What brand of hearing aids do you wear?

How exciting!! Good luck with your new aids!! :)

I just got my new hearing aids today. They're Siemens Prisma 2 D SP.

They work wonders!! I heard things that I have't heard before!! It works perfectly in my worst ear :D No need for a CI :D

Steve said:
My right ear is deaf.

I started with a BTE in my left as a kid (maybe Qualitone), then got smaller with technology.
Full-Shell Miracle Ear
Half-Shell Starky

Now, I wear a Siemens Music CIC (non-digital). It's 6-years old, so I'm overdue for a new one.

Steve

Actually, my Siemens is 9-years old now. I went to a HAMS audiologist yesterday at the same office as my regular audiologist. My company will pay for my hearing aid(s) if I go through a HAMS point-of-service. I prefer my regular PhD audiologist as he taught all the others around here.

Anyway, the HAMS audiologist is recommending a Oticon (sounds like a "Dr. Evil" industry.) BHE because you can plug lots of stuff into it. :confused: I told her my CIC spoiled me and I doubt I could go back to a BHE.

So, she is ordering a Oticon Tego-Pro CIC. I thought I'd mention it here, then go look it up on their website or other reviews.

I told her I'd take a Bluetooth aid if there ever is one. Then, I could hear my Blackberry phone without holding it up to my head. Or, even connect wirelessly to my soundboard on a computer, etc. Doubt we're there yet.

Steve

Last edited:
I told her my CIC spoiled me and I doubt I could go back to a BHE.
Why? Why are CICs so good? You should really experiment......I know I harp on this, but you might be mostly lipreading rather then actually HEARING...plus with BTEs you can get WICKED cool colors AND the T-coil.....!

I've Oticon Bte renewed h/a's many times before that I'd Starkey once for the first time worn Bte's when I was started in Middle school, Bosch or Beltone (I'm not sure which one I'd a large rectangle about 5" length w/ 3" wide white grey plastic) that was my 2nd body aid and Zenith a gold metal smaller sized about 3" that was my first body aid when I was in Elementary school.

I have Phonak's Supero 413 AZ. Only one though, for my right ear. Got it last year in May, and Vocational Rehab. paid for the HA and FM boot. Once my hearing aid had to be replaced, as it was causing so many problems (turning off on me, crackling sounds, etc.). But it;s been working great for me. I love the Supero even more than the Claro! My Claro hearing aid was completely maxed out and it still just wasn't enough a lot of the times. But on the Supero, there's still plenty of room for more volume if necessary and such.

I've always had Phonak hearing aids. My first pair was Phonic Ear hearing aids... don't know what happened to them. But ever since, it's been Phonak.

shezzbeav: Congratulations on your new hearing aids! :) Several years ago I had a chance to try a Siemans digital aid (whose name I can't remember right now). It was my first digital HA and I wanted to know how they sounded compared to analogs. I *loved* their sound quality but unfortunately they weren't designed for my loss. :(

cdmeggers: You just brought me down memory lane when you mentioned Phonic Ear. :) That's a brand I haven't heard about in years! I believe my first BTE hearing aid was made by Phonic Ear. Since then, I've always worn Oticon BTEs. I've always wanted to try Phonak because I've read such good things about them. Several of my friends have Phonak hearing aids and love them! :)

deafdyke said:
Why? Why are CICs so good? You should really experiment......I know I harp on this, but you might be mostly lipreading rather then actually HEARING...plus with BTEs you can get WICKED cool colors AND the T-coil.....!

I have mild-to-moderate reverse-slope loss in the aided ear. I can hear on the phone better with my CIC than with my half and full shells of the past. Less tendency for feedback. My CIC allows me to wear my Bluetooth headset over my ear and connected wirelessly with my Blackberry phone/pager. I hear better with that headset, than holding the phone there. I have no experience with t-coil.

