Waiter hailed as hero after standing up for boy with Down syndrome

LovingLife

Reaction score
What a wonderful story...

A Houston waiter who refused to serve a customer last week did not lose his job. Instead, Michael Garcia is being celebrated for standing up for a little boy with Down syndrome, with people stopping to shake his hand at the restaurant where regulars are made to feel like part of the family.

One of those regulars, Kim Castillo, was at Laurenzo’s Prime Rib in Houston last week when several waiters stopped by her table. Her 5-year-old son, Milo, who has Down syndrome and whose speech is a little delayed, was showing off his new words and talking about his birthday the week earlier.
A family sitting nearby asked to move away from the Castillo family's table, and a man in the group made a disparaging remark about Milo.

“I heard the man say, ‘Special needs children need to be special somewhere else,’” Garcia told NBC affiliate KPRC-TV in. “My personal feelings took over, and I told him, ‘I’m not going to be able to serve you, Sir.’”

“‘How could you say that?’” Garcia said he asked the man before he left the restaurant with his party. “‘How could you say that about a beautiful 5-year-old angel?’”

Castillo, who noticed the family move but didn’t hear the remark, was grateful when she later found out what Garcia had done, even more so when she learned that the other family were regular customers as well.

“I was impressed that somebody would step out of their own comfort level and put their job on the line as well as to stand up for somebody else,” she said. “I know Michael did it from his heart, and from reacting to the situation. I don’t think he stopped and thought about what he was doing.”

Of the other family, she said, "It's sad that they're ignorant."

Full Story here: Waiter hailed as hero after standing up for boy with Down syndrome - TODAY.com

Good for the waiter! I hope it educates and influences people.

Wirelessly posted

If they were truly bothered by it, they could have simply requested a different booth without a reason. He did not need to make such a snide comment.

Wirelessly posted

If they were truly bothered by it, they could have simply requested a different booth without a reason. He did not need to make such a snide comment.

True, but I am pretty sure that the waiter or someone in charge would guess why they want to move to a different table. They're not stupid.

Wirelessly posted

dereksbicycles said:
Wirelessly posted

True, but I am pretty sure that the waiter or someone in charge would guess why they want to move to a different table. They're not stupid.

Maybe, maybe not. But it would not be the waiters place to ask why. I have asked to move from a table to a booth. I have asked to be moved to a different section. Never once was I asked why. They simply complied.

I would never thought that people who are still ignorant making remarks nasty about down syndrome. :shock:

The waiter did not think anything of the people moving to another table until he hear what the guy said.

Waiter did right thing, disabled children are just like us, they deserve to be treated fairly in society not being judged or looked down on/at. If the family do not like disabled children, they oughta to be shamed on.

Kick the guy to the curb but kudos to the waiter!

Equally amazing is that the restaurant stood behind the waiter.

That's Awesome :) very proud someone would do that. It gives me a little more faith in humanity lol

Very similar to what happened to us as deaf group signing away to our own element.... We were happy and having good meal out, the table next to us kept staring at us and said something to the waiter. Someone in the group caught what he was saying and told us. I went up to them "yes, we are contagious" you never seen people move so fast! I shouted out "don't forget to tip the waiter" the waiter was laughing so much. They had asked the waiter if we were contagious!

I read about this story not long ago via Facebook. Stories like this one gives me hope knowing that there are good ones out there. I completely can understand how that mother feels when she's encountered with a lot of comments that are deliberately insulting.

Back