Vote: What's the most annoying winter driving habit?

Which of these winter habits -- of other drivers, of course -- angers you the most?

• Hitting the brakes over and over -- back off, already!

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Driving too fast. Your SUV doesn't make you special.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Driving too slowly. If you're scared, stay home!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Not clearing snow off vehicle, so it blows onto my windshield.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Tailgating. You don't own the road, buddy.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
We pour mountain dew on our roads to make it very sticky.

Oh wait, that is at the race track while its 100+deg F

Cat litter. Hee.

We are reducing the uses of salt here and mixing them with sand. Mainly because the salt is bad for cars and the environment.

De-icer chemical is worse than road salt. Brake discs of former Dodge Canavan were worn out and replace new brake discs in two times.

Cat litter. Hee.

We are reducing the uses of salt here and mixing them with sand. Mainly because the salt is bad for cars and the environment.
Yeah... especially cars with metal bodies. I saw a lot of older cars with bodies rusting so bad.

i hate it when the roads are so icey that the car slides! scares she shit out of me. Oh I can't wait till I get to drive in that

(Getting permit soon after my 17th)

When it gets below 20 degrees, Missouri used Beet Juice with G something to melt the ice off the roads after they realize it is the safest thing to use for the environment and only thing that can do the job below 20 degrees since sand, salt, etc together will not do any good. It was the first I have heard anyone use.

Right now it has been over three days of foggy days, lot of people can not see good or run into somebody at last minute when they drive to fast. I was like what the hell? Are you paying any attention? Why are you speeding if you know the risks? But at same time it is annoying when someone on side roads go so frickin' slow when they can even go little faster when it is real safe to do so... The worse fog moment is back in 2000 when I was driving at night with white fog on the highway through country of farming part of Kansas. No one can see any further then their brightest part of the headlights. That area they are famous for deers trying to cross. I drive a 88 Beretta. I drove at 40 at max.. while trucks, and other guys went 65 to 80 mph... when they pass.. it is matter of seconds that I can see them from behind to front of me. Later, next day, on my way back in the morning, I saw few trucks and other vehicles on side of the road.. how about that? dumb drivers... I can speed but the risks.. and yes deers were involved in two out of over 10. no wrecks among drivers.

This morning, I was reading news. and found out that there were over 30 cars rammed together and some on the side.. 35 people injuryed and one 3 yr old boy killed in the wreckage at about 7:40am last saturday on highway not far from where I live.. they said the roads were little slippery since the fog and mist was hanging around so long, the cold freeze the mist on the road to make it that ... not giving people time to stop after realizing the situation in matter of seconds in the fog which you can see at length of two or three cars... the mph limit is 70.. image.. *nods sideways* what the hell are they thinking? They had to shut it down almost all day to clear everything up for people to use the highway.

I voted driving too fast. It's annoying because every time I drive on highway, I always see SUV or cars driving too fast and they ended up spinning and plowed into the median or shoulder!!! What a dumb driver. Rule of thumb are that when it's snowing out and snow on the road, DRIVE 35mph MAXIMUM on Highway!! I have always known that when it's snow or icy out there, it's a simple common sense that one must slow down to allow car to get a grip of the road and drive safely.

I've seen twice that SUV spun and went down on very deep shoulder (deep shoulder with cliff wall) front first with rear end standing up. I can see its rear axle. :ugh: :crazy:

Often, people who moved in Kansas from Pacific, Atlantic from South are prone to have accidents because they are not familiar with Kansas' harsh weather. Kansas/Missouri weather tend to frequently icy. Because temperature drops 30 degree when it become night. Once in a while it does drops 40 degree.

In fact.. I drove my 1967 Chevy C-10 long bed pickup truck to work during icy weather at night. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE SANDBAG or ANY weights. I had no problem getting to work. Only 6 people showed up that night which typically supposed to be over 20 people. Two weeks later, I was awarded $50 for showing up work on icy weather that paralized Kansas City. That was back then in 1992 hee hee. Many of my co worker were pissed cuz they didn't get cash award, just cup, watch or shirt that's all.

Catty

I couldn't agree anymore with you! That is exact my point, Im sick tired of seeing biggest ego trip SUV/4x4 owner passing me like that, I could refer an example as The Highlander as he is one of them! I despise those jerks! Because they are the ones that is costing us money Via insurance premiums!

DHB
I voted driving too fast. It's annoying because every time I drive on highway, I always see SUV or cars driving too fast and they ended up spinning and plowed into the median or shoulder!!! What a dumb driver. Rule of thumb are that when it's snowing out and snow on the road, DRIVE 35mph MAXIMUM on Highway!! I have always known that when it's snow or icy out there, it's a simple common sense that one must slow down to allow car to get a grip of the road and drive safely.

