We have many advantages of being deaf

Another sleep-related advantage -- guessing this is focused on tech-related advantages, since it's in the HA/CI section, so I'll put it in those terms (even though I think this applies to any deaf kid, aided or not): we've gone to see movies and live plays at the theatre and if my daughter loses interest or it's a bit late for her, she can drop her coil or turn off her CIs altogether, cuddle up, close her eyes and sleep peacefully despite being in the midst of a loud performance :) .

Same with naps or early bedtime -- our household has never had to be quiet to avoid waking the baby, and our very loud dog barks freely.

She sounds so adorable! She will also have an advantage when she meditates. Will you teach her that later?

Sign ASL through window from me standing outside to someone deaf inside of restaurant. :lol:

Don't hear the airplanes overhead on this flight path over our neighborhood.

Same here, Kristina. I don't live near the airport, but we do get a lot of small planes in the area. I can just barely hear them, and only outside, and still, they are so quiet for me that they faze me none.

*SeaSigns underwater communication for scuba divers.

*Prefers silent when use only vacuum cleaner, blow dryer, stove & bathrm vents.

Same here, Kristina. I don't live near the airport, but we do get a lot of small planes in the area. I can just barely hear them, and only outside, and still, they are so quiet for me that they faze me none.

There are days when the family wished we lived farther from the airport, but it doesn't bother me. We are 1 mile away from the runway and 2 miles from the entrance to the airport. When the planes are incoming, we can see the people in the windows and the marks on the underside of the plane. Outgoing planes are higher up and we don't see much.

for me:
- Being able to turn off ears, not listening to parents while lecturing (even though its a bad idea..)

-Turning ears off when my sister is screaming

- turning off ears in a noisy classroom while trying to do class notes individually or working on the computer for a project

-sleeping peacefully through thunderstorms

- sleeping peacefully on school bus/ charter buses for band tours

- headache goes away faster (kind of)

- getting individual quiet time

- not using my ears when the CI's are off after taking a shower, just relying on captions and ASL in the house, i get too lazy to put my ears back on whenever i take them off.

For me

*Take my speech processors off to stop listen from my annoying siblings.
*Sleep well
*Loud party outside and needed a good sleep without annoying noises out there.
*sleeping peacefully through thunderstorms or very heavy rain
and MUCH MORE!!

Most of you listed what I was thinking of.

Able to spot things happening when every one around you missed it.

Being able to have lengthy conversations with people in another moving vehcile while on a road trip.

Deaf persons with Cochlear Implants can create silence anytime-just disconnect. Especially swimming from my direct experience.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Hah... everytime I read or think something like this, I think of the movie, Click, where the guy (Adam Sandler) does the "mute" thing on the dog barking with his universal remote. :P

Relying on visual, I have trained myself to observe all the more closely. I can usually make a good assessment of a person as to whether they are trustworthy or not, whether or not they are lying through their teeth. Like a sugar-coated quinine pill.

If you are the creative type (like me!), why not write character-driving fiction. I mean sounds like your visual understanding in inter-personal relationships will grant you precise insights in human moves. Your fictitious characters will read authentic to your readers.

Crazed Hearie (and struggling writer) is now officially jealous. Lend me your eyes BecLak...for the weekend, please. :cool2:

Does being deaf give one an excuse for any problem-the "hearies are "picking/oppressing" me"?
Is that an "audist crutch" apparently utilized by "deaf militants"?

Does being deaf give one an excuse for any problem-the "hearies are "picking/oppressing" me"?
Is that an "audist crutch" apparently utilized by "deaf militants"?

pretty weak if someone does pick on you for being deaf. I dont even remember being picked on for the last (atleast) 5 years. Only time i was picked on was on i was sensitive to deaf jokes when i was in 4th grade or so.

Now, many people in my class know i am deaf, but dont treat me deaf although they will make a small deafy joke every once a while which is not harmful at all, i laugh cause it is true/funny

I agree with everyone here. So I add something.

- I had no problem to focus on my duty until I finished most of tasks. I remember a few employees told me that they wish to be deaf because of annoying patients. Heh.

- Able to communication in pool, ocean, or in any water via a sign language.

- Babysitting siblings and not able to hear no loudly situation. It is very good thing. ;)

- Deafness may give you more strong visual. I'm sure that most of you guys already read articles about deaf people is more likely react to something quicker than hearing people.

Hmm..... Well, I can't think of more things to list! :shock:

Heh. :)

Back