What about personal rights to choose?

Liebling:-))) said:
One year old? :shock: Is it same with hearing children as well in Norway?
Answering questions in totally disorder....

No, Like with you, 2 to 3 is normal. But this way she would be exposed to sign language for large period of times. We could never have done it by ourself since we had to learn as well.

Cloggy said:
Ah, Liebling.. (This really sounds funny when one knows German :Oops: ) you're allmost correct.... married a Dutch women.. who also emigrated to Norway... Rest is correct. Son of 9, daughter of 7 and daughter of 3½

So what attracted two Dutch people to Norway?

R2D2 said:
So what attracted two Dutch people to Norway?
I was send out for 2 years (14 years ago!!) to learn & assist in Software development of directional drilling software. (Yep. Oil-industry). My wife choose for Norway because of space & beauty...
That also the reason we're staying. Kids were born here, go to school here, have friens here etc. No reason to go back to crowdy Holland. Visiting Holland is great though.

Cheri said:
If you want to drop the Deaf Culture, Go right ahead, but don't expect me to be your friend because you cannot accept yourself as who you are as a person. I like those people out in the world who accept themselves for who they are, is not afraid to love themselves, those who doesn't love themselves cannot love others. ;)

I accept myself as HOH, always have and always will. When I get my CI, I'm not dropping the deaf culture, I've never been part of it. I love myself and I love to hear sounds, whatever they made be, love to talk and listen to others. Just because someone opted to get a CI does not mean they don't love themselve, or accept being deaf or hoh.
Thanks

Cloggy said:
No reason to go back to crowdy Holland. Visiting Holland is great though.

Heh... while I was there during my 6 months stay... I tell my dutch friends.. Nice country such like that.. they were grumpy LOL "too many tourist" :whistle:

Boult said:
Heh... while I was there during my 6 months stay... I tell my dutch friends.. Nice country such like that.. they were grumpy LOL "too many tourist" :whistle:
Yeh, the Holland area is like that. But the rest of The Netherlands is "tourist free"...

StacieLeigh said:
I accept myself as HOH, always have and always will. When I get my CI, I'm not dropping the deaf culture, I've never been part of it. I love myself and I love to hear sounds, whatever they made be, love to talk and listen to others. Just because someone opted to get a CI does not mean they don't love themselve, or accept being deaf or hoh.
Thanks

:gpost:

Nice post and a kindred spirit. I know exactly what you are saying as I have been there and done that. When are you expecting to get your CI?

FYI - I got mine last year and it is a Freedom.

sr171soars said:
:gpost:

Nice post and a kindred spirit. I know exactly what you are saying as I have been there and done that. When are you expecting to get your CI?

FYI - I got mine last year and it is a Freedom.

I go this Friday to find out the result of the ct scan. If it's all good in the ear they want to do, then it's set for the 24th of this month. I hope, I hope, I hope!
You like your Freedom?

StacieLeigh said:
I go this Friday to find out the result of the ct scan. If it's all good in the ear they want to do, then it's set for the 24th of this month. I hope, I hope, I hope!
You like your Freedom?

Love it. It is as advertised and more.

The best piece of advice I can give is that you need listen to what the expert's expectations are for you with it. Better yet, keep your expections low and you will be surprised. It might take off for you right from the start as some of us have or it may be a slow process requiring lots of patience and work which is probably most of the time. It all depends on several factors which are hard to predict. Just want you to have realistic expectations regarding a CI.

Oh BTW, best wishes on Friday.

sr171soars said:
Love it. It is as advertised and more.

The best piece of advice I can give is that you need listen to what the expert's expectations are for you with it. Better yet, keep your expections low and you will be surprised. It might take off for you right from the start as some of us have or it may be a slow process requiring lots of patience and work which is probably most of the time. It all depends on several factors which are hard to predict. Just want you to have realistic expectations regarding a CI.

Oh BTW, best wishes on Friday.

I do have realistic expectations about the CI. I do my best to make my family and friends understand as much as possible about CI, that it wan't going to "poof" make me understand right off the bat. The implant doc said I was a good canidate, b/c I speak very well. Hope he's right!
Thanks for the best wishes!

Audiofuzzy said:
I see a lot of arguments against implanting CI, especially in young children, and Ci in general.
[...]
What about PERSONAL choice?
Why does it make me Bad Person if I decide to drop deaf culture and join hearing world? Who and Why is going to tell me what to do?? Don't I have any right to choose myself who and where I want to be?

