What about the negatives aspects on CI? Should it be notify?

Sorry, Jillio. I am not about to sort through your 6500+ posts churned out at a rate of 12+ per day to find out if you have any basis for your claims. If you have the time to answer my question, I would appreciate it. If not, I understand. You are obviously a busy person.

Yes, I am a busy person. And to take the time to cite sources that have been used for a period of 21 years is quite an undertaking. But, quite obviously, from your reply, you are one of those who choose to ignore the complete picture. Others, however, prefer a more complete and realistic picture.

I agree that there is more information on the web today than there was 10 years ago. I also know that you have to take what you find on the net with a grain of salt and in some cases the information is spun to meet an agenda. My confidence level of such information is not as high as it would be from a regulated objective source that uses an agreed upon standard for measurement and is all inclusive and subjected to periodic peer review. That would be information I would feel more confident about.

Every one of the web references in my post list multiple possible negative consequences of CI surgery. The first two are from the FDA, which I assume would qualify as a "regulated objective source."

I get the impression that you do not trust information provided by a surgeon or hospital, by the FDA or by websites. I would be sincerely interested to know what sources you would rely on for facts with which to make a decision about a cochlear implant.

Every one of the web references in my post list multiple possible negative consequences of CI surgery. The first two are from the FDA, which I assume would qualify as a "regulated objective source."

I get the impression that you do not trust information provided by a surgeon or hospital, by the FDA or by websites. I would be sincerely interested to know what sources you would rely on for facts with which to make a decision about a cochlear implant.

Once again, you are focusing only on surgical risks. This is hardly a complete picture.

The reports of soft failures are generally not disclosed.

That's true jillio. (FDA) only issued a warning that are general common involves like meningitis for example, but what about those with unknown effects that are not common? Not all negatives aspects has been reported or shown. It's the truth.

Of course everyone knows that with all operations, there are a few risks of surgery.

I don't trust surgeon much, I don't think all negatives that been reported had been listed, even if it's small, it should be reported. Just because it happened to one person, it doesn't mean it won't happen again to another person.

Yes, I am a busy person. And to take the time to cite sources that have been used for a period of 21 years is quite an undertaking.

I am sure it would be quite an undertaking; however, in this thread people are being told that they are not being adequately informed of the risks involved in CI surgery, that they don't know enough to make an informed decision and the implication is that people are making the wrong decision on this crucial issue in their lives. Personally, I think this is a really big deal. It is not on the same level as expressing an opinion on what microbrew is best or which TV show to watch. I don't think it is responsible for a professional, like yourself, to make unsupported assertions on this topic. If you have no intention of proving your point, just say so and we can move on.

I am sure it would be quite an undertaking; however, in this thread people are being told that they are not being adequately informed of the risks involved in CI surgery, that they don't know enough to make an informed decision and the implication is that people are making the wrong decision on this crucial issue in their lives. Personally, I think this is a really big deal. It is not on the same level as expressing an opinion on what microbrew is best or which TV show to watch. I don't think it is responsible for a professional, like yourself, to make unsupported assertions on this topic. If you have no intention of proving your point, just say so and we can move on.

People are not being told that they are being inadequately informed.....people are claiming that due to their personal experience, they feel that they have been inadequately informed. Judging from their experience, I would agree that all of the issues are not being addressed appropriately prior to implantation. Your comparison to beer and television is not only fallicious, but insulting to those who do undertake to garner all of the information in a comprehensive way on a decision that indeed, impacts every area of their lives. My assertions are not unsupported at all. However, your view is extremely limited and founded only in one crucial issue; that of the medicalized perspective.

When someone is a candidate

does everyone is aware of side-effects before they go ahead with cochlear implants? let's be honest would be greatly appreciated.

skin infection from the surgery? onset of tinnitus? damage to the vestibular system? damage to facial nerves that can cause muscle weakness and paralysis? risk of device failure? incision that does not heal properly? higher risk for meningitis? and so on...

