What are you thinking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
give us an outline so we can get some idea to give you some suggestions

Well he gave everyone a seperate topic and then several sub-topics. I've finished discussing most of the sub-topics, but I can't really understand what exactly I'm supposed to say for sustainability. There's many different types of sustainability when it comes to the uranium industry. Whenever the word "sustainability" is brought up, I think of "how much is left". Should I basically be looking for a number? I'm lost. :lol:

Here's a briefing: Uranium is mined in Northern Saskatchewan by the largest uranium producer in the world: Cameco Corporation. I've given a history, explaining that Cameco was once called Eldorado, but then merged with a competitor (plus much more info). I've talked about the GDP contribution, the environmental impacts and about pollution. I am soon going to have to discuss social impacts, competitors in the industry, impacts on daily lives of Canadians and alternatives.

I'm a supporter of nuclear powerplants but at same time - I'm not crazy about it :lol: because let's face the cold hard truth - give me the best alternative out there that can provide as much power as nuclear powerplant can with less carbon footprint.

sustainability... it can sustain ya'all for quite a long long time!

environmental impacts... well yes if there's a melt-down, the environmental impact is disastrous but then... have we ever had a melt-down here before? nope! however - while it does have its negative environmental impact. It warms the cold water needed to keep its reactors from getting too hot and they have to use the water from local lake/stream. They recirculate it by dumping warm water out and cold water in. not good! but then... pick your choice - if you choose coal-powered or gas-powered power plants... the air pollution is much worse. That's how you get acid rain.

No solution is great but just gotta pick the lesser of several evil.

Um...

B.C., Ontario and Quebec gets most of its energy from hydro-dams, including heat since we like using electrical heaters. The prairie provinces are oil-, natural gas-, and coal-dependent since they have no hydrodams.

Less hydrodams = less interferences with the salmon migration routes. :P

I'm a supporter of nuclear powerplants but at same time - I'm not crazy about it :lol: because let's face the cold hard truth - give me the best alternative out there that can provide as much power as nuclear powerplant can with less carbon footprint.

sustainability... it can sustain ya'all for quite a long long time!

environmental impacts... well yes if there's a melt-down, the environmental impact is disastrous but then... have we ever had a melt-down here before? nope! however - while it does have its negative environmental impact. It warms the cold water needed to keep its reactors from getting too hot and they have to use the water from local lake/stream. They recirculate it by dumping warm water out and cold water in. not good! but then... pick your choice - if you choose coal-powered or gas-powered power plants... the air pollution is much worse. That's how you get acid rain.

No solution is great but just gotta pick the lesser of several evil.

So true... everyone's looking for a perfect energy source. There isn't one... but nuclear power is one of the better ones we have.

As for sustainability, that's just the thing. It is too much of a sustainable resource. It's so sustainable that I can't find out how long this stuff actually lasts for. :mad: Also, I can't seem to find any information that can help me discuss the sustainability of uranium.

Thank you for the reply! :)

Um...

B.C., Ontario and Quebec gets most of its energy from hydro-dams, including heat since we like using electrical heaters. The prairie provinces are oil-, natural gas-, and coal-dependent since they have no hydrodams.

My reason is for America. You're lucky that you don't have the population and the power demand of America. but I'll ask this -

how many hydro-dams are there to feed BC, Ontario, and Quebec? and what are the environmental impact of those oil/natural gas/coal power plants on the prairie provinces?

Um...

Indeed. But I need to find out how long the supply of uranium deposits will last in Northern Saskatchewan (Athabasca, Uranium City, etc.)

So true... everyone's looking for a perfect energy source. There isn't one... but nuclear power is one of the better ones we have.

As for sustainability, that's just the thing. It is too much of a sustainable resource. It's so sustainable that I can't find out how long this stuff actually lasts for. :mad: Also, I can't seem to find any information that can help me discuss the sustainability of uranium.

Thank you for the reply! :)

typically 40-60+ years. and It takes about 20-30 years to build a nuclear power plant.

My reason is for America. You're lucky that you don't have the population and the power demand of America. but I'll ask this -

how many hydro-dams are there to feed BC, Ontario, and Quebec? and what are the environmental impact of those oil/natural gas/coal power plants on the prairie provinces?

Dunno. Don't care. I am not in grade 12 anymore.

I just know Quebec and Ontario combined makes up 60% of the population in Canada. :| Ironically we're the worst polluter per capita in the world except for Norway-- which have to depend on oil/gas considering how far north it is.

It was weird when I moved to B.C. because water was included in my rent. So when I got the bill for "hydro," I was like "what the heck?" Someone had to explain to me it was electrical. In Alberta, we just call "water" "hydro," "gas" for heat, and "electrical." Sometimes "electrical" and "gas" is used interchangeably in Alberta. Go figures.

how many hydro-dams are there to feed BC, Ontario, and Quebec?

The thing about this question is that most of the hydro-dams in Quebec are there to send power into the Eastern United States. Quebec is where a majority of the Eastern US's power comes from. I'm not sure how many of these hydro-dams feed Ontario & Quebec, but I know that Ontario has quite a diverse number of energy sources, not just using hydro-dams for power.

Dunno. Don't care. I am not in grade 12 anymore.

I just know Quebec and Ontario combined makes up 60% of the population in Canada. :| Ironically we're the worst polluter per capita in the world except for Norway-- which have to depend on oil/gas considering how far north it is.

It was weird when I moved to B.C. because water was included in my rent. So when I got the bill for "hydro," I was like "what the heck?" Someone had to explain to me it was electrical. In Alberta, we just call "water" "hydro," "gas" for heat, and "electrical." Sometimes "electrical" and "gas" is used interchangeably in Alberta. Go figures.

most interesting. IMO - depending on geographical location, I'd take one nuclear power plant than dozens of hydro-dams or oil/natural gas/coal power plants to feed to millions of people especially cities

If I were to pick any power source for myself, I'd take geothermal power. But if I want that - I'll have to live on West Coast. For East coast, I'll take a hydrodam but for that - I'll have to live in mountain.

504x_3747545471_1b022daa2c_b.jpg

This can be partially blamed on the oil sands. I'm not against the oil sands though. The world complains about how dirty they are... well you know what... you told us you wanted oil... that's how you're going to get your oil.

Another reason is because we're a net exporter. We export almost three times as much as we import. So we pollute more because we're not just doing these things for our own population's demand, but the world population's demand.

Off to go play a game with son. He found his Battleship game and wants to challenge me. I always beat my brothers so we shall see if I can still be victorious.

Well - I won 1 game and son won a game. We have a rematch tomorrow.

just thinking about that I can't believe that I'm still alive in this decade....

Yes...I'm surprised that I lasted this long ha

It can't be that bad. My great aunt is still going strong at 103. My MIL has 3 uncles that are still going strong at 101,105,107.

It can't be that bad. My great aunt is still going strong at 103. My MIL has 3 uncles that are still going strong at 101,105,107.

Yea....I know. All the murders, car accidents, all the air we breath, etc...it just is depressing to hear/see. My great aunt passed away at 100 years old in April 2009.

How they do that? Are they somewhat organic-designed robots that live so long?

How they do that? Are they somewhat organic-designed robots that live so long?

I'm not sure how they managed. They are the youngest of 17 children. I originally thought is was 13, but was corrected. I do know that none of them ever drank anything alcoholic. To hear them tell it, it's because they ate fresh Florida oranges everyday. The family owns over 5000 acres of citrus groves in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back