We need $1 and $5 bills.....

are there dollar coins?sure i only used paper bills when i in states.....that odd tax you pay when you buy stuff that drive me nuts,think got bargin then told got pay tax.why it not just incorperate it in price

Yes, we have dollar coins. Problem is that today's young generation don't know about them, and they panic & call their managers if you try to buy something with them. Or, they assume the silver dollar is a quarter.

The replies above are correct about stores running out of small bills....I blame it on the banks for setting up the ATM's for big bills only. Economically, it is not worth having ATM's spitting out $1 bills....and who wants to walk around with $100 in small bills? I did that once, I had $80 in one dollar bills, and my wallet would not fold in half.

Got a story to tell you. I used to work at a roller rink a long time ago. Remember cheapskates were like $2.50 per person? That happened with this price and I was going to come in to work as floor guard. However, the manager forgot to show up to open up and people were complaining when they will open. I HAD to open up myself, unlock the doors, turn on lights, etc. I was only supposed to be maintenance only. Just clean and fix things. But I had to run the WHOLE place myself except for music because it was sponsored by a Christian radio station and their dj was playing music.

Since I was not allowed to go in the vault, I had no cash on hand for people. FIRST person had $20 bill on his hand and I apologize to him that I do not have $17.50 in change. I quickly told about first 20 guests who came in including that boy that they have $2.50 IN QUARTERS only. Sure enough, someone did, then built up a bunch of cash.. slowly I asked them exact 2.50 in paper money and quarters.. then the 5, then 10.. Then I had enough to give the first person who came in with the twenty the 17.50 change back to him.

So, it is necessary to give ones and fives to stores because more people these days are NOT counting the total of the bill themselves so they give larger money for a break of change. I admit I do that often because I would not know the total.

Yes, I see it often at thrift stores, gas stations, etc. They said in gas stations, they have way too much cash and they have to put in vault right away meaning a lot of ones and fives go in the vault.

People using cards today are making stores not able to have enough cash for customers with cash but also people using cards will want cash back. I have seen that happen. Not a great idea because they need to keep cash for customers paying in cash so they can get change back. That is why the shortage of ones and fives everywhere.

I remember 2 months ago selling a bike for $65. The customer had 4 $20 bills. I had no $1or $5 bills. I asked other customer who was also there if he had any $5 bills. He had none. Luckily, first customer told me, " Hey, I have $5 bill.". It worked out well at the end.

i hate the $100 bill from the customers in the first thing in the morning and late afternoon. they expected the plenty of changes we have. it is a big NO! it is because we dont carry alot of money like bank do.

I hardly carry cash just b/c I dont want to receive coins in return so I use money card. :D Money card is nice like cruise control in vehicle.

What kind of places do you shop at? I use a debit card, I rarely even touch cash.

There are some restaurants or store prefer cash because debit card actual charge the fee that goes to greedy bank. Depend how much good or service value is. Between 15¢ to dollar per charge. I would say, it's not nice to mess up to local business.

Last edited:
Exactly, government had tried to convert paper with portrait of George Washington into a dollar coin for years since, their reason? Its cheaper to make a dollar on the coin rather than than on paper.
no believe it? Check this out
Dollar Coin Could Save U.s. Money On Money, Report Says - Chicago Tribune

You're little backward. It cost more to make coin than paper. However, coin last longer than paper. I have know that $1 wore too quick because it's too popular. I understand, nobody want to carry heavy in their pocket.

Otherwise, it would be perfect weapon in girls' purse and smack someone's face. lol

We actually ended up at a restaurant this weekend that posted on the door "Sorry for this problem, but we are unable to take credit or debit cards this weekend. We also cannot accept checks. We can only accept cash due to problems with the computers. We apologize for this inconvenience." Sadly, we had to go to a different place to eat.

I sometimes wonder if anyone uses their own money. For example, you work in a video store. You run out of $1 bills. Luckily, you have 10 $1 bill of your own money. Do you change your 10 $1 bills for a $10 bill? I wonder if anyone can get in trouble for doing that.
It's permitted... but usually with the permission of the manager or employee so that it doesn't look like it's being stolen or something.

Back