As I remember recalling someone created a thread about a child who had a cochlear implant and was paralysis from the cause of repeating surgeries, some cochlear implanter's on this board of alldeaf and some hearing parents did not believe her story. I'm disappointing because it seems like some does not want to hear the negatives this is exactly one reason why I created this thread. There is no ONE side positive outcome for all those who received or planning on getting a cochlear implant. It's very important to look at both sides of the pro and cons of cochlear implants the positives and negatives aspects.

Am I making myself clear here? Ty. :)

Yes, and agreed...

Hopefully most adults are aware that nothing is perfect. What in life is? The information should be accurate for both the pro's and con's. Then folks can make a sound decision and feel confident about it. The problem is where do you go for accurate information? Who do you trust? How do you know you are getting the full picture? Personally I think the information should be regulated and each and every case should be documented using agreed upon standards.

:gpost: as always!!

(FDA) only issued a warning that are general common involves like meningitis for example, but what about those with unknown effects that are not common? Not all negatives aspects has been reported or shown. It's the truth.

QUOTE]

Cheri, that's simply not true. The very first reference I listed is to the FDA's discussion of CI risks. It goes far beyond meningitis and common risks. It says:

What are the Risks of Cochlear Implants?
General Anesthesia Risks
General anesthesia is drug-induced sleep. The drugs, such as anesthetic gases and injected drugs, may affect people differently. For most people, the risk of general anesthesia is very low. However, for some people with certain medical conditions, it is more risky. More information on the risk of general anesthesia can be found at the following weblink: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/generalanesthesia/an079102.pdf

Risks from the Surgical Implant Procedure
Injury to the facial nerve --this nerve goes through the middle ear to give movement to the muscles of the face. It lies close to where the surgeon needs to place the implant, and thus it can be injured during the surgery. An injury can cause a temporary or permanent weakening or full paralysis on the same side of the face as the implant.
Meningitis --this is an infection of the lining of the surface of the brain. People who have abnormally formed inner ear structures appear to be at greater risk of this rare, but serious complication. For more information on the risk of meningitis in cochlear recipients, please refer to FDA's Public Health Notification: US FDA/CDRH: FDA Public Health Notification: Importance of Vaccination in Cochlear Implant Recipients and its Advice to Patients: Medical Device Safety: Advice for Patients with Cochlear Implants: New Information on Meningitis Risk
Cerebrospinal fluid leakage --the brain is surrounded by fluid that may leak from a hole created in the inner ear or elsewhere from a hole in the covering of the brain as a result of the surgical procedure.
Perilymph fluid leak --the inner ear or cochlea contains fluid. This fluid can leak through the hole that was created to place the implant.
Infection of the skin wound.
Blood or fluid collection at the site of surgery.
Attacks of dizziness or vertigo.
Tinnitus, which is a ringing or buzzing sound in the ear.
Taste disturbances --the nerve that gives taste sensation to the tongue also goes through the middle ear and might be injured during the surgery.
Numbness around the ear.
Reparative granuloma --this is the result of localized inflammation that can occur if the body rejects the implant.
There may be other unforeseen complications that could occur with long term implantation that we cannot now predict.

