What Does it Mean To Be a Good Friend?

LovingLife

Reaction score
A good friendship can be defined the way you like. Mostly it’s human tendency to make friends who have similar likes and dislikes.

What Does it Mean To Be a Good Friend??

I have no idea!! I had no one who wanted to watch Super Bowl with me. I had no one who wanted to go to 2013 Chicago Auto Show with me. I'm a terrible friend!! If I knew how to fix this problem, then I wouldn't be alone. Maybe someone can help me because I'm lost. I'm not a good friend.

Wirelessly posted

dereksbicycles said:
I have no idea!! I had no one who wanted to watch Super Bowl with me. I had no one who wanted to go to 2013 Chicago Auto Show with me. I'm a terrible friend!! If I knew how to fix this problem, then I wouldn't be alone. Maybe someone can help me because I'm lost. I'm not a good friend.

Try sport bars to hang out with your fave team during football season even visit my NFL talks in the sport section here. I need to be more attentive in there lol just a suggestion :)

a real freind will give up their time with 'others' to hang out with you for a change, people seems to be too afraid to be real, they prefer 'routine' freinds, well those people arent worth much, because they dont know the value of time for other people, i mean they dont realise how much is appreciated by others. Even if its helping out for 1 hour in the garden is an enormous thing, as it bring warmth, bonding, showing humanity, and i sometimes can't believe that in a capitlist society, people are so selfish not just with money, but time.
A real freind gives, times, shares their thoughts, give honest reactions, and give ideas on how to live better and handle difficult people in various situations.

we all only got one life, its not like the 1 day can be put off because you have 7x 30x52x40 days to pick out and allow yourself to say nah not this time to give others. Turn it around, and realise, its 7x 1 days is one week , but in that one week you have commitment to turn up to work on monday to friday (or shift works) , and one day to clean out house, and one day doing nothing, exhausted..maybe during the weeks its attending morning/afternoon/night classes depending on when you work or lifestyle you lead...but that still means PAYING to someone to teach you something, its still the Buying, its not freinds at all....then after all that in 1 week is gone, and repeat, and you have committmeents dueing year like birthdays, work functions, school meetings, and if you dont , it will backfire...again it all about world of work and money...then you have 10 years, then kids are mid-teens then another 10 years they're in university or leaving home *(or left)..times goes A LOT quicker than we realise, and the power to wipe sadness from other people's faces fast dissappears too

being a freind will bring more than what money can buy..
just my 2 cents

A good friend is there for you, truthful and has similar tastes/things as you.

they also makes an attempt to stay in touch. Thats the key here I believe.

To me...a "true" friend is someone who doesn't turn their backs on you in times of need...someone you enjoy doing things with together, along with laughter, even tears at times....A true friend is someone you can totally Trust...and value their opinions, hurtful or not....Someone you don't hesitate to call "sis" or "bro"....Someone who's opinions and likes/dislikes counter with ur own....

also even if not seen them or hear from them you know link still there and you pick up like you saw them yesterday,no judge them but also prepare tell them truth and keep confidence some of my friends know stuff about me even family dont know visa versa and it staying that way

A good friend is someone you can feel truly yourself and accepted for who you are and likewise.

I was having a deep conversation about this yesterday. We concluded that some people have lots of meaningless friends and others prefer a few very close ones. We were both the sort of people who always seemed to be on the fringes of social groups.

A good friendship can be defined the way you like. Mostly it’s human tendency to make friends who have similar likes and dislikes.

What Does it Mean To Be a Good Friend??

anywhere. anytime.

My best friends trust wasn't much of a consideration because the power to forgive was so rocking. I think what I treasured about my best friends was that we were drawn together, and that mutual love, that comraderie, was powerful enough that the time spent together wasn't even given thought.

I have always considered myself very blessed when it comes to friends. In all my years, I have never had a really bad or negative experience with anyone who has been a friend ... until recently. Now I am feeling the sting of a friend who 'has done me wrong' (for lack of a better way to put it) and it hurts, is frustrating and has shaken me. While defining what a good friend is can be difficult, I now know what a good friend isn't. Live and learn.

To me being a good friend doesn't mean having many friends, it means being there for your friends when they need you, standing by them not only when they are fine but there when they need you the most. Lending them a shoulder to cry on and letting them know that no matter what you will stand by them. Being understanding, forgiving, and not trying to change them, you never know why they do what they do. Giving unconditional love and non-judgmental advice and support on their life journey.

Being Dependable…
Being Real…
Being Loyal…
Being Respectful…
Being honest…
Being able to apologize…

“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” - Bernard Meltzer

“The best way to destroy an enemy is to make the person a friend” – Abraham Lincoln

Which to note...got a VP call yesterday...from my "best, best, best friend"...haven't seen her in 10 years!...we went to school together at NCSD....and we call each other "cuz"....there's still the deepest connection between us...laughing and crying (due to her seperation from her hubby of 25 years)....and our just plainly missing each other....:hmm:...planning a trip to see her out of state very soon.

When life has slammed you up against a wall and you are a crumpled form on the floor with nothing left but the ability to breath and time passes as you struggle to survive. The ones who do their best to make contact and say how I am here for ya ... and they really are.
Those are your real friends. They are the real blessing of life.

A good friend is someone you have known for 30+ years, that has always been there for you in times of need, advice, helped with things... I have one I have known since grade school, went to the same schools grew up a block from eachother, and to this day still help eachother when time permits ( everyone is married now and has a life ) but we are still there when needed just to talk if all else fails.

Back