What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have four 1 gallon milk cartons w/water in my freezer in case I lose electricity. If I do, I will put two of them in the fridge. Also making sure my ice bin is full.

We're not expecting a blizzard here, but things can still be bad with the winds.

Well, that might be better than economics. At least better than the class I took many years ago when the teacher just sat at his desk and read out of the book. The subject was boring enough w/o having a boring teacher read to us.

Ewwwwwww. I hate classes where they just read their powerpoints/textbooks/whatever. I go for supplemental information and clarification, not so that I can hear whatever it is I can just as easily read. That's awful.

The topics IN the textbook are things I'm familiar with, but the tiny writing, blocks of text, monochrome, mind-numbing amount of reading we have to do doesn't help. (57 pages of reading for that one class, in one week. I have four other classes, thank you). Yeah. That sounds like it blows, though....

Ewwwwwww. I hate classes where they just read their powerpoints/textbooks/whatever. I go for supplemental information and clarification, not so that I can hear whatever it is I can just as easily read. That's awful.

The topics IN the textbook are things I'm familiar with, but the tiny writing, blocks of text, monochrome, mind-numbing amount of reading we have to do doesn't help. (57 pages of reading for that one class, in one week. I have four other classes, thank you). Yeah. That sounds like it blows, though....

In his defense, if he deserves one, it was a night class so he was probably tired from his day job, especially if it was an economics day job. But all my other evening teachers were never that boring.

I learned my daughter who lives in Ireland found a job. She became a dual citizen Ireland/USA a few months ago. That definitely helped her in her job hunt. Unfortunately her job is an hour bus ride from home. This job will pay her bills why she continues to search for a job in her field of studies.

She also wants us to sell her car, so that means she has no plans on returning to the USA anytime soon. It will be easy to sell, low mileage, great condition and perfect for a student or a commute car.

In his defense, if he deserves one, it was a night class so he was probably tired from his day job, especially if it was an economics day job. But all my other evening teachers were never that boring.

True, but still. There's a difference (to me) between being tired and just flat-out not elaborating on anything. I'd take boring presentation of useful information above and beyond what I get from the materials, over exciting presentation of just reading the book/etc.

I hope he's working on that.

True, but still. There's a difference (to me) between being tired and just flat-out not elaborating on anything. I'd take boring presentation of useful information above and beyond what I get from the materials, over exciting presentation of just reading the book/etc.

I hope he's working on that.

I suspect he's no longer teaching and may not be alive. This was back in the early 80's.

Hope you guys are alright. I saw something (for if your tap water is potable) that you can put in your bathtub and fill up, and it'll hold the water instead of it just sloshing around in the tub. Like a giant plastic bag...

But I digress, I'm sending best wishes out to everyone in the northeast.

My tap water is not drinkable so I have a 12 gallons of bottled water and I am going to fill some pots of taps and my tub to flush my toilet if my city lose power . I brought a new flash light and went I got and read the back I saw this warning on it. " This product may contain chemicals known to the State
of California to cause cancer , birth defect or productive harm. Wash hands after handling " . WTF ! If the flashlight can do all why the hell is it on the market ! I am going to return it. :shock:

My tap water is not drinkable so I have a 12 gallons of bottled water and I am going to fill some pots of taps and my tub to flush my toilet if my city lose power . I brought a new flash light and went I got and read the back I saw this warning on it. " This product may contain chemicals known to the State
of California to cause cancer , birth defect or productive harm. Wash hands after handling " . WTF ! If the flashlight can do all why the hell is it on the market ! I am going to return it. :shock:

You may not like it but I bet you city tap water is safe to drink.

My tap water is not drinkable so I have a 12 gallons of bottled water and I am going to fill some pots of taps and my tub to flush my toilet if my city lose power . I brought a new flash light and went I got and read the back I saw this warning on it. " This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer , birth defect or productive harm. Wash hands after handling " . WTF ! If the flashlight can do all why the hell is it on the market ! I am going to return it. :shock:

That's on so many products I think it's just trace elements. It's even on my car...Probably there just to cover their butts, but it never hurts to be safe. Haven't often seen "Wash hands after handling" though.........

Crossing my fingers for you, this sounds like you're in for a doozy.

Maybe use a filter? Could work. But then, some cities have truly awful water.

Taste-wise, sure I've heard of that. But no city would dispense water that was unsafe or undrinkable. There would be lawsuits. There are times when a city's water filtration system needs repairs, but it's usually handled fast and letters sent to residents. It surely isn't undrinkable for all time, I'm sure.

People seem to think that he Meals on Wheels program only job is to deliver meals to the elderlies . I got an email from my city councilor saying no MOW would be delivered on Tuesday and Wednesday . Damn so elderlies that live alone and have no family will not be having anyone checking up on them during the storm . :( I worked during storms to check up on my clients. I asked my city councilor if anyone was going to be checking up on the
elderlies .

Taste-wise, sure I've heard of that. But no city would dispense water that was unsafe or undrinkable. There would be lawsuits. There are times when a city's water filtration system needs repairs, but it's usually handled fast and letters sent to residents. It surely isn't undrinkable for all time, I'm sure.

There's something else to consider. A water main pipe break that directly leads to a water treatment plant. That happened very recently, and the residents lost ALL of their reserve water from the water tower. They had to fix the main, and placed a boil order to ensure no harmful baterica compromised the drinking water, which came back negative. Now, that kind of stuff doesn't happen too often around here.

Doesn't happwn too often, as you said. That was kind of my point. It's rare that city water is undrinkable and if it were, residents are notified. But to just generally say water is undrinkable? No. It would be an unusual instance.

I recently moved out into the country, and for the first time ever, I'm using well water. There are days when it doesn't run super clear, or even has a rotten-egg smell to it, but it's safe. It was tested six times before closing. Nobody's going to let people drink unsafe water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back