What do I need to build my own pc?

x10oT

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm planning to build my own custom computer in this summer.. I just to know what materials and/or hardwares I need to build my own custom computer?

You need:

Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Hard drive
CD/DVD (optical drive)
ATX case
fans/heatsinks
flash memory drive(s) (if neccessary)
O/S install of your own, software (of course)

Hope this helps :)

I was looking for some hardware on net.. but I saw some item with "OEM" so what is "OEM"?

(pronounced as separate letters) Short for original equipment manufacturer, which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers -- they are the customizers.

If you buy OEM products and then requires to buy add-on such as thumb screw and etc there is no warranties, no manuals, no driver disk on these OEM's..

I recommended get retailer products (whole pack with manuals and driver disk), such new hard drive with manual, disk and warranty informations).

x10oT said:
Flash Memory Drive?? What's that?

Flash memory drive is a device that reads tiny flash cards that come from digital cameras, PDAS, etc. It's like digital photo card, you know?

sequoias said:
You need:

Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Hard drive
CD/DVD (optical drive)
ATX case
fans/heatsinks

you forget add a floppy driver

DoVip said:

Actually, floppy disks are declining in popularity these days. More and more computer makers are not including them with their computers. I think Dell don't even include it anymore.

DoVip said:

I didn't forget the floppy drive. I didn't list it, because it's not worth it. Why do I need 1.4 MB ancient piece of plastic? CD-RW or hard drives and USB flash cards are WORTH it more than a wimpy floppy drive. ;) I stopped using floppies since 1999. :D

Wow! you all forgot the most important thing to build your own PC...

Answer? M O N E Y!

That is main reason why I decided quit buiding my own PC. It is getting very expensive to go this route. Yes, it is nice to build your own PC, but believe me, it will be as good as for 5 to 7 years, after that its OUTDATED regardless how well it runs. So I bought my PC right off from shelves and I love it! Cost what? half to quarter of what it would cost me to build one.

My advise to all, GO FOR AMD Athlon64. Intel is now way behind and will be incompatible with next release of Windows OS (Possible WIN XP64 release this Fall) That is only rumor, and I do believe 64 because of beta test requirement mentioning requirement of 64 bits. So, all except one Intel CPU won't work with XP64! Only Intel Xeon will work and it is VERY expensive CPU. Im not quite sure about AMD Serpron as it does not mention wheather it is 32 or 64 bits platform. So, in other words 32 bits platform will be outdated within 2 years from now.

sequoias said:
You need:

Processor
Motherboard
RAM
Hard drive
CD/DVD (optical drive)
ATX case
fans/heatsinks

You forgot the video and modem card.

I will go for a SATA HD. Make sure the motherboard is SATA compatible.

One question, what are you using your next computer for?

Dextreme said:
You forgot the video and modem card.

I will go for a SATA HD. Make sure the motherboard is SATA compatible.

One question, what are you using your next computer for?
RAID?

Next computer is going to be my gaming pc which I can play games online and graphic (adobe photoshops, macromedia programs and etc).. The reason why I hate my current computer is because the memory is very slow, processor is slow, and how the computer run is suck and even my video card is very low *16MB*! so My future gaming computer will do what I need! :thumb:

You need only 128 MB video card to run latest games like Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Halo Evolved Combat if you plan to buy later.

As for RAMs (memory cards), some are modified to work with specified motherboard for better performance and speed. Make sure which ones match your motherboard's.

Also, cooling fans are requested to keep processor cool. You need a intake and exhale fans. Check the case to see if there's enough fans. I recommanded Cooler Master cases because they're usually have more than 2 fans with dust filters on. Also they're built with thick aluminium....yes whole case! Included removable motherboard tray for easy install or upgrade.
Or go with cooling liquid system if you could afford their price. Some systems are usually external ones outside the computer. But if you want an internal system, make sure case have enough room for it.

Where you going to purchase parts from? Tigerdirect.com has everything you need to build.

Deathpit said:
You need only 128 MB video card to run latest games like Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Halo Evolved Combat if you plan to buy later.

As for RAMs (memory cards), some are modified to work with specified motherboard for better performance and speed. Make sure which ones match your motherboard's.

Also, cooling fans are requested to keep processor cool. You need a intake and exhale fans. Check the case to see if there's enough fans. I recommanded Cooler Master cases because they're usually have more than 2 fans with dust filters on. Also they're built with thick aluminium....yes whole case! Included removable motherboard tray for easy install or upgrade.
Or go with cooling liquid system if you could afford their price. Some systems are usually external ones outside the computer. But if you want an internal system, make sure case have enough room for it.

Where you going to purchase parts from? Tigerdirect.com has everything you need to build.

Gotta be sure it's the right video card, not just the VRAM "128 MB" will get u the best card. ATI Radeon 9800, Geforce 6800, Radeon X900, etc are the best for gaming. ;)

I buy all my computer parts from:

Newegg.com
zipzoomfly.com

If you order from any online computer stores, make sure the shipping address is on the credit card's file, because if the shipping address that you gave is not on the file, they won't ship the stuffs. If you are shipping to the same address as your credit card address, you don't have to worry about it.

If you order from Zipzoomfly.com, they will call you to verify the order to your credit card, and it can be a pain for deaf people with TTY.

Good luck picking out the vedio card... :mrgreen:

Banjo said:
Actually, floppy disks are declining in popularity these days. More and more computer makers are not including them with their computers. I think Dell don't even include it anymore.
Yeah, my iMac didn't have a floppy drive. I had to hook up an external one by USB. Reason? I had a bunch of files on floppies that I needed to transfer. My older Mac before the iMac had floppy drive only, no CD.

Back