Other Risks Associated with the Use of Cochlear Implants
People with a cochlear implant:
May hear sounds differently. Sound impressions from an implant differ from normal hearing, according to people who could hear before they became deaf. At first, users describe the sound as "mechanical", "technical", or "synthetic". This perception changes over time, and most users do not notice this artificial sound quality after a few weeks of cochlear implant use.
May lose residual hearing. The implant may destroy any remaining hearing in the implanted ear.
May have unknown and uncertain effects. The cochlear implant stimulates the nerves directly with electrical currents. Although this stimulation appears to be safe, the long term effect of these electrical currents on the nerves is unknown.
May not hear as well as others who have had successful outcomes with their implants.
May not be able to understand language well. There is no test a person can take before surgery that will predict how well he or she will understand language after surgery.
May have to have it removed temporarily or permanently if an infection develops after the implant surgery. However, this is a rare complication.
May have their implant fail. In this situation, a person with an implant would need to have additional surgery to resolve this problem and would be exposed to the risks of surgery again.
May not be able to upgrade their implant when new external components become available. Implanted parts are usually compatible with improved external parts. That way, as advances in technology develop, one can upgrade his or her implant by changing only its external parts. In some cases, though, this won't work and the implant will need changing.
May not be able to have some medical examinations and treatments. These treatments include:
MRI imaging. MRI is becoming a more routine diagnostic method for early detection of medical problems. Even being close to an MRI imaging unit will be dangerous because it may dislodge the implant or demagnetize its internal magnet. FDA has approved some implants, however, for some types of MRI studies done under controlled conditions.
neurostimulation.
electrical surgery.
electroconvulsive therapy.
ionic radiation therapy.
Will depend on batteries for hearing. For some devices new or recharged batteries are needed every day.
May damage their implant. Contact sports, automobile accidents, slips and falls, or other impacts near the ear can damage the implant. This may mean needing a new implant and more surgery. It is unknown whether a new implant would work as well as the old one.
May find them expensive. Replacing damaged or lost parts may be expensive.
Will have to use it for the rest of life. During a person's lifetime, the manufacturer of the cochlear implant could go out of business. Whether a person will be able to get replacement parts or other customer service in the future is uncertain.
May have lifestyle changes because their implant will interact with the electronic environment. An implant may
set off theft detection systems
set off metal detectors or other security systems
be affected by cellular phone users or other radio transmitters
have to be turned off during take offs and landings in aircraft
interact in unpredictable ways with other computer systems
Will have to be careful of static electricity. Static electricity may temporarily or permanently damage a cochlear implant. It may be good practice to remove the processor and headset before contact with static generating materials such as children's plastic play equipment, TV screens, computer monitors, or synthetic fabric. For more details regarding how to deal with static electricity, contact the manufacturer or implant center.
Have less ability to hear both soft sounds and loud sounds without changing the sensitivity of the implant. The sensitivity of normal hearing is adjusted continuously by the brain, but the design of cochlear implants requires that a person manually change sensitivity setting of the device as the sound environment changes.
May develop irritation where the external part rubs on the skin and have to remove it for a while.
Can't let the external parts get wet. Damage from water may be expensive to repair and the person may be without hearing until the implant is repaired. Thus, the person will need to remove the external parts of the device when bathing, showering, swimming, or participating in water sports.
May hear strange sounds caused by its interaction with magnetic fields, like those near airport passenger screening machines.

Updated October 15, 2007

People are not being told that they are being inadequately informed.....people are claiming that due to their personal experience, they feel that they have been inadequately informed. Judging from their experience, I would agree that all of the issues are not being addressed appropriately prior to implantation. Your comparison to beer and television is not only fallicious, but insulting to those who do undertake to garner all of the information in a comprehensive way on a decision that indeed, impacts every area of their lives. My assertions are not unsupported at all. However, your view is extremely limited and founded only in one crucial issue; that of the medicalized perspective.

One more chance, Jillio. What is the big picture? What are these facts the medical community is hiding from CI candidates? I am sorry you feel insulted by my questions. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts and so far you haven't posted fact one.

(FDA) only issued a warning that are general common involves like meningitis for example, but what about those with unknown effects that are not common? Not all negatives aspects has been reported or shown. It's the truth.

QUOTE]

Cheri, that's simply not true. The very first reference I listed is to the FDA's discussion of CI risks. It goes far beyond meningitis and common risks. It says:

What are the Risks of Cochlear Implants?
General Anesthesia Risks
General anesthesia is drug-induced sleep. The drugs, such as anesthetic gases and injected drugs, may affect people differently. For most people, the risk of general anesthesia is very low. However, for some people with certain medical conditions, it is more risky. More information on the risk of general anesthesia can be found at the following weblink: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/generalanesthesia/an079102.pdf

