What deafness has taught me

Dakini

Reaction score
I thought about what has my experience living my life as a deaf person taught me, these things came to mind:

• forgive others for their ignorance because I have had to encounter this often. I have learnt to understand that just because people make assumptions or have a lack of awareness about something does not mean that they do it on purpose. It just happens and is not something to stress over. I just instead focus on how I can help educate people and help them become more aware which in turn eliminates their own ignorance.
  • how important an I-can-do attitude is as I have always tried to show people that it is not what I can't do but rather what it is that I can do that should matter the most. Usually people realize that what I can do weighs so much more than what I cannot do which is hearing.
  • patience not only with others but with myself as well because I occasionally have had to ask people to repeat what they are saying to me. If I did not have patience, then I would be shutting myself out from connecting with people. I also had to learn to have patience with myself when I have trouble speaking or having trouble being understood and trying harder to speak much more clearer.
  • to really look at people for who they are inside because some people think that just because what a person lacks on the outside equates to what they lack within. Not true! I have learnt that everybody has a perfect and whole soul inside that is so worth knowing. That whatever is wrong on the outside does not matter at all.
  • how important eye contact is (Hearing people should place importance on this.) because this is a sign of respect and acknowledgment. It is like saying "I am seeing you." I had this hearing friend before, he told me that he felt like he was being "seen" for who he is with me more than most people because I really take the time to really "look'" at him. It is not so much about my eyes, it is more about my effort to really connect with the person deeper. Eyes are the windows to the soul.
  • what my body lacks in no way diminishes the capacity for my spirit to be whole. Just because we are missing something in our physical body in no way interferes with our ability to be very happy, complete and at peace. A lot of people have fears that if they lose something on their physical body that they would be miserable. Not true! In order to be truly happy and complete, we must become detached from our bodies.
  • to look within and enjoy my own company as there were numerous times I have felt left out because I did not understand what was going on in my surroundings, so I've always relied on myself to keep me company. I just naturally found out how fascinating the journey within is, that there is a whole world there to explore!
  • humbleness as being deaf is considered inferior to society's standards. I just felt okay and humble with it that I never saw or felt myself being any less inferior despite people's perceptions. This taught me a lot about feeling humble in all circumstances in general.
  • compassion towards others who are experiencing similiar struggles in life and being able to connect and relate with them.
  • to love others regardless of what imperfections they have
  • strength and confidence in myself
  • to appreciate that silence is golden! It is in the stillness within that we know ourselves, that we know peace.

Feel free to add your own!

To strive so that Nothing becomes Impossible, and yes as my quote says:

Be a first rate version of yourself, and not a second rate version of anyone else!!

By the way I simply loved what you wrote...

You seem a very inspirational and highly motivated individual...

I think I will learn a lot from you!!

Thanks so much!!

Kashveera

Dakini,

Just beauitful! I really admire in what you wrote, It puts a smile upon my face. ;)

Thank you Dakini. You brought tears to my eyes. We should all be as insightful as you.

This article is very well said and also very inspirational. That pretty much covers up what I think of but there is one thing I also would like to add - Acceptance is always taken into consideration. You cannot deal with everything that is going on around you until you come to the term of acceptance.

acceptance

This article is very well said and also very inspirational. That pretty much covers up what I think of but there is one thing I also would like to add - Acceptance is always taken into consideration. You cannot deal with everything that is going on around you until you come to the term of acceptance.

I agree with you Jolie with regards to acceptance! I accept the way things are around me all the time.

Back