I've seen twice that SUV spun and went down on very deep shoulder (deep shoulder with cliff wall) front first with rear end standing up. I can see its rear axle. :ugh: :crazy:

Often, people who moved in Kansas from Pacific, Atlantic from South are prone to have accidents because they are not familiar with Kansas' harsh weather. Kansas/Missouri weather tend to frequently icy. Because temperature drops 30 degree when it become night. Once in a while it does drops 40 degree.

In fact.. I drove my 1967 Chevy C-10 long bed pickup truck to work during icy weather at night. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE SANDBAG or ANY weights. I had no problem getting to work. Only 6 people showed up that night which typically supposed to be over 20 people. Two weeks later, I was awarded $50 for showing up work on icy weather that paralized Kansas City. That was back then in 1992 hee hee. Many of my co worker were pissed cuz they didn't get cash award, just cup, watch or shirt that's all.

Catty

Catty

Yeah, I told people, nothing stops me from driving out there on the roads..then people start saying are you nuts it so freakin' dangerous or I can not do this, how can you be able to make it? I say I do not lose my job or I got to be at school, or whatever over all these years, I do agree with you that outsiders with no knowledge of this weather out in the Midwest and all the odd weathers in Kansas/Missouri they end up getting hurt, going to fast, panic like insane patient at mental asylum or go half fast as everyone is going.

About two years ago I think, I had to go to work, driving 2000 Pontiac Montana in heavy snow storm similar to blizzard.. driving on country roads, I only see one which I usually see about 20. I show up at work found out only half show up (that half lives in the town where I work)... I get to save my sick/vacation days when the others had to burn up theirs because of the weather. They put it on my record that I will show up no matter what unless I am actually sick or hurt enough not to work.

I couldn't agree anymore with you! That is exact my point, Im sick tired of seeing biggest ego trip SUV/4x4 owner passing me like that, I could refer an example as The Highlander as he is one of them! I despise those jerks! Because they are the ones that is costing us money Via insurance premiums!

DHB

Yeah, 4X4 make you feel immune to snow covered road unless you hit er umm .. brake :eek2: :jaw:

Wish them luck!!

Catty

Yeah, I told people, nothing stops me from driving out there on the roads..then people start saying are you nuts it so freakin' dangerous or I can not do this, how can you be able to make it? I say I do not lose my job or I got to be at school, or whatever over all these years, I do agree with you that outsiders with no knowledge of this weather out in the Midwest and all the odd weathers in Kansas/Missouri they end up getting hurt, going to fast, panic like insane patient at mental asylum or go half fast as everyone is going.

About two years ago I think, I had to go to work, driving 2000 Pontiac Montana in heavy snow storm similar to blizzard.. driving on country roads, I only see one which I usually see about 20. I show up at work found out only half show up (that half lives in the town where I work)... I get to save my sick/vacation days when the others had to burn up theirs because of the weather. They put it on my record that I will show up no matter what unless I am actually sick or hurt enough not to work.

Yup, I heard my friend's comment about me driving on icy/snowy road. It was the time of weather warning and was already blizzard, I'm moving along carefully like it never happen. I didn't care as long as I'm wearing good coat, hat, and gloves.

Catty

Yup, I heard my friend's comment about me driving on icy/snowy road. It was the time of weather warning and was already blizzard, I'm moving along carefully like it never happen. I didn't care as long as I'm wearing good coat, hat, and gloves.

Catty

Right on, also bring tools that helps you get out of trouble even it wasn't you who is in trouble. One time two yrs ago, i was heading to work in one of heavy snowstorm, a car got swerved off the country road abt quarter mile up front of me, you know we sometimes can see the lights of car moving funny, so you knew something is wrong. When I got to that end of the road where to turn which was where it went down in the ditch. I stopped to check since no one is around and it is out in the country. Found out it was an inexperienced young girl all alone, so I asked her if shes ok... shes relieved I am able to help, so i got my tools out, she didnt have right warming tools so i told her to sit in the car.. I will help her get it out of there. Got her out and I told her next time wear something better and be more careful.

People often have tools with them but not the kids and outsiders. crazy. They should know better, if they are not that good or not backing themselves up, they get in trouble with the nature.

Exactly, I know 4x4 does fool drivers sometimes. I do not trust them, especially when it comes to braking. I have had 4x4 vehicles since 2000 and know what it is like.

Yeah, 4X4 make you feel immune to snow covered road unless you hit er umm .. brake :eek2: :jaw:

Wish them luck!!

Catty

Back