Risks from the Surgical Implant Procedure
Injury to the facial nerve --this nerve goes through the middle ear to give movement to the muscles of the face. It lies close to where the surgeon needs to place the implant, and thus it can be injured during the surgery. An injury can cause a temporary or permanent weakening or full paralysis on the same side of the face as the implant.
Meningitis --this is an infection of the lining of the surface of the brain. People who have abnormally formed inner ear structures appear to be at greater risk of this rare, but serious complication. For more information on the risk of meningitis in cochlear recipients, please refer to FDA's Public Health Notification: US FDA/CDRH: FDA Public Health Notification: Importance of Vaccination in Cochlear Implant Recipients and its Advice to Patients: Medical Device Safety: Advice for Patients with Cochlear Implants: New Information on Meningitis Risk
Cerebrospinal fluid leakage --the brain is surrounded by fluid that may leak from a hole created in the inner ear or elsewhere from a hole in the covering of the brain as a result of the surgical procedure.
Perilymph fluid leak --the inner ear or cochlea contains fluid. This fluid can leak through the hole that was created to place the implant.
Infection of the skin wound.
Blood or fluid collection at the site of surgery.
Attacks of dizziness or vertigo.
Tinnitus, which is a ringing or buzzing sound in the ear.
Taste disturbances --the nerve that gives taste sensation to the tongue also goes through the middle ear and might be injured during the surgery.
Numbness around the ear.
Reparative granuloma --this is the result of localized inflammation that can occur if the body rejects the implant.
There may be other unforeseen complications that could occur with long term implantation that we cannot now predict.

Other Risks Associated with the Use of Cochlear Implants
People with a cochlear implant:
May hear sounds differently. Sound impressions from an implant differ from normal hearing, according to people who could hear before they became deaf. At first, users describe the sound as "mechanical", "technical", or "synthetic". This perception changes over time, and most users do not notice this artificial sound quality after a few weeks of cochlear implant use.
May lose residual hearing. The implant may destroy any remaining hearing in the implanted ear.
May have unknown and uncertain effects. The cochlear implant stimulates the nerves directly with electrical currents. Although this stimulation appears to be safe, the long term effect of these electrical currents on the nerves is unknown.
May not hear as well as others who have had successful outcomes with their implants.
May not be able to understand language well. There is no test a person can take before surgery that will predict how well he or she will understand language after surgery.
May have to have it removed temporarily or permanently if an infection develops after the implant surgery. However, this is a rare complication.
May have their implant fail. In this situation, a person with an implant would need to have additional surgery to resolve this problem and would be exposed to the risks of surgery again.
May not be able to upgrade their implant when new external components become available. Implanted parts are usually compatible with improved external parts. That way, as advances in technology develop, one can upgrade his or her implant by changing only its external parts. In some cases, though, this won't work and the implant will need changing.
May not be able to have some medical examinations and treatments. These treatments include:
MRI imaging. MRI is becoming a more routine diagnostic method for early detection of medical problems. Even being close to an MRI imaging unit will be dangerous because it may dislodge the implant or demagnetize its internal magnet. FDA has approved some implants, however, for some types of MRI studies done under controlled conditions.
neurostimulation.
electrical surgery.
electroconvulsive therapy.
ionic radiation therapy.
Will depend on batteries for hearing. For some devices new or recharged batteries are needed every day.
May damage their implant. Contact sports, automobile accidents, slips and falls, or other impacts near the ear can damage the implant. This may mean needing a new implant and more surgery. It is unknown whether a new implant would work as well as the old one.
May find them expensive. Replacing damaged or lost parts may be expensive.
Will have to use it for the rest of life. During a person's lifetime, the manufacturer of the cochlear implant could go out of business. Whether a person will be able to get replacement parts or other customer service in the future is uncertain.
May have lifestyle changes because their implant will interact with the electronic environment. An implant may
set off theft detection systems
set off metal detectors or other security systems
be affected by cellular phone users or other radio transmitters
have to be turned off during take offs and landings in aircraft
interact in unpredictable ways with other computer systems
Will have to be careful of static electricity. Static electricity may temporarily or permanently damage a cochlear implant. It may be good practice to remove the processor and headset before contact with static generating materials such as children's plastic play equipment, TV screens, computer monitors, or synthetic fabric. For more details regarding how to deal with static electricity, contact the manufacturer or implant center.
Have less ability to hear both soft sounds and loud sounds without changing the sensitivity of the implant. The sensitivity of normal hearing is adjusted continuously by the brain, but the design of cochlear implants requires that a person manually change sensitivity setting of the device as the sound environment changes.
May develop irritation where the external part rubs on the skin and have to remove it for a while.
Can't let the external parts get wet. Damage from water may be expensive to repair and the person may be without hearing until the implant is repaired. Thus, the person will need to remove the external parts of the device when bathing, showering, swimming, or participating in water sports.
May hear strange sounds caused by its interaction with magnetic fields, like those near airport passenger screening machines.

