Webcam recommendations

travisdoesmath

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I'm interested in getting a webcam so that I can sign over the computer. I have a mac, so iSight is an obvious choice, but since it's $129 for me (with a student discount) that seems kind of pricey, I was wondering if there's something cheaper that would work.

Any suggestions?

I don't know. I've got a crappy $30 miniature digital camera that works as a webcam as well. The quality sucks, but people can still see me sign anyway.

travisdoesmath said:
I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I'm interested in getting a webcam so that I can sign over the computer. I have a mac, so iSight is an obvious choice, but since it's $129 for me (with a student discount) that seems kind of pricey, I was wondering if there's something cheaper that would work.

Any suggestions?

If you're DEAF, you can go on www.hovrs.com and sign up for a free isight since u can use it for video relay services and u can get one for free in a few weeks after signing up. I have one here and it's free. It works similar way as you order a Sorenson VP, too.

sequoias said:
If you're DEAF, you can go on www.hovrs.com and sign up for a free isight since u can use it for video relay services and u can get one for free in a few weeks after signing up. I have one here and it's free. It works similar way as you order a Sorenson VP, too.

unfortunately I'm hearing and honest

travisdoesmath said:
unfortunately I'm hearing and honest

darn it! You could get a good USB webcam for $60 for Mac. If your Mac nearly new should be USB 2.0 supported then u can get a USB 2.0 webcam for around $60-80, the only problem is that ichat doesn't support USB but there is a program that will force ichat to work with USB webcams. I think you can get a firewire webcam cheaper than the isight- firewire webcam and has autofocus, contrast, etc that's why it's expensive.

try that one http://join.msn.com/messenger/overview/ me think you like better one? good luck! :P you surprise soon :jaw:

travisdoesmath said:

Any suggestions?

travisdoesmath said:

Any suggestions?

The iSight is of course, the obvious suggestion, as its REALLY worth the price. The autofocus feature alone smokes most anything else available. Another option is if you have a DV camcorder, you can use it as a webcam! Macs usually recognize and use them as cams, especially with iChat.

Putting that aside, if you do want to buy something else, you really do want a firewire webcam. A cheap USB cam really CAN'T deal with signing very well. The catch is that most firewire webcams are already in the $100 price range. You could start with checking out logitech. I'm not sure about their current webcam offerings, but they do make good products.

bree said:
The iSight is of course, the obvious suggestion, as its REALLY worth the price. The autofocus feature alone smokes most anything else available. Another option is if you have a DV camcorder, you can use it as a webcam! Macs usually recognize and use them as cams, especially with iChat.

Putting that aside, if you do want to buy something else, you really do want a firewire webcam. A cheap USB cam really CAN'T deal with signing very well. The catch is that most firewire webcams are already in the $100 price range. You could start with checking out logitech. I'm not sure about their current webcam offerings, but they do make good products.

hrml. Alright, I guess I'll save up for an iSight, I was very impressed with their quality, but unsure if it was worth the price.

travisdoesmath said:
hrml. Alright, I guess I'll save up for an iSight, I was very impressed with their quality, but unsure if it was worth the price.

Oh, they're definitely worth it. I have one myself. :)

Back