what does to be "respectable" ,means to you?? i want see your different values...!

Grummer

Reaction score
so as the title of this thread suggests, I prefer to leave it as an open ended question, to ask you all, what does being "respectable" means to you,

you can, throw in what you think of movie characters, or celebrity(s) if you wish, you can draw in from you life experience, say what is 'modest' and how you can say being modest, or having a modest result in such and such is 'respectable' (Ie after trying hard, or in consideration to your understrength or overwight? or what have you)

I hope we all can share the different views and experiences in coming across a real-life or on-screen (audiences experiences) of what is consider respectable,

this can even include, "i admire i cant do this, but good on them" , so dont be afraid ok

Cheers

this thread is about exploring various meanings of 'respect' or guarding from disrepect or intolerance, or even valueing self-determination, im sure we all have it, lets share and see the unknown beauty that other havem but we havent see or recognised...

and please...no fighting...
afterall its about respect and acknowledgeing each person's worth in life's contribution or life's experiences that gives it meaning and value
shoot away!

lastly, before a member replys, it does not have to have do anything with being deaf, or deafness, just life itself, what you like, what you have passion for (but if your passion is deaf related, feel free to post but becareful not to hurt others feelings ok)

I thought of Benito Mussolini, or Josip Broz Tito, when it comes to be "respected".

In modern time, well, Vaclav Klaus (Czech president who recently will be replaced by elect this year) known for his brave Eurosceptic distance.

In films... Hmm... I think of Christian Bale in the Equilibrium movie. Great dystopian nightmare film.

Authors... Hmm, I think of Leszek Kolakowski for his Marxist revisionist books.

In fictional books... the gunslinger character Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

This is a good thinking thread.

hmmm, o k as for writers, theorists goes, to my mind, i find Carl Sagan and Paulo Freire to be my more respected (not the most) because at the moment i need to think a little more, just right now I'm not sober lol, on a organic Chardonnay, slightly oaked and quite enjoying it, darn it tastes nice, buttery but not heavily butters more like light swish of butter on a piklets (mini pancakes for you)...with some nectarine and citrus on palatte yum!..so yea, but also favourites thinkers , artists are many for me, it comes and go, as I think about different things all day long...

hmmm, o k as for writers, theorists goes, to my mind, i find Carl Sagan and Paulo Freire to be my more respected (not the most) because at the moment i need to think a little more, just right now I'm not sober lol, on a organic Chardonnay, slightly oaked and quite enjoying it, darn it tastes nice, buttery but not heavily butters more like light swish of butter on a piklets (mini pancakes for you)...with some nectarine and citrus on palatte yum!..so yea, but also favourites thinkers , artists are many for me, it comes and go, as I think about different things all day long...

haha! I wasn't quite sober when I posted above as well.

Carl Sagan is an admired person, I personally like his Cosmos book as well as Cosmos TV series (even you can find and download them with subtitles which come with the videos).

I just googled up Paulo Freire. Why haven't I heard of him before?

Artist, Hmm... Now that is new. I find H.R. Giger fascinating, a Swiss painter. He is practically the inventor of Alien in Aliens movies as well as graphics depicted in Prometheus. He became a painter as a result of heroin addiction therapy. He and Salvador Sali are well known friends.

I might add more if I think of more "job-related" fields.

I just googled up Paulo Freire. Why haven't I heard of him before?

he was banned in many countries too, and politically unfavourable in many countries (now) of course...

...and trying not to boast, he's an academic writer, which is also probably why...(im into sociology)

put like, why you find this 'respectable"? meaning to say, why you llike it, why is it to be admired?, but i know what you trying to say, just plow forward!

put like, why you find this 'respectable"? meaning to say, why you llike it, why is it to be admired?, but i know what you trying to say, just plow forward!

So, the thread is about admiration of someone or some character and for what reason? OK. I understand.

