what does to be "respectable" ,means to you?? i want see your different values...!

Obviously, respectable often means being an authority figure, well-dressed and approachable, but knowledgable and aloof at the same time, in a revered institution, whether church, school, courthouse, Senate office, or company with stock.

On the other hand a person might be deemed respectable because they took a stand about something. The word is paradoxical because many respectable people forfeit respect by being basically incapable of taking a stand, spineless people.

What I was taught is that a respectable person is someone who doesn't show too much skin, doesn't curse, says thank you and please, always has combed hair and doesn't wear jeans with the knees torn. lol seriously

Treats others decently, no matter their social standing or lack of. Is kind to children and animals.

Doesn't take advantage of others and strives to be considerate.

Manages money carefully and doesn't overspend. Gives charity.

Does not show off, either money, or superior skills, etc.

I thought of Benito Mussolini, or Josip Broz Tito, when it comes to be "respected".

In modern time, well, Vaclav Klaus (Czech president who recently will be replaced by elect this year) known for his brave Eurosceptic distance.

In films... Hmm... I think of Christian Bale in the Equilibrium movie. Great dystopian nightmare film.

Authors... Hmm, I think of Leszek Kolakowski for his Marxist revisionist books.

In fictional books... the gunslinger character Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

This is a good thinking thread.

I've often said that "Respect" is a hard slap in the face by Authoritarians. View topic - Big Play at Kelly School | The Seattle Times

what does being "respectable" means to you,

Botts has all the answers that come to my mind.

Bottom line....don't be an asshole to others, even if you disagree with them.

What I was taught is that a respectable person is someone who doesn't show too much skin, doesn't curse, says thank you and please, always has combed hair and doesn't wear jeans with the knees torn. lol seriously

You have just described 75% of all the girls in my daughter's high school....:lol:

I guess a Muslim lady would win that award... LOL

In term of respectability... It reminded me of quote from Albert Einstein

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”

In term of respectability... It reminded me of quote from Albert Einstein

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”

I don't really respect Einstein, especially since he stole the Relativity Theory from a Italian scientist. He worked at a patent office, thus obtaining and reading papers. This is how he got the theory idea.

The respectable is about good faith and manner, also try to make fair and have a good sense to discuss in this forum.

One thing is that anyone who does not show respect for being different is not showing a very good value of being kind and generous to us. What I am talking about is that we don't like being taking advantage or having our culture or tradition taken away from us with no respect for us as human beings. Also they have to respect us for our much needed accommodations for the things we need very badly but they don't show respect when they try to change us to be like them. Native and disability. :(

Edit: I struggle both of them (Native and deaf) and I want respect from them, but they are not giving me at all. White people made me do what they want and make me suffered. Geeze :mad:

Acknowledging and accepting people for their differences is indeed an important component of maturity.

Respect is treating someone in the way you would like to be treated. Allowing others to be who they are without trying to change them. Honoring yourself and others, taking into consideration the views and desires of others.

Respect is...loving yourself
Respect is...friendship
Respect is...taking your partner's feelings into consideration
Respect is...forgiving
Respect is...keeping an open mind
Respect is...trying to understand your partner's viewpoint
Respect is...trust and honesty
Respect is...building a person up instead of tearing them down
Respect is...nonviolence
Respect is…apologizing
Respect is…being thankful

But before you can respect others, you need to respect yourself first.

Respect is treating someone in the way you would like to be treated. Allowing others to be who they are without trying to change them. Honoring yourself and others, taking into consideration the views and desires of others.

Respect is...loving yourself
Respect is...friendship
Respect is...taking your partner's feelings into consideration
Respect is...forgiving
Respect is...keeping an open mind
Respect is...trying to understand your partner's viewpoint
Respect is...trust and honesty
Respect is...building a person up instead of tearing them down
Respect is...nonviolence
Respect is…apologizing
Respect is…being thankful

But before you can respect others, you need to respect yourself first.

easy said than done,

but to me, this is a boring, new-age neo-right politicial mind fuck to teach people to behave like good children and let governments get away with murder, and raising rax for no reasons...

sorry im blunt, and it may come across as 'wrong' or senseless, but dont be fooled, im not a fool, i know all this, its kinda of plain old world common sense, 'made into a list' thru the fashionable-in-the-90's brain-storming sessions

my intend of this thread is to revolving the word, 'respectable', what does it takes for someone or something to be considered as 'respectable'.
a kind of way to hover between modest, extremity, extraordinary,and extraordinary-but-never-got-that-far-because..., but 'it is an outstanding-because no-one else did it that way' kind of respectable.

Put it real simple, im talking about respectable, which is different from respect. it is more of a mark of recognition, obtained thru a status of an 'underdog'..THAT is what I was hoping to see the various examples of this 'outstanding in the plight of being a 'second best' but it is the best in consideration of...." sort of thing.

im not interested in 'rules of being nice' or rules of good public behaviour, I dont give a flying fuck about it ok. its just norm, and to talk about rules of the norms are BORING. i fall asleep fast when people converse about such childish bullshit in 'youth camps' or 'self-esteem seminars' or 'confidence and relationship courses' blah, leave that elsewhere but here.

gee why is it the world so obsessed with 'being right' or being angelic it is a form of 'socially-accepted' form of mild narccissism in a subtle form, something I avoid like a plague.
sorry my bad, but its my thread so im allowed to remind or re-direct the thread's contents in terms of context.
Thanks though, keep trying!
Im just interested what you all see what's is a mark of respect in something that you are passionate about, whos the underdog, why you admire them, and why you consider it is RESPECTABLE,- something that is not a laughable aspect of their achievement (like not winning a world championshiip in a 15 years world elite racing of such and such or in the ellite of a sport, or someone who makes documentaries, or someone who was once a supermodel but gave it up and went into villages in africa to nurse instead because they 'got real about the real world' sort of thing, to me, :) that's respectable!

Respect and respectable are two different words, related but its not related...um...sorry if this is a riddle...

I consider a person respectable if he or she is of good character. That is, trustworthy, not a hypocrite, considerate of others, and a rational decision maker. That person doesn't have to be famous but usually does have a good name within the community.

I know of people that are very respectable in the community but in their own home they're another story. People that seen respectable may shock you if saw the other side of them. I know of a woman that was a seen as a respectable person and voted best teacher of the year but she could had been voted the worst mother of the year.

I know of people that are very respectable in the community but in their own home they're another story. People that seen respectable may shock you if saw the other side of them. I know of a woman that was a seen as a respectable person and voted best teacher of the year but she could had been voted the worst mother of the year.

Yep, I know of people like that too.

What you see is not always what is.

Respect to me means that one would not need to have to cross over the boundary, even though Person A may not like what Person B is doing but yet, they leave it there despite of the differences.

Back