Welp... I'll be leaving in two hours.

Enlightening experience!!

I was at the grocery store doing my thing. At the check out I started to hear this high pitched whine. It bothered me but I figured it was just someone's phone alarm going off or something. As the line moved up, it got louder and more irritating. Then I felt that it was maybe, juuuust maybe...a bit too loud here. I mean, to the point where I started to think OMG this thing is doing that feedback that everyone was talking about...oh good Lord...I hope nobody is looking at me. Oh GAWD please! It's not supposed to do that! ...

As it got even closer, I said to myself that I might as well admit that it's screeching, that way I can try to figure out how to handle this. So I leaned to the young man in front of me - he was probably mid 20's - and I said to him, "Excuse me, do you hear that high pitched sound?" And he nodded his head with an annoyed look on his face. At that moment I decided to save some embarrassment and play it off so I said "Where do you think it's coming from?" As I pretended to look around for the source.

He leans his ear toward the coin change dispenser on the check stand, than he points: "Here. It's coming from this machine." At that point, an employee comes over and puts her key in there, and the sound stops.

OHTHANKYOUSWEETLORDJESUS.

It wasn't my new hearing aids after all. *whew*

(such as trying to walk across a room without waking someone up), everything suddenly becomes louder....which is probably true for hearing people as well.

Oh, that is SOOO true :giggle:! Trying to be sneaky and quiet and it seems like your dropping bombs everywhere you go! :)

In a Cloud: Loved your story :)! Glad to know it wasn't your hearing aid and I must say, you handled the situation cool as could be :cool2:! If the guy had said it was your hearing aid, you always could have laughed and said "oops, I hear so well with them that sometimes I forget I am wearing them" or something equally silly :) (or just explained that they are new). I am sure if you ever have to deal with them squealing in public you will figure out a way to handle it discretely- and I think over time you will feel more comfortable with things and be less likely to be embarrassed by them. I don't think it's anywhere near as big a deal to the people around you that you wear hearing aids as it is in your own mind right now (hope that makes sense), especially if they are strangers.

I use to be hearing and now completely deaf. Sounds are definietly amplified with my CI. When someone takes a shower upstairs the water noise is so, so loud. Same as all the appliances.

I really like what Ambrosia said about the noises being so loud but not voices. That is hard to explain to people. Last night I went to a two hour baptism class at church, heard very little what the priest said but those church bells going off every 15 minutes stayed with me all night!!!

Sitting through the Mass at church is always hard for me, even with hearing aids. I really can't understand what they're saying. It's always been that way as far back as I can remember, which is one of the reasons I prefer to sit in the church and pray by myself rather than sit through the Mass itself.

I remember when I got my first digitals, sucky as they were, I heard the bell every time I got off the elevator which I never knew made that noise...there's so many cool things I'm able to pick up that I don't always notice it right away until I think back. I love hearing my cats purr...and snore.

I heard crickets this morning at 230am before I left for work. I just had to stop and savor the moment. :) I had honestly thought the crickets didn't come around here any more. And to think that all this time they were always here.

Sitting through the Mass at church is always hard for me, even with hearing aids. I really can't understand what they're saying. It's always been that way as far back as I can remember, which is one of the reasons I prefer to sit in the church and pray by myself rather than sit through the Mass itself.

I remember when I got my first digitals, sucky as they were, I heard the bell every time I got off the elevator which I never knew made that noise...there's so many cool things I'm able to pick up that I don't always notice it right away until I think back. I love hearing my cats purr...and snore.

I'm so thankful that my church has a FM system. Makes Mass so much more enjoyable. Do have a "streamer" or t-coil neck loop that can be used with Bluetooth? If so, you may want to look into getting Phonaks RemoteMic. I'm pretty sure it can be used with any BT receiver. I've used it at another church and could hear better than with just my HAs. That's because my HA mice are turned down or turned off when I'm using Bluetooth. Plus the RemoteMic has volume control so between that & the volume control on my ComPilot I can adjust the volume as needed. I just clip the mic to my shirt.

I'm so thankful that my church has a FM system. Makes Mass so much more enjoyable. Do have a "streamer" or t-coil neck loop that can be used with Bluetooth? If so, you may want to look into getting Phonaks RemoteMic. I'm pretty sure it can be used with any BT receiver. I've used it at another church and could hear better than with just my HAs. That's because my HA mice are turned down or turned off when I'm using Bluetooth. Plus the RemoteMic has volume control so between that & the volume control on my ComPilot I can adjust the volume as needed. I just clip the mic to my shirt.