Right now, my wife is playing a computer game with some annoying noise like pinball machine and it has background music, so I'm playing my MP3 player and the earbud just fits in my ear over the CIC. By the way, the other earbud is for rent. :)

CIC doesn't give me any trouble when putting on and wearing my MC helmet or wearing glasses with different frame thicknesses.

When going out to the shop, I can set the colorful ear plug over my CIC and the other in my rightside deaf ear for decoration. I'm sure OSHA would tell me to take off my aid and place the plug in the ear canal properly. "WHAT?!"
I did try ear muffs with volume control, but they felt like head clamps! Ouch! I still couldn't hear the operators.

For me, the only good thing about the BTE is people would actually recognize that I'm Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing and speak towards me and attempt to speak clearer. I don't have a deaf voice, so hearing people expect me to hear them in the same manner as my speaking.

Battery-life would be anouther plus for BTE. My CIC lasts 5 days. The new one maybe 7 days.

I guess it comes down to personal choice and if the audiologist/HA manufacturer can get everything that is needed crammed in that tight.

Steve

I have mild-to-moderate reverse-slope loss in the aided ear. I can hear on the phone better with my CIC than with my half and full shells of the past. Less tendency for feedback
Oh I see.....it does seem like you have enough aid power there. I'm just really hardcore about aid size b/c of an experinace in jr high when I got ITE aids...thought I could hear with them, and I could....but not as well as with BTEs...thank bob for that M.E.E.I audi who had me put on a BTE!
A t-coil is a switch that allows you to hear on corded phones with NO FEEDBACK, and that also blocks out background noise! I remember one time at school I was listening to music, the phone rang.....I switched it to t-coil , and it blocked out the music so I could hear WICKED well on the phone. Just experiment...I mean it sounds like it's been a few years since you wore BTEs...BTEs also have something called Direct Audio Input where you can feed music right into your aids! I would definitly urge you to experiment!
That's funny that you have such a weird loss.....

on my hoh side I wear a Phonak MAXX BTE - I don't really have anything else to compare it to.. I got it almost 2 years ago & it's my first HA ( long story) .. it was the best I could afford, espeically not knowing how well I'd do with it , or if I'd even find it helpful.

I don't use anything on my deaf side ( can't hear anything at 110db on that side anyway)

My hearing aids

I always wear super power hearing aids "Unitron US 80 PPL" in both ears, before I wore 2 "Phonak Superfront PP C P", long before I wore 2 "Phonak Picoforte PP C P2"

Hear Again said:
cdmeggers: You just brought me down memory lane when you mentioned Phonic Ear. :) That's a brand I haven't heard about in years! I believe my first BTE hearing aid was made by Phonic Ear. Since then, I've always worn Oticon BTEs. I've always wanted to try Phonak because I've read such good things about them. Several of my friends have Phonak hearing aids and love them! :)

heh. I don't think we even have the Phonic Ear hearing aids... I just know I still have my old Phonaks. I'm just not sure where my first pair of Phonak hearing aids are, and only know where ONE of the purple Phonak is... Wow, amazing how easily I lose things.

I dont remember what I used to have in the past, I think I had Phonak, not sure.. I dont wear HAs anymore because it doesn't work for me..

My 5 year old son is using Oticon Adapto, my 10 month old son will be getting Oticon Gaia

My hearing aids

I wear Unitron US 80 PPL in both ears, without profoundly
Deaf :deaf: , with them on severe HOH :D .

You already know.

Last edited:
About hearing aids

deafdyke, I use Otocon Multifocus and have had them for several years.
They've been fine but I think I might need something more powerful.

Siemens Digital Hearing Aids, I can hear 70% with them but my husband hijacked em for work /sigh

I still use a trumpet....
silhorn.jpg

i have a unitron hearing aid for left ear. it is digital. i have a sensenural hearing loss. it is blue and can see through it, that is the hearing aid. ear mold is swirled blu,green,orange. $700.oo for one hearing aid.
i am the only one in my family that has deafness.

Back