VRI (Video Remote Interpreting)

CrazyPaul

Reaction score
In case any one of you don't know what VRI is, it is a real-time video in which a live interpreter is present via internet. A TV, VRI equipment with a large webcam and an internet connection are required. The service is available 24/7. The system is movable as long as there's an internet connection and, of course an electrical outlet.

My workplace, USPS has one in a conference room. We use it for weekly stand-up talks. It works great. If a meeting for deaf employees is cancelled in the last minute, USPS will still pay a fee as per contract. If a supervisor wants to set up a private meeting with a deaf employee today, he/she must call Sorenson VRI at least 15 minutes in advance to make an appointment.

I looked up Sorenson.com for more info on VRI but to no avail so I tried another website, interpretype.com and found it. It shows that the average rate is 3-4 dollars per minute for that service. Wow, that's expensive. Ex: 30 minutes x $4 = $120 compared to an in-person interpreter who charges about 80-150 dollars for two hours minimum.

I would like some feedbacks from interpreters here in AllDeaf.com. Thanks.

I know a bunch about VRI and on site interpreting. What do you want to know?

VRI is generally cheaper, especially for short meetings (low minimums) and places that are outside of urban areas (no travel charges). An in person interpreter costs $120-$200 minimum through an agency (which a large organization like USPS would use) and that doesn't include travel or rush charges. A ten minute meeting costs $40 rather than $120 or much more.

Downside to VRI is that it's not good for certain types of interpreting (eg psychiatric or lots of speakers) and some Deaf don't like it. And you need an internet connection and computer, so it doesn't work for a walking tour *smile*.

I know a bunch about VRI and on site interpreting. What do you want to know?

VRI is generally cheaper, especially for short meetings (low minimums) and places that are outside of urban areas (no travel charges). An in person interpreter costs $120-$200 minimum through an agency (which a large organization like USPS would use) and that doesn't include travel or rush charges. A ten minute meeting costs $40 rather than $120 or much more.

Downside to VRI is that it's not good for certain types of interpreting (eg psychiatric or lots of speakers) and some Deaf don't like it. And you need an internet connection and computer, so it doesn't work for a walking tour *smile*.
I just wanted to know that my info is correct or not. According to your post, I didn't know that the rate for in-person interpreter service went up so VRI is cheaper. My workplace no longer hire in-person interpreters. Many thanks.

My husband, DHB had an appt with SS few months ago, and finally they have VRI... it went smooth. Let him explain more details! I never experience it YET. Someday I will :)

Back