I can see visions of leaving Phonaks RemoteMic behind or the speaker that you gave it to forgetting to return it to you.

I think maybe the Catholic church here has the Williams Personal PA version of an FM system and I know quite a number of the protestant churches in my area do including the United Church of Christ where I attend. The receivers come with earbuds but my hearing is too bad for those to work for me. I have purchased my own neckloop (not bluetooth so I don't have to keep track of another battery!) and like it in connection with the t-coil in my hearing aid.

Maybe slightly off topic but why has so much gone to bluetooth? Anything bluetooth seems to mean keeping another battery either charged or changed! I know I had quite a time finding a neckloop that also had a mike in it to use with a cell phone — just a plain neckloop not amplified.

I can see visions of leaving Phonaks RemoteMic behind or the speaker that you gave it to forgetting to return it to you.

I think maybe the Catholic church here has the Williams Personal PA version of an FM system and I know quite a number of the protestant churches in my area do including the United Church of Christ where I attend. The receivers come with earbuds but my hearing is too bad for those to work for me. I have purchased my own neckloop (not bluetooth so I don't have to keep track of another battery!) and like it in connection with the t-coil in my hearing aid.

Maybe slightly off topic but why has so much gone to bluetooth? Anything bluetooth seems to mean keeping another battery either charged or changed! I know I had quite a time finding a neckloop that also had a mike in it to use with a cell phone — just a plain neckloop not amplified.

So far the only person I've given the mike to is my daughter one time in church. When I used it in the other church, I wore it on my jacket. When I'm using my ComPilot, my mice are either turned off or on low volume (can't remember how I have it set). This allows me to hear whatever comes through the mic and I can easily increase the volume. Not sure why this works better than the HAs, but that's what I've noticed.
As to giving it to a speaker, I also worry about not getting it back. I put a label on it with contact info.

892187_10200948578775837_327967511_o.jpg

LOL!! TMI, TMI!! :giggle:

Thank you! Im just really glad that I'm doing okay with them. I just have to get used to it sounding like I'm talking through a slinky. :shock:

They look super tiny! Glad you are enjoying them. What size batteries do they take?

So far the only person I've given the mike to is my daughter one time in church. When I used it in the other church, I wore it on my jacket. When I'm using my ComPilot, my mice are either turned off or on low volume (can't remember how I have it set). This allows me to hear whatever comes through the mic and I can easily increase the volume. Not sure why this works better than the HAs, but that's what I've noticed.
As to giving it to a speaker, I also worry about not getting it back. I put a label on it with contact info.

This typo had me grinning! How do you like your mice?

I probably should have put it in a separate post somewhere but would really like some comments from others about bluetooth. It seems to me that so much has gone to that which means changing or charging yet another battery for each bluetooth item!

This typo had me grinning! How do you like your mice?

I probably should have put it in a separate post somewhere but would really like some comments from others about bluetooth. It seems to me that so much has gone to that which means changing or charging yet another battery for each bluetooth item!

Because the majority of people would rather deal with an extra battery than cords.

Because the majority of people would rather deal with an extra battery than cords.

That reminds me of what the office manager used to say where I worked for many years. "If there was a odd problem about the office he would first wonder if it was Jane's." I do seem to attract odd ball things.

I this case I would rather have a cord than keep track of the condition of yet another battery!

That reminds me of what the office manager used to say where I worked for many years. "If there was a odd problem about the office he would first wonder if it was Jane's." I do seem to attract odd ball things.

I this case I would rather have a cord that keep track of the condition of yet another battery!

FM system all the way for me. Does everything the ComPilot does and more and works better for me :)

I find the batteries annoying tho as my batteries could still be working for my Naidas but haven't got enough power in them to run the FM receivers as well. Get by that by changing batteries twice a week :)

Very true. Even CI's make those things louder than they should be. Good thing my brain has learned to ignore those sounds over time, but, when the moment is right (such as trying to walk across a room without waking someone up), everything suddenly becomes louder....which is probably true for hearing people as well.

Exactly.. why do things become louder when everything is quiet?

Back