Updated October 15, 2007

And you honestly believe that physicians, audis, and other CI professionals are informing all patients of all of these risks prior to recommendation and surgery.

And Silencio have you read the year of that FDA's discussion of CI risks? Did they had that listed during the time other parents of deaf children or deaf adults who had theirs implanted before the year of 2007? Answer my question please. :)

And Silencio have you read the year of that FDA's discussion of CI risks? Did they had that listed during the time other parents of deaf children or deaf adults who had theirs implanted before the year of 2007? Answer my question please. :)

Well, Cheri, I don't know if I can answer that. I became interested in a CI for myself about 5 years ago. That information or substantially similar information was available five years ago. All of it went into my decision to have the surgery. CI is, in the larger scheme of things, a relatively new procedure. I would expect that new riska (and I know that new benefits) are discovered regularly and that the FDA and others regularly update the disclosure information.

And you honestly believe that physicians, audis, and other CI professionals are informing all patients of all of these risks prior to recommendation and surgery.

Absolutely I do. I was informed of all of these risks. I believe I signed a document acknowleding these risks. I can't imagine why I would be treated differently from anyone else. So tell me this, Jillio, do you consider the FDA disclosure I posted above to be adequate? If not, what additional facts would you want to see disclosed?

Well, Cheri, I don't know if I can answer that. I became interested in a CI for myself about 5 years ago. That information or substantially similar information was available five years ago. All of it went into my decision to have the surgery. CI is, in the larger scheme of things, a relatively new procedure. I would expect that new riska (and I know that new benefits) are discovered regularly and that the FDA and others regularly update the disclosure information.

Thank you for your honestly. :)

Jillio and Cheri, it looks like you both beat me at this again, btw good posts!

To be honest, I think the parents are informed of the risks but the desire for their children to be able to hear and speak is so great that they are willing to take those risks. With those studies emerging showing that the earlier the child is implanted the better success the child will have with the CIs, it does put sort of a indirect pressure on the parents to implant asap.

To be honest, I think the parents are informed of the risks but the desire for their children to be able to hear and speak is so great that they are willing to take those risks. With those studies emerging showing that the earlier the child is implanted the better success the child will have with the CIs, it does put sort of a indirect pressure on the parents to implant asap.

I'm afraid I concur with you. They don't realize that language skills is so important till it's too late and even when it's apparent that the child has a language delay, they think the CI will take care of the delay.

Absolutely I do. I was informed of all of these risks. I believe I signed a document acknowleding these risks. I can't imagine why I would be treated differently from anyone else. So tell me this, Jillio, do you consider the FDA disclosure I posted above to be adequate? If not, what additional facts would you want to see disclosed?

Perhaps you don't consider that your experience was any different from others, but the anecdotal evidence would lead one to believe otherwise.

I'm afraid I concur with you. They don't realize that language skills is so important till it's too late and even when it's apparent that the child has a language delay, they think the CI will take care of the delay.

I agree..

That is a risk that they are probably not being informed of and it is just probably even more dangerous than the risks that are involved with the surgery itself.

So, is it the doctor's responsibility to inform the parents of that particular risk or the parents' responsibility to understand that the CI itself doesnt guarantee success with oral language?

Back