VRS in competition!

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gee, I just got this forwarded email from dbarovian

Clearwater, FL [July 3, 2008] - CSDVRS, LLC, will introduce The Z™, a family of innovative videophones and software, during the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) conference held in New Orleans, La., July 7-12. The Z™ family is groundbreaking and brings the next generation of communications for both video relay services (VRS) and point-to-point video communications.

"We're confident people will be impressed by the stunning designs and ease of use delivered by these videophones," said Chris Wagner, CSDVRS Vice President of Marketing. "The Z™ videophones offer outstanding resolution and quality, two of the most important features for video relay services. When you have poor video quality, the videophone essentially becomes frustrating to use. This challenge was foremost in our quest for The Z™ and CSDVRS is very proud of what we have accomplished."

The Z™ family of videophones and software has been tested in the general market with great success and promises to provide CSDVRS customers with enhanced video call experiences. With three models of The Z™ to choose from, customers can choose from the video communications option that best meet their needs.
The Z™ Model Z-IP-340
CSDVRS has created a customized model The Z™ to fit the needs of deaf and hard of hearing VRS customers. The Z-IP-340 is the perfect videophone for everyone. For people on the go, the Z-IP-340 is a compact and portable videophone that delivers high-quality video using either broadband or built-in wireless Internet access. With a seven-inch, plastic-covered, high quality screen that can be closed for easier carrying, this sleek, black videophone can be used anywhere as a stand-alone videophone or can be attached to a television. The videophone also can be easily mounted on a wall.

Measuring 7.5 inches by 6 inches and weighing less than two pounds, this is the lightest, smallest videophone on the VRS market. The external battery provides up to two hours of video, with additional batteries available to allow many hours of battery operation. Other features include an onscreen keyboard and a remote control, your personal contacts, your call history, and standard 802.11x WiFi technology.

The Z™Model Z-T150
The Z™ Z-T150 is an elegantly designed, all-in-one videophone that has a built-in, high quality 8.4-inch LCD screen and an easy-to-use keypad. Space-efficient, this stand-alone videophone is the perfect addition to a business or a home office. Measuring 6.6 inches by 7.3 inches, The Z-T150 conveniently fits on any desk and does not require an external monitor or TV. The Z-T150 is manufactured by the leader in videoconferencing technology and provides an incredible experience for users who rely on VRS for their everyday business and/or personal needs.

The Z™ Model PC-100
This version of The Z™ is customized videophone software that turns a laptop computer or desktop computer into a superior videophone. This next-generation software has been designed to make it very easy to make VRS or voice carry-over (VCO) calls from a PC by incorporating the latest in video technology with features such as personal contacts, call history and a call recording system that allows the recording of calls for later review. The Z™ PC-100 also makes it easy to use VRS, make calls, or receive calls.

All models of The Z™ will operate seamlessly with the new Call-by-Name service that allows deaf and hard of hearing users to place calls to each other from any popular videophone - without needing to know an IP address. This is a free service offered by CSDVRS. Each model of The Z™ also comes with a 10-digit telephone number that allows hearing people to call CSDVRS customers directly - without using extension numbers.

CSDVRS will demonstrate each model of The Z™ at the NAD conference and will begin delivering the videophones by October, with pricing and ordering information available in the next few weeks. For more information on any of the new The Z™ models or the Call-by-Name service, visit CSDVRS.
About CSDVRS
CSDVRS, a video relay services provider, launched its inaugural service to the nation in 2000. By 2001, CSDVRS became the nation's only 24/7 provider, and also was the first to offer Spanish VRS, video mail and personal 800 numbers. CSDVRS was developed by and for deaf and hard of hearing individuals based on feedback from the nation's deaf and hard of hearing community. While other providers have followed our lead, CSDVRS is dedicated to that same spirit of innovation and commitment to excellence that took VRS from a dream to reality, by becoming the nation's premier VRS provider.

Wow, they build many VP's and there is no end coming in our sight. VRS are in the compeition in USA! :eek3:

Gee, I just got this forwarded email from dbarovian

Wow, they build many VP's and there is no end coming in our sight. VRS are in the compeition in USA! :eek3:

After all these years, it's about time!!! Thanks to Sorenson's and SnapVRS's willingness to invest in videophone technologies, the other companies have realized that if they want to stay in the game, they must also make similiar investmetns. The difference is that CSDVRS and Viable both want to charge Deafies for the equipment...not sure if that'll be a good business model for them unless the videophone technologies being offered are subsidized blockbusters.

Charge deafies ... not good business model?

Not sure why you think selling videophone equipment is not good business model - they argue that owning equipment gives you more rights i.e. warranty, customer service support, etc instead of being at mercy of the vrs provider. What says?

Not sure why you think selling videophone equipment is not good business model - they argue that owning equipment gives you more rights i.e. warranty, customer service support, etc instead of being at mercy of the vrs provider. What says?

There are pros and cons to both options. If you own the equipment, you may or may not get the expected level of customer support, and the warranties may have limiting provisions that reduce the value of owning your own equipment.

The cost of equipment may deter folks from buying specific equipment, and therefore not enable a redirection of the revenue stream from the 800 lb gorilla of the VRS industry to the selling VRS vendor.

Lastly, for the masses, "free" trumps anything that costs money up front. This is aptly illustrated by the TIVO dvr situation where most people are not willing to buy a TIVO because of its high up front costs and monthly fees, despite the fact that its way better than, say, a Comcast dvr. The point is that the comcast dvr doesn't cost a customer anything up front. Is that logical to me as a dvr customer? No, since I highly value the TIVO interface, but I'm not a typical consumer.

I think I like the 340 but with just two hours of battery time, I am sure they will come up with an adaptor to plug into the cigarette lighter. Maybe they already have but I didn't see that info.....anyone know?

