What happens if the Supreme Court strikes down 'Obamacare'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
.Next week, the Supreme Court will begin hearing three days of arguments over the constitutionality of President Obama's sweeping overhaul of the health care system. It is a massive piece of legislation, with numerous moving parts, that will have a significant impact on American society if it's allowed to stand. Similarly, its defeat would trigger a wave of important repercussions — not only on health care, but on Congress and the November presidential election. Here, five possible ramifications if the court rejects the controversial reform law:

1. Health care reform goes back to the drawing board

If the court strikes down the entire law, it will kill a broad new entitlement "before it has a chance to take root" and fulfill its goal of bringing coverage to 30 million people who are currently uninsured, say Mark Sherman and Ricardo Alonso Zaldivar at Insurance Journal. Parts of the law that are already in effect — such as one that allows young adults under the age of 26 to remain on their parents' coverage — would have to be "rolled back." To address rising health care costs and to cover the uninsured, Congress will have to "roll the ball up the hill again."

2. Health care reform is patched back together

The individual mandate — which requires most Americans to purchase insurance — is the most contentious aspect of "Obamacare." The court might void only that element and leave the rest of the reform package intact. Supporters of the provision say it's critical: Without everyone in the country taking part, it's impossible to cover those with expensive or debilitating illnesses. If the mandate goes, Congress can replace it by imposing a "new tax" on those who opt out of health insurance, or by passing incentives to encourage young, healthy people to enroll, says David Morgan at Reuters. That's unlikely, however, because it would require bipartisan support "during an election year when Republicans are already moving to repeal" the law.

SEE MORE: Will Obama's contraception compromise help his campaign?

3. Chaos in the health care industry

Insurance companies and hospital chains stand to benefit from the legislation, since it will offer them 30 million new customers. If the individual mandate were repealed, you'd see shares of those companies "drop steeply" because they would stand to lose all those customers, says Lewis Krauskopf at Reuters.

4. Congress' authority is curbed

Striking down the law would be a "grave step" in reorganizing the balance of power between Congress and the Supreme Court, Neal Katyal, a former acting U.S. solicitor general, tells The Huffington Post. The court would essentially remove Congress from "the national discourse" on how to solve the problems of health care. Instead, the court should let the democratic process work: "Look if you don't like Obamacare, there's a very easy solution, which is to vote the president out of office."

5. Republicans proclaim a political victory

The court's decision "will be of immense importance to Americans and a president seeking re-election in November," says Dan Robinson at Voice of America. If the law is struck down, "opponents will claim victory and argue" that Obama "mishandled his signature legislative achievement." It will also focus the conversation on the health care law, which is still politically unpopular — and Obama doesn't want that either.

What happens if the Supreme Court strikes down 'Obamacare'? - Yahoo! News

I will be severely concern if entire law is strike down, however strike individual mandate only down is no concern for me.

6. TxGolfer hosts a giant party.

6. TxGolfer hosts a giant party.

Obviously nonsense and bullshit party.

There are many people will suffer if entire law is strike down, even you don't care, except for yourself.

Obviously nonsense and bullshit party.

There are many people will suffer if entire law is strike down, even you don't care, except for yourself.

I want it struck down BECAUSE I care about everyone.....now and in the future too. :)

not gonna happen.

I want it struck down BECAUSE I care about everyone.....now and in the future too. :)

No, you don't but yourself.

Most of health care laws are necessary for us, except for individual mandate.

If I break my toe again, I will ask Foxrac to cover my doctor bills for me.

Thank you Foxrac for being so generous with your money to cover my bills bro!

and what if you're disabled and can't work? old and can't work? extremely poor and can't afford food? feel free to ask us to cover your bills.

Society takes care of each other. African/South American tribes do this and we even can't do that despite of our great wealth and power? sad.

and what if you're disabled and can't work? old and can't work? extremely poor and can't afford food? feel free to ask us to cover your bills.

Society takes care of each other. African/South American tribes do this and we even can't do that despite of our great wealth and power? sad.

Umm ... no. African tribes practice ethnic cleansing and murder.

How an African civil war turned to ethnic cleansing - Telegraph

We have prevented that with our great wealth and power in many parts of the world. We have "taken care" of those who cannot care for themselves. But shouldn't people who CAN take care of themselves do so? Why not cut unemployment for those who CAN work but refuse to? Same for SSI.

No, I'm not responsible to cover your medical bill but your insurance does.

Again, what's most retard post that you had!

Umm ... no. African tribes practice ethnic cleansing and murder.

How an African civil war turned to ethnic cleansing - Telegraph

We have prevented that with our great wealth and power in many parts of the world. We have "taken care" of those who cannot care for themselves. But shouldn't people who CAN take care of themselves do so? Why not cut unemployment for those who CAN work but refuse to? Same for SSI.

THIS! So many people out there looking for excuses not to work and free rides. It's disgusting.

Wishful thinking.

It certainly is wishful thinking when so many people are unwilling to work when they absolutely can. Self reliance is becoming a thing of the past. Let's all just depend on the government to kiss our little boo boo when we get hurt like the good dear nanny they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back