What does the Deaf Community value?

chati34

Reaction score
I am doing a project for my class, interpersonal intercultural communications. I am hearing but have become very interested in the Deaf Community. I am currently in ASL three and have no intentions in of stopping until I learn ASL well enough to feel comfortable with my skills to communicate clearly. I had to persuade my i.n.c.s. professor to let me do my project on the Deaf community. she wanted me to choose a culture that differed ethnically. Eventually I received her approval. So now I need your help. My first assignment is to get a survey about what the people in the community value. Here are some questions I have thought of.

What does the deaf community value the most?
What do you value the most?
What are two things you love?
What are two things you hate?
What is your favorite activity you do to pass the time, what do you enjoy about it?
Where is you favorite place to go? Why?
What does your family time look like?
Who is the most influential person in your life? Why?
What are your goals?
What do you perceive your existence to be like after you die?
What do you think of Christianity?
What is the best thing that happened to you this year?
What is the worst thing that happened to you this year?
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Is there anything else you have to share with me about what you value? Please feel free.

I would appreciate anyone’s time that would like to share with me their experience and perspectives of the Deaf Community. I am excited to see your responses so that I can get a better idea of what the Deaf community values. Thank you and God bless.

Keep up your ASL!

Hi Chati,
The deaf like do alot of things,like shopping, going to deaf events, restuarnts ect.
Where I live here in Orange County CA the daef go to Starbucks at the Block of Orange the 2nd Friday of the month, and they chat until the "Cows" come home.
The deaf don't like to be put down or teased, or told they "Can't"
Cause they can get jobs and support them selfs and their families too.
Good Luck!
Margie
Dir. Of Communication Services
OCDAC

thanks margie

Thanks Margie for your reply. I am going to the block tonight...I am from Orange County too. Right now I am a student at Biola University.

Thanks for anwering.

Hi Chati,
Hope you enjoy the Block.
Thats one of the ways you can meet deaf people.
I've never been to that Starbucks at the block, cause I don't drive, I take the bus.
Enjoy your evening!
Margie
Dir. of Communication Services
OCDAC

What does the Deaf Community value? they value the same shit as every body else in what ever country that deaf comunity is in... :doh:

The only things they value these days are Sidekicks and VRS. Nothing else matters to them.

Richard

Back