I have been told that it is a bit cheaper than VPAD.

Which models? The one I was looking at, the model 340 from CSDVRS weighs a mere two pounds....

I can't see the 340 on pdf, dammit! Can anyone take a screenshot for me? :fingersx:

I saw the travel one...

Zip340 weighs 2 pounds... only bit third less than my laptop. Cool

Hope it goes with an adapter plugging in the car cigarette lighter, too.

How heavy does the MVP weigh?

I don't think I'm interested in zt150 since vp-200 would be enough probably.

Zip340 weighs 2 pounds... only bit third less than my laptop. Cool

Hope it goes with an adapter plugging in the car cigarette lighter, too.

How heavy does the MVP weigh?

I don't think I'm interested in zt150 since vp-200 would be enough probably.

I will find out about weigh soon.

Someone told me that Z-IP320 costs $100 and Z-T150 costs $199. Not sure.

I dont need to buy them. I will wait to get new HOVRS MVP for free.

First of all - allow me to say a few things -

I think we as deaf individuals should purchase the video phones. There are too many individuals with a variety of video phones out there - and when you use a specific phone it is directly connected to use their particular vrs. Now if we were to purchase the VP of our choice and therefore it wouldn't necessarily be directly connected to their VRS. (Logically) So basically we pay for the hardware and set it to our preferred VRS. We might like the hardware of one vendor but like the VRS service of another vendor. Plus by doing this - I have heard some individuals who have claimed that VRS would try to come and take their equipment back. If we purchase it - then they can't take it back. But of course if we do the purchase option then they should also have a backing of warranties and etc. And there has been comments from others that I have heard that VRS will provide VP based on your usage with their service. So it sets your priority level. What if you love their service but hate their hardware product and you prefer another brand.

Now secondly - to look into CSD Z - Honestly Tandberg is an EXCELLENT product. I have used the Tandberg 1000 product at my office and the quality is wonderful. You really can't go wrong there. And as for the Creative, I havent seen those - but seriously -

Sorenson - came from DLINK product that was previously available - they just improved it.
OJO - came from OJO - I dont think they were ever really planning to make it a deaf related product until SnapVRS came along and made an offer to partner.
CSDVRS - had been using DLINK products in the early days and now they are partnering and pulling out what is available and potentially better than what the current DLINK has to offer. So give them thumbs up for trying to improve the quality.
Viable - Give them hands up for coming up with the first product - it is creative and now the rest of the VRS will start following - other VRS can learn from them and move to develop and improve.

Competition is good -

*I know Im going to get flamed for saying that we should charge for the VP - but the only reason why I say that - is because there are some individuals who have 2-3 diff VP* and there are some who may not have one but they are on a wait list because they are waiting for the supply. So this way it gives everyone an opportunity to own their own VP. *

First of all - allow me to say a few things -

I think we as deaf individuals should purchase the video phones. There are too many individuals with a variety of video phones out there - and when you use a specific phone it is directly connected to use their particular vrs. Now if we were to purchase the VP of our choice and therefore it wouldn't necessarily be directly connected to their VRS. (Logically) So basically we pay for the hardware and set it to our preferred VRS. We might like the hardware of one vendor but like the VRS service of another vendor. Plus by doing this - I have heard some individuals who have claimed that VRS would try to come and take their equipment back. If we purchase it - then they can't take it back. But of course if we do the purchase option then they should also have a backing of warranties and etc. And there has been comments from others that I have heard that VRS will provide VP based on your usage with their service. So it sets your priority level. What if you love their service but hate their hardware product and you prefer another brand.

Now secondly - to look into CSD Z - Honestly Tandberg is an EXCELLENT product. I have used the Tandberg 1000 product at my office and the quality is wonderful. You really can't go wrong there. And as for the Creative, I havent seen those - but seriously -

Sorenson - came from DLINK product that was previously available - they just improved it.
OJO - came from OJO - I dont think they were ever really planning to make it a deaf related product until SnapVRS came along and made an offer to partner.
CSDVRS - had been using DLINK products in the early days and now they are partnering and pulling out what is available and potentially better than what the current DLINK has to offer. So give them thumbs up for trying to improve the quality.
Viable - Give them hands up for coming up with the first product - it is creative and now the rest of the VRS will start following - other VRS can learn from them and move to develop and improve.

Competition is good -

*I know Im going to get flamed for saying that we should charge for the VP - but the only reason why I say that - is because there are some individuals who have 2-3 diff VP* and there are some who may not have one but they are on a wait list because they are waiting for the supply. So this way it gives everyone an opportunity to own their own VP. *

:gpost:

Deflord, the original DVC-1000 from D-Link has a chip made specifically by Sorenson. Sorenson was the inventor of the video codec chip. If you open up the i2eye, you will see a chip that says "Sorenson Communications" stamped on the processor.

Sorenson just saw increased revenues and a worthy investment in the deaf community to develop a VP from scratch.

The reason why Sorenson dominated the market is because they had millions and millions of dollars to invest from their parent company. All the other VRS providers are companies that started from scratch and as an interpreting company. They are just starting to catch up and reclaim a market that was dominated by monopoly.

A good example is HOVRS, which recently merged with GoAmerica, is in second place with 21% of market share. That number is expected to grow once the MVP releases with the industry's truly mobile version. GoAmerica currently provides six, yes six, different relay services that range from HOVRS to i711Relay and contracts with three VRS services such as AT&T VRS, Federal VRS and Sprint Relay. Think of HOVRS as the Apple Macintosh version as compared to Sorenson as the PC product.

In final say, D-Link DVC-1000 i2eye was a Sorenson product marketed under D-Link due to their video processor. Sorenson was already a large corporation and thus had the dollars to invest while the other start-up companies did not.

Back