a person gets a CI. Having said that, there are good probabilities in how a person might do with a CI. If your friend was oral all their life, then the probability would have been considered good. Still, it can be difficult for one reason or another for one to get the hang of speech with CI. I'd say to your friend to have patience with the speech part. Just tell your friend to keep working at it. The fact that there is environmental sounds is pretty good and very encouraging itself. I heard of others finally getting speech down after a longer period than five months.

But heck! I have to look out for myself!
True, true.....and I do undy, but still.....I think it's becoming a lot more accepted then it was in the past......quick question....have you tried a body worn aid? You might have the type of loss where size=power. It might be worth it just to try, if you still have some speech perception left. But if you don't....I'd opt for CI!

Oh OK......But still.....you might find a body worn aid of use in your unimplanted ear....Just a word of advice. And anyway, CIs are covered by health insurances and stuff (which is AWESOME for you!)whereas hearing aids aren't......grrrrrrr!

Back