Well, everyone else have fun....

Elliotts Dad

Reaction score
I looked for and found this site to get some info, but it seems to be dominated by anti-HA anti-Ci folk who just look for any opportunity to voice their opinion on why not to get one. Which is fine, I respect that, we all have our opinions. I just thought that a "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" forum would be a place for people to ask questions and receive answers on "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants", not to be pummeled with the often repeated Anti-HA and Anti-CI diatribe that seems to pervade this forum.

Honestly, I thought this would be an "inclusive" community rather than the "exclusive" one it seems to be.

I looked for and found this site to get some info, but it seems to be dominated by anti-HA anti-Ci folk who just look for any opportunity to voice their opinion on why not to get one. Which is fine, I respect that, we all have our opinions. I just thought that a "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" forum would be a place for people to ask questions and receive answers on "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants", not to be pummeled with the often repeated Anti-HA and Anti-CI diatribe that seems to pervade this forum.

Honestly, I thought this would be an "inclusive" community rather than the "exclusive" one it seems to be.

Join CI Circle. It is a group for parents of CI users.

cicircle : Pediatric Cochlear Implant Circle

Such is the deaf culture. This site is full of deaf people, so you have to expect some resistance.

Good luck with your son's CI.

I see plenty of threads in the HA and CI section that arent being touched by the anti-HA and anti-CI people.

It seems like more people are anti-oral only more than they are anti-HA or CIs from what I have seen.

Good luck with your son's CI surgery.

I think most of us are not anti-HA or anti-CI, but I can't speak for all. The majority of us on this board are from an entirely different generation than your young son. Different methods were used, different terminology, different perspectives. I am not a member of the CI circle as I do not have a CI, but I have seen that site, you could also check out deafread as well.

I think most of us are not anti-HA or anti-CI, but I can't speak for all. The majority of us on this board are from an entirely different generation than your young son. Different methods were used, different terminology, different perspectives. I am not a member of the CI circle as I do not have a CI, but I have seen that site, you could also check out deafread as well.

There are very few blogs on deafread about CI's or CI users. I would suggest deafvillage.

Deafread isn't a great place either. too many counter attacks if you ask me.

And the same people who are doing this are on deaf village as well.

I just use RSS feed for favorite blogs.

Join CI Circle. It is a group for parents of CI users.
cicircle : Pediatric Cochlear Implant Circle
I second that Elliott's Dad! Lot's of hands-on experience shared.
yep, I'm there and like the shared input!
Sad. :( Will miss you fellow Iowan.
oops, sorry Bott, to be more clear....I'll still be lurking around the site in general, mainly the "Parenting" and "Deaf Education" subforums (I still like to read everyones opinion) I just wont be reading or posting in the Anti "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" subforum

yep, I'm there and like the shared input!

oops, sorry Bott, to be more clear....I'll still be lurking around the site in general, mainly the "Parenting" and "Deaf Education" subforums (I still like to read everyones opinion) I just wont be reading or posting in the Anti "Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants" subforum

That's good! And those subforum get too emotional for lots of people. :)

I think most forums have disagreements. I have yet to be on one that doesn't. :)

Ironic because the pro-Deaf says pro-CI and pro-oral are overrunning DeafRead.

Oh really? Guess that happens..

It's like AllDeaf...

The liberals say it's too pro-conservative; the conservatives say it's too pro-liberal.

:laugh2:

Yes, I had people say that there are more conservatives than liberals on AllDeaf and vice versa.

Ironic because the pro-Deaf says pro-CI and pro-oral are overrunning DeafRead.

Big difference being pro-something and being anti-something.

If I say "rah, rah ASL" I'm not denigrating any other philosophy. Unless I do it out of context. Out of context, cheerleading a philosophy in the midst of a discussion about another is like butting your head into a conversation between two Red Sox fans running through the lineup and shouting "Let's go, Yaaaankees."

It's like AllDeaf...

The liberals say it's too pro-conservative; the conservatives say it's too pro-liberals.

:laugh2:

Yes, I had people say that there are more conservatives than liberals on AllDeaf and vice versa.

Yea, I used to participate in the political threads but it has been run over by the conservatives making me lose interest in them. I guess that's how the OP feels about the CI threads. I guess there needs to be a healthy balance of both whether it is political or HAs/CIs. I thought several threads in the HA/CI subforums were mostly about the working mechanisms of CIs, costs of parts, and etc..no arguments. Guess I was wrong.

Me, too. I check back in on both aggregators every so often to grab a few new blogs or just get a sense of what issues are new.

Back