What are the chances of having a deaf/hoh child?

I found out from my audiologist the other day that my hearing loss actually is genetic, but the chances of me having an HOH child in the future are slim. Just thought I would announce that.

However, she said that I didn't necessarily get it because of a family member having it, but just because of the genetic coding in my parents. She said that the only way that an HOH child could be reproduced is if the mate has the same genetic coding.

My uncle and great aunt were deaf and so am I. There seems to be someone in every generation of our family, except my children and nephews who are all hearing. Maybe that is because there are fewer children in their generation to inherit the gene, but I don't exactly know how these things work.

My daughter, who is hearing, recently married and her husband is hearing but his uncle, aunt and grandfather are deaf, it will be interesting to see if they have a deaf child. My daughter does not want to have a test to see if she has inherited the gene. The way I look at it is, their child would be fortunate to be born into a family which has lots of experience of deafness, and people who can help and support them, and my daughter shares this opinion.

Back