What are the chances of having a deaf/hoh child?

Exactly.

My progressive hearing loss was caused by premature birth, ototoxic drugs given to me while in the neonatal ICU, frequent ear infections as an infant, child and teenager, antibiotics given to me for ear infections and years of untreated allergies.

If I have a child, he or she will most likely end up having some degree of blindness as opposed to deafness since my hearing loss was not genetic in nature.

Your child won't be blind. Retinopathy of prematurity is not genetic.

ha ha thanks Naisho.

I do wonder about my boy, not my girl. it is just my instinct. cool

I wanted to add that my cataracts were a pre-existing condition which contributed to my total blindness. I've had 3 eye surgeries all of which were unsuccessful.

Thank you Naisho for the detailed explanation. I have to be honest, I am not science-oriented at all. I honestly do not understand any of it, but where I am getting at is that there is not too big of a chance for me when I'm older to have a child with a hearing problem, but there is still some. I can see that there is the assumption that I don't ever want a kid with a hearing problem like me, which is not the case. I am just wondering if I was to ever marry a hearing woman (which would most likely be the case since I do not know very many other people who are hard of hearing) if she would be accepting of the fact of it being a possibility. I am just looking toward the future as I am curious. :)

i was born hard of hearing do to a high fever and illness and i spent most of my life in the hospital with oxygen machine and tube hook to my body,but both my father and mother are hearing and i have an older brother and sister but i am the youngest of the family and the only one who is hard of hearing in my family,now i have a question if i married a hoh person like me will my children be born hearing?

Holy cow! You got a double dose of anything that can go wrong!

Yep. That's why I said my child will probably have some degree of blindness. It could very well be low vision, but it will be a visual impairment nevertheless.

As you're looking at the genetics and trying to calculate genetic probability of two people with recessive deafness having a deaf child, remember this. Both parents must be recessive FOR THE SAME GENE in order for the child to have a possibility of hereditary deafness. If parents have different forms of genetic deafness, the probability becomes the same as the general hearing population. Deafness occurs in 1 in 1000 live births, and 70-80% of those cases are hereditary (genetic).

I have severe juvenile cataracts and congenital nystagmus in addition to ROP.

Not necessarily, HearAgain. Juvenile/congenital cataracts may be a result of prematurity and not an inherited condition.

Right on, Doc! Not sure of your alias preference, heheh.

I still am not too sure of the exact amount of DNA/gene sequences responsible for causing deafness. Last I recall being told, there are at least 30+ to 40 DNA sequences that may trigger or be related to the hearing function. This is what I learned around 4-5 years ago though, based on data that was around at that time.

And it is totally true, the probabilities always remain there despite if you come from a deaf or hearing background unless somehow if an individual was able to get their full DNA sequence mapped out.

No one can truly be born with a 100.0% probability as hearing.

Oh, whoops! My apologies.
I mean, I wasn't sure if you preferred being dubbed as Doc, Deaf Doc, DD, Doktor Octopus or anything else I might've missed.. so I chose one that seemed most logical to acknowledge you by. ;)

Oh, whoops! My apologies.
I mean, I wasn't sure if you preferred being dubbed as Doc, Deaf Doc, DD, Doktor Octopus or anything else I might've missed.. so I chose one that seemed most logical to acknowledge you by. ;)

Oh, sorry I was a bit dense. Yes, my preference is definitely Doc :D. I've been called that since the days when I played quad rugby and was one of the only women playing in the country. They started calling me "the girl" but when they saw I was pretty good, they dubbed me "Doc" instead. I consider it a high compliment.

Sorry for the digression, OP.

Oh, sorry I was a bit dense. Yes, my preference is definitely Doc :D. I've been called that since the days when I played quad rugby and was one of the only women playing in the country. They started calling me "the girl" but when they saw I was pretty good, they dubbed me "Doc" instead. I consider it a high compliment.

Sorry for the digression, OP.

I hope Loghead will not mind.
If not, the pleasure is mine to acknowledge your nickname and the history with it! I'da imagine, a woman who plays Rugby is a rare gem for a guy to come across. You must've kicked some serious butt.

Back on topic, I am surprised, Loghead you are quite the guy. To be in your mid-teens and to come across this thought-provoking question of deafness genetics, tells me of a gifted kid in the making.

I hope Loghead will not mind.
If not, the pleasure is mine to acknowledge your nickname and the history with it! I'da imagine, a woman who plays Rugby is a rare gem for a guy to come across. You must've kicked some serious butt.

Back on topic, I am surprised, Loghead you are quite the guy. To be in your mid-teens and to come across this thought-provoking question of deafness genetics, tells me of a gifted kid in the making.

I for sure do not mind at all as it is completely natural for conversations to go off-topic every now and then. :)

Thank you very much Naisho... I really appreciate your comment. It made my day (or night) much better than it was. :) It's been something that I've been thinking for the longest time; even at a really young age. I've always wondered what the chances were for my future children (if I have any) to become partially deaf (notice I've been using many different terms for hard of hearing to avoid the hearing i-word :lol:). I wouldn't mind finding out later on in life how exactly I contracted it.

Not necessarily, HearAgain. Juvenile/congenital cataracts may be a result of prematurity and not an inherited condition.

In my case, all of my opthalmologists told me it is something I will pass onto my children since my grandparents and natural mother had cataracts as well although they weren't as severe as mine. They were all extremely nearsighted/myopic as well. I'm very familiar with all of my eye issues and family history, so I know what is genetic and what isn't. My boyfriend and I have also investigated this carefully since we plan to have children in the near future.

I for sure do not mind at all as it is completely natural for conversations to go off-topic every now and then. :)

Thank you very much Naisho... I really appreciate your comment. It made my day (or night) much better than it was. :) It's been something that I've been thinking for the longest time; even at a really young age. I've always wondered what the chances were for my future children (if I have any) to become partially deaf (notice I've been using many different terms for hard of hearing to avoid the hearing i-word :lol:). I wouldn't mind finding out later on in life how exactly I contracted it.

Forgive me because I have forgotten or didn't see it, but how did your hearing loss come about? Just curious! :)

I was born with my hearing loss and my parents found out about it when I was three and I was way below the standard of the number of words a child would be speaking and the fact that I was mispronouncing most of my words. I'm not sure what caused the hearing impairment, as I was just born with it. As far as I know my mother did not have an illness during her pregnancy and no one in my family has a hearing loss. Thank you for your curiosity AlleyCat; how did your hearing loss come about?

As you're looking at the genetics and trying to calculate genetic probability of two people with recessive deafness having a deaf child, remember this. Both parents must be recessive FOR THE SAME GENE in order for the child to have a possibility of hereditary deafness. If parents have different forms of genetic deafness, the probability becomes the same as the general hearing population. Deafness occurs in 1 in 1000 live births, and 70-80% of those cases are hereditary (genetic).

Exactly. Only genetic testing of both parents can give an accurate probability of deafness in each offspring.

Back