Walk, Bike or Drive 1 mile?

Why use just one method? Use the car when the weather is bad and in the winter when it gets dark early. You can also drive the car once a week to deliver or pick up your change of clothing. When the weather is nice, ride the bike. If conditions improve with the homeless people, maybe you can start walking again.

I don't think it has to be a one way set in stone decision.

When I was younger, I used to walk a few miles to work each day (6-7 days a week). Most of the time I walked. Sometimes I rode my bike. When I had to stay late (after 10 p.m.) I would take a cab home. Once, it was beautiful weather when I walked to work, and was knee-deep snow when I left, so I splurged with a cab ride home during daytime. Even then, he dropped me off at the end of our unplowed drive (about ½ a block), and I took off my shoes and walked barefoot thru the snow. :lol:

They make velcros which go around your pant cuff to make it "tighter" so it doesn't catch in the chain... Check out running shops... Mine are reflective from roadrunnersports.com (an old season!)
I've used those straps; they work quite well.

I have been retired for quite a number of years but in this town my problem was never people but loose dogs! I am still reluctant to do much walking here. I will admit some parts of town are worse than others and thankfully there are hardly any where I live now compared to the part of town where I grew up and lived for many years.

I have been retired for quite a number of years but in this town my problem was never people but loose dogs! I am still reluctant to do much walking here. I will admit some parts of town are worse than others and thankfully there are hardly any where I live now compared to the part of town where I grew up and lived for many years.
A friend of Hubby's was recently walking his dog in a nice neighborhood. His dog was on its leash. The friend was carrying his concealed weapon. Normally he doesn't but he had it with him earlier at the range so kept it on. As they were walking, a loose pit bull ran from a back yard and leaped onto his dog. The man was able to grab the attacking dog's hind legs, twirl, and throw it back into its yard. But it came running back and clamped onto his dog's neck. The dog's owner, a big guy, came running out. Our friend told him, "Get your dog off mine or I'll shoot it!" The guy said, "Don't shoot!" and grabbed at his dog. However, his pit bull bit him, so the guy ran screaming back to his house. So, our friend shot the pit bull, one shot. It took a couple steps, collapsed and died. Then, the owner and his homies came outside and circled our friend. In the meantime, he had called 9-1-1, and the police were driving up. He explained what happened to the cop. Also, a mail carrier who witnessed everything backed up his story. So, the cop ticketed the pit bull owner for a loose dog, and told him he would have to pay the vet bill. Our friend's dog needed 30 stitches and other treatment. The guy did pay up.

So, you never know what can happen when you're out for a walk. That is so sad because neighborhood walks are good exercise and a way to know your neighbors.

I would drive the 1 mile , you can always get the car fixed but it harder to fix yourself if you get mugged or anything.

I would be more worried about stolen bikes if you ride. Buy a cheap, rusty bike that can get from Point A to Point B. People would think you are poor and have no money. They'll avoid trying to rob you. No one would rob a bike if U lock is worth more than bike. Try going that route.

I would be more worried about stolen bikes if you ride. Buy a cheap, rusty bike that can get from Point A to Point B. People would think you are poor and have no money. They'll avoid trying to rob you. No one would rob a bike if U lock is worth more than bike. Try going that route.

That's what I said above too. I have a citizen bike which folds up so people can't steal it. I used it all over NYC no problems during Hurricane Sandy.

I would suggest a jet pack, but like flying cars, they lied to us!

How about electric bike? I saw the electric bikes in the showroom of the store (across my work),they are up for rent or sale, lot people (tourists) rent them for fun or ride to a beach or on PCH.

How do I know if my car has synthetic oil? I drive a 2002 Ford Focus...I just got a new used transmission put in, so I'm trying to get it to last me another year or two before buying another car. Seems like the only way to get it to last 2 years is not driving it! :)

Older Ford vehicles still use regular motor oil. Some newer domestic vehicles use synthetic oil, most newer European vehicles use synthetic oil. Expensive oil services....

What about a small petrol scooter, they are really cheap and you wont have to worry about ruining your car.

How do I know if my car has synthetic oil? I drive a 2002 Ford Focus...I just got a new used transmission put in, so I'm trying to get it to last me another year or two before buying another car. Seems like the only way to get it to last 2 years is not driving it! :)

Transmission and engine ( where you put your oil ) Are completely unrelated. If you have a new tranny, you shouldn't have to worry about it going bad! Synthetic oil usually comes stock in newer cars 2010+. If you're paying $19.99 or so for an oil change, you're not running synthetic. Synthetic runs around $50-60 an oil change around where I live... but a normal oil change lasts 3000 miles or so, and synthetic runs you around 7000 miles, so it works out to around the same if you think about it, with the exception of it being better for your engine. :P

I ride my motorcycle most of the time. It's cheaper to fix and easier for that matter. I have a 2010 and I have less than 20k miles on it because I ride my motorcycle everywhere. Much cheaper and easier to fix a motorcycle and will save your car from miles. Plus it's super fun. :D Also, you could consider a scooter ( electric or gas whichever ) and save yourself if you're only going a mile.

EDIT: See someone else saw the scooter idea above. :D

I would drive the 1 mile , you can always get the car fixed but it harder to fix yourself if you get mugged or anything.

my friend's baby sister just got mugged in NYC few hours ago :(

No snow for me! I change clothes because I work in business clothes. Biking in my work clothes never goes well for me - pants get caught in gears, heels, etc. Fortunately, the bike ride is short enough that I never break a sweat. Biking in spandex is so much more comfortable and warmer.

I lock my bike with both kinds of locks (U-lock and wire lock) to help prevent theft. I will try a silk scarf if I can get my hands on one. Thanks!

oh you! you gotta ride like Californians..... and New Yorkers.

they all roll up their pants (right side) or get a strap. I see many Wall Street suit guys do it too :lol:

That is really terrible! Looks like an AD meet in NYC just got encouraging.

it's one of those snatch-and-run thing. she wasn't mugged at gunpoint or knifepoint... just some punk snatching her iPhone. I think in subway.

She's from Georgia and she's only here for a few months as an intern for... for... I forgot... some major fashion magazine companies. I guess she's not used to big city thing.

I ride my motorcycle most of the time. It's cheaper to fix and easier for that matter. I have a 2010 and I have less than 20k miles on it because I ride my motorcycle everywhere. Much cheaper and easier to fix a motorcycle and will save your car from miles. Plus it's super fun. :D Also, you could consider a scooter ( electric or gas whichever ) and save yourself if you're only going a mile.

EDIT: See someone else saw the scooter idea above. :D

If it weren't down in the 20's right now, I'd be doing my commuting on my Ninja, but low temps, higher speeds over extended distances isn't the least enjoyable.

You are right about how easy they are to fix, that is unless you go for a new one with computer, fuel injection and so on. A cheap old carbureted one is quite simple and if help is needed, lots of people out there on motorcycle forums, some experienced people will even come by and lend a hand.

Scooter for the OP sounds like a great idea, especially if the OP is commuting in a very urban area, in the country, scooters just block roads because they aren't capable of reaching the speed limit, so I usually pass them on my bike all the time in the warmer months..lol I even had one try to race me.. haha a little scooter versus an EX500 is no match. Imagine the ones that want to race whenever I can upgrade to a ZX600..lol

Back