Wat is it like to b a deaf person in the hearing world?

Ruthey

Reaction score
Let me first say, u may b pissed that im hearing, but my 6, almost 7 year old sister is deaf and i dont kno much abot wat it is like, and im doing a huge project on the deaf community and how it is unfair that the government can learn spanish and communicate wit the mexicans, but how do they connect with the deaf?

deaf in the hearing world

let say oppisite way- what is like to be a deaf person in the deaf world?

living in the hearing world doesn't bother me. because you get used to the h.world. but i wish hearing world could help deaf world and treat as equal at anything.
living in the deaf world is fine with me as long both side cultures of sign and orally. i can see those sometimes seperate way. some orally with deafness go the group, other sign lang group goes other way. some culture dont want deaf with orally living at locally. some culture want deaf with noclear implant at locally. you see sometimes they dont get along.

for me, i would like to see alllllll the cultures being along with any locally.

living in the hearing world make you feel sometimes leaving out or being left out as whats going on. the fact they are taking advantage of you or deafness. i have seen that happened.

it's just life. You learn to adapt. We are pretty resourceful people.

Don't be hard on yourself
I newly deaf. It's painful to be stuck between two worlds. I would suggest you start going to places like ASLPro.com Home Try to find others who are like yourself, thirsting for knowledge. Embrace both worlds as you have an opportunity to teach others what its like to not hear. I give out earplugs & always try to educate. There are many activities within the community. Give yourself time.

It isn't the lonely, depressing world I believe it is sometimes depicted to be. Sometimes things prove to be complications, but well, they're just like having too small of a refrigerator or being too short to reach the top shelf at the grocery store.

As HOH, some days I feel great and part of both worlds and other days I feel isolated from both worlds. It's not always one feeling all the time. Just like with anything, every day isn't the same. How I feel depends more on how the individual or group of individuals I happen to be interacting with treat me, and whether they include me or leave me out.

Why would I be angry because you're hearing? You're projecting your own feelings about deafness on us here. I'm a happy person. Stick around and it'll rub off on you! :D

in addition to Sallylou's comment, it could be said in a more precise way, we're happy the way we are but not entirely happy (or not at all, depending what situations/deal we receiveing and where about we are, in both geographically as well as the metaphorical socially defined landscapes) about the deals we get from the hearing world (but i know where she's coming from though)

Grummer, I suppose that I should have said that I'm content with my life. I'm not happy in a crazed, manic sort of way. lol

I'm only one deaf in hearing family so I can image how difficult to be around whenever you feel left out but if have some1 who can sign then different story :P but it can be difficult sometimes in a while :)

Back