I always thought the term "respectable" had more to do with being successful, having good job, taking care of yourself, and maybe a family, you know doing stuff for the community. Contributing to society, in I don't know, whatever way.

Damn it's early for getting philosophical, I haven't even finished my coffee.

You don't have to be famous to be respected. Few examples:

1. A friend or family member is frustrated about life. They chose to talk to you. That must make you feel special or/and concerned.

2. Someone is looking for a car. They want to talk to you about a particular model. You feel cool that someone wants your input on certain models.

3. I don't care about anyone associated with Green Bay Packers, but I respect Vince Lombardi. He was and is still good for game of football.

You don't have to be famous to be respected. Few examples:

1. A friend or family member is frustrated about life. They chose to talk to you. That must make you feel special or/and concerned.

2. Someone is looking for a car. They want to talk to you about a particular model. You feel cool that someone wants your input on certain models.

3. I don't care about anyone associated with Green Bay Packers, but I respect Vince Lombardi. He was and is still good for game of football.

This pretty much qualifies for "respectable" characteristics.

I consider a person respectable if he or she is of good character. That is, trustworthy, not a hypocrite, considerate of others, and a rational decision maker. That person doesn't have to be famous but usually does have a good name within the community.

I consider someone "respectable" when they respect themselves and others, along with a good sense of humor thrown in.

My deceased grandfather was and is the most respected person I've ever known. His words...."you may not like or even love me....but you will respect me and my rules and decisions."....still ring true to me today.

I would say living life honestly and productively to the best of your abilities without hurting others.

Might be a slight confusion of definition.

Respectable means what society considers good, proper, or correct.

Respected means what you admire due to the qualities, characteristics, or abilities of.

So I do recognize that there is something considered by society as "respectable," I believe it often puts people into boxes. I don't regard that too highly, because it seems too much like group-think. Although, I'll admit, there is value here.

What I personally respect are people like Carl Sagan, Benjamin Franklin, Harry Browne, Vaclav Havel, anyone who goes against the grain in pursuit of a vision that results in a flowering of freedom and creativity for humanity -- on a small or great scale.

I guess the problem is that there is a yearning for a word respectible that would mean what do I respect on the other hand there is as you say an accepted definition of the word.

I always thought the term "respectable" had more to do with being successful, having good job, taking care of yourself, and maybe a family, you know doing stuff for the community. Contributing to society, in I don't know, whatever way.

Damn it's early for getting philosophical, I haven't even finished my coffee.

good start...:aw:

Might be a slight confusion of definition.

Respectable means what society considers good, proper, or correct.

Respected means what you admire due to the qualities, characteristics, or abilities of.

So I do recognize that there is something considered by society as "respectable," I believe it often puts people into boxes. I don't regard that too highly, because it seems too much like group-think. Although, I'll admit, there is value here.

What I personally respect are people like Carl Sagan, Benjamin Franklin, Harry Browne, Vaclav Havel, anyone who goes against the grain in pursuit of a vision that results in a flowering of freedom and creativity for humanity -- on a small or great scale.

that was the whole point of this thread, to recognise the meaning of it, IS so broad, but share what YOu think it is, and WHY you announce who is respectable, or what Deeds you consider respectable, while even if others might not understand, OR respectable is about acheiveing if not the best, but in 'consideration of ...' it is respectable.

it can be a once renowned auto-racer who never won a world championshit but he/she excelled and probably the best or had raw talent in the Rain, wet tracks as everyone else is pooing their pants...thats respectable to some...or a best technical rider who can test and relate to mechanics, scientists or other riders on how to tweak their bikes tyres,suspension settings to fit their riding style, and different frame technology...thats respectable to me..
see??
im sure we all have different views, and or agrees with what some medias says (ie sport casters, or sports, or debators anything...) but dont bore us with deaf stuff...we get plenty here already..its more to do with what is it when we consider the word respectable, it is so varied, and im sure we'd all learn from each the various ways of what it means.

Back