What are my chances?

Shanna24

Reaction score
Hi
I am hearing impaired (80% loss both ears), I have a cousin who is 5yrs old complete deaf but has gotten a cochlear implant and he is doing somewhat well. We dont know if its genetic or if its just coincidental, my family want to get a test done to find out if it is genetic but we are waiting on my aunt (my cousin mother) but she always forgetting.
Anyways hubby and I are planning on having a baby, what are my chances of having a deaf child?
I am happy what ever the out come would be but we are just curious.
Any hearing imparied parents in with a deaf child?

Thanks
Shanna

In my option, I dont believe in Genetic :aw:

first preggy with my older daughter I was told will have a deaf child, I think he looked at my family, myself and younger sister are deaf, my older daughter is hard of hearing 40s level u know, can hear pretty well, helps me alot telling me her younger sister was crying, water running, someone at door, phone ringing, plane on sky, birds on tree or on roof and e.t.c. she is alike hearing

second daughter, I was told a hearing, guess what,, she is profoundly deaf :)
never knows may happened any not only from family genetics :aw: at her birth she has passed hearing test, lately at her 3 mo I noticed she didnt respond any sounds/noises where comes from she kept sleeping quiet so checked at ENT, ABR u know, found out she has hearing loss

and my deaf younger sister has a hearing son, she was told would be a deaf child, wrong :aw:

I'm sorry to be saying this, but your chance may be a bit slim, I'm a deaf mother of 3 children, all my children are hearing, so no matter if the entire family is deaf, the chances they could have all hearing children....Like a friend of mine, his entire family is deaf but his brother's children are hearing and so for his even they both married a deaf woman.....

So it's really depend on how it turn out, some hearing parents have a deaf child even through they're not deaf themselves like my parents is one of them when my entire family is all hearing but my sister and I are the only deaf in the family .....

It is hard to know what your chances could be. It is not easy to predict such situations.

I have an older deaf brother. My mother had 4 children ...two of us are deaf and two others are hearing. So that meant my mom had 50 percent chance of having deaf children even though there are no known relatives who are deaf in the family for generations.

My brother has a deaf niece. I have two kids who are not deaf. The doctor thought I would have deaf children because of my brother having his deaf daughter a year before my first child was born. Turned out both of my kids are hearing.

Years ago, my younger sister almost gave away her oldest son for adoption. The family who was interested in adopting her unborn baby freaked out when they found out that my sister had 2 deaf siblings so my sister got mad and decided to keep her baby. She didnt like how that the family could get so paranoid about the possibility of having a deaf adopted kid. Turned out her son is hearing.

Go figures.

My doctor told me the same thing, that I would have deaf children, didn't happened. I end up with two hearing children. The doctor only stated that because I'm a twin and my twin sister is also deaf too.

I don't think it has anything to do with what's in the family history if there are any deaf or not. With my family there are only two are deaf in the entire family.

I guess you have to take a chance to find out when a child is born. ;)

Ooooh, this makes me think Mendel.

By the way, we can't really firmly predict your odds for a deaf child without knowing if you and your mate have hereditary deafness.

In my option, I dont believe in Genetic

Well to understand genetic one must study it.
(and I mean this in general I am not critizing the author of a quote),

Like somebody mentioned before some hearing losses might be hereditary some not. Apart from that, there is this thing with genes- some are dominant and some not. The dominant one are called dominant genes and non- dominant are called recessive genes.

The genes go more or like this:
Aa from mother and Bb from father
big letter- dominant and small letter recesive

the combination that parents passes onto children may look like this
AB and ab
Ab and aB
Aa and Bb

and this is very very simplified example.

It all changes the outcome in offspring.
It is possible that if one of the parents is white and the other black, in certain circumstances after a few generations, a suprised white couple may have a black child.

If your parents carried the recessive genes chances are that their child will hear. But then the chances are the child's child will not.
that's why this is not so clear and cut case with genes.
I can hardly understand it myself.

Fuzzy

Back