Who is going to make me happy, I or YOU?

Why some people, "hardcore deafies", should shunn me just me because I want to hear?

Fuzzy
What's wrong is making your decision to drop Deaf Culture and whining when people don't like you.

You can't expect everyone to agree with you, Fuzzy. It's unrealistic. What people are complaining about is that you seem to have this attitude that everybody needs to like and accept you in the Deaf Culture, even though you choose to stay out of it. For example, you whined about not being able to understand the ASL comedy of Keith Wann AFTER boasting and bragging about how great oralism is. You can't ever expect people to accept you if you keep blowing them off and then whining about not being part of it, and then whining that people don't accept you. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way.

I'm hearing, so take this with a grain of salt. I think, Fuzzy, you would do well to accept yourself for who YOU are, and not worry about what others think so much. As people pointed out, having a CI isn't going to give you a "free pass" into the hearing world. And, since you have been implanted, it sounds like many deafies are going to look at you sideways. It's unfortunate, but it's the way of the world. People shun those who are "different" from them. The best that we can do is accept it and move on. Those people aren't worth the time.

Good luck!

Thank you Oceanbreeze. I do accept myself for who I am- I was only theoretizing, "what if...." because so many people here seem to have "or-or" position.
Either you belong to us deafies or you are with them hearies. Looks like if a person who would like to stay with the deaf culture gets interested in hearing also, then it is 'either us or them - your choice',
and I don't think that's fair.

I am not planning to get CI any time soon and not unless my HA's will not help me anymore, and even then I have to take under consideration my migrane - how CI will affects it.
maybe it won't.

Most likely if the need arise I would implant myself because the way my life went it is only in a hearing world.
Unless something really unexpected happens that would make me ASL but I doubt it :)

Fuzzy

What's wrong is making your decision to drop Deaf Culture and whining when people don't like you.

OK HYPOTETHICALLY - tell me please why can't I drop deaf culture AND expect people will STILL like me?
I am the same person I was before I decided to drop DC. Why can't I visit occasionally and expect to be still liked?

Fuzzy

fuzzy, come over ANY ol' time! you'll always be welcome in my house! :dance2:

What's so funny to me is the deaf community expects the world to accept them but they struggle to accept those in their community wanting to better fit in the world.

Two-faced? Hypocritcal? One-way street? All of the above? Take your pick.

Audiofuzzy said:
OK HYPOTETHICALLY - tell me please why can't I drop deaf culture AND expect people will STILL like me?
I am the same person I was before I decided to drop DC. Why can't I visit occasionally and expect to be still liked?

Fuzzy
Cheri and rockdrummer said it best:
Cheri said:
I'm not going to stop anyone who consider on getting a CI, There is nothing wrong with my opinion based on how I FEEL. You don't have to agree with me. If you are happy with your choice, your decision, then why does it bother you so much on how I feel?

If you want to drop the Deaf Culture, Go right ahead, but don't expect me to be your friend because you cannot accept yourself as who you are as a person. I like those people out in the world who accept themselves for who they are, is not afraid to love themselves, those who doesn't love themselves cannot love others.
rockdrummer said:
Fuzzy, This is just an observation on my part but I don't understand your position here. You say that you want to drop the deaf culture AND you want the folks within that culture to accept you regardless. I may be misunderstanding something here and would defer to you to clearify. Perhaps it's your not wanting to be involved in the deaf culture that breeds the non-acceptance from the people in that culture. Personally, I would take offense if someone treated me that way. Say the tables were turned. I am hearing and my deaf friend that had a CI decided to remove it and now no longer wants to associate with me. How can you not take that personally? If someone abandons you (or you abandon them) for such a reason, I would argue that they were not TRUE friends to begin with.
Cheri said:
I agree with you, Rockdrummer. because once a person wants to withdrawn out of a community where their social friends go to, and want us to accept that fact that it's their life and choice, but what happened to our special friendship? It's not going to be the same anymore. It's like rejecting the Deaf community and the friendship all together. It would hurt me a great deal and I've been there before. I'm tired of people who want to change themselves and then becomes a stuck-up.
And I totally agree with them here.

In other words, you can't disrespect people and expect them to like you.

Back