Vote of confidence

Timrawa

Reaction score
I recently purchased a sign book from amazon. A month or so later a couple of boys, 18-19, showed up at my door. They indicated they thought, me, might be deaf. I told them I wasnt. I totally forgot, at the time, I had ordered the book. Im sure they were here to offer some support if I desired or needed it. A nice vote of confidence for society and deaf culture in particular.
Tim

I recently purchased a sign book from amazon. A month or so later a couple of boys, 18-19, showed up at my door. They indicated they thought, me, might be deaf. I told them I wasnt. I totally forgot, at the time, I had ordered the book. Im sure they were here to offer some support if I desired or needed it. A nice vote of confidence for society and deaf culture in particular.
Tim

More likely Jehovah's Witnesses.

And we don't really enjoy that when they show up on the doorstep.

More likely Jehovah's Witnesses.
First thing that I thought, too. Sounds like their M.O.

And we don't really enjoy that when they show up on the doorstep.
Yeah, I'm afraid "support" wasn't the first thing that came to my mind. More like stalking. :(

I'm really curious as to how the JW's get addresses of Deaf people. Amazon never crossed my mind.

Not long after I moved into a house, I had neighbor (hearing) who is JW and few months later, a deaf guy came knocking on my door unexpectedly. I was kind to explain to him that I was not interested and told them to leave. So another couple came, and told them the same. I then came to talk to the neighbor and explain to him that I'm not interested in JW lessons. I pointed out the respect is given to each other to leave each other's religion alone. After that, they stopped coming to my door... I have since moved and never been bothered again. I still see the neighbor once a while.

It is possible that JW people works at Amazon that saw the book to send the package to, spread information where deaf person lives as an target. It is one of the privacy violation they did if they really did that.

hm. I've been struggling to find people to practice my ASL with. Maybe I should just start ordering ASL books from amazon, and if the JW's show up, jump in asking them lots of questions. (They could, of course, choose to interpret this as interest in their message rather than my double checking my receptive.)

I guess I should probably take the "no soliciting" sign off my front door first.

hm. I've been struggling to find people to practice my ASL with. Maybe I should just start ordering ASL books from amazon, and if the JW's show up, jump in asking them lots of questions. (They could, of course, choose to interpret this as interest in their message rather than my double checking my receptive.)

I guess I should probably take the "no soliciting" sign off my front door first.

Actually, we have one, left over from the last owner, and the JW's do not respect it. :)

Hope I am not speaking too soon! But . . . I have not had any JW and they do have a congregation here. That may also speak to how small a deaf community there may be here (I have not been able to find them). I have not really searched in years after not making any contacts after taking beginning sign two different times way back in the 1980's and can't remember the last time I saw anyone signing in a store, etc.

Confidence misplaced?

Are you folks saying it was a religious call and not an offer to help a deaf person?
Rats. They certainly looked like they could have been JW.
That might also mean amazon sold my address to them. An even bigger rats.
Tim

Are you folks saying it was a religious call and not an offer to help a deaf person?
Rats. They certainly looked like they could have been JW.
That might also mean amazon sold my address to them. An even bigger rats.
Tim

But in your first post, you already connected the visit to your Amazon purchase?

I would you should have been disturbed right away when someone showed up on your doorstep.

It also is a security concern if strangers who might not have the purest motives identify a deaf household.

I tend to go with what most folks are saying, too; however, I'm not so sure that many deaf folks are ordering sign language books........even if they are non signers at the outset......:dunno:

I tend to go with what most folks are saying, too; however, I'm not so sure that many deaf folks are ordering sign language books........even if they are non signers at the outset......:dunno:

Good point

I had that thought also but it doesn't mean the JW stalkers use logic with their methods. I think they pounce on any scrap of "deaf alert."

I had that thought also but it doesn't mean the JW stalkers use logic with their methods. I think they pounce on any scrap of "deaf alert."

it is serious! we don't trust to JW. we know already. :( it is sorry I don't understand it I reading to comments :shock: I met to two met already I don't understand confusing, It is serious not allow for me two person hearing person, ask me sign language. I shocked I don't want to screw up. It is don't understand crazy driver mall. It is scary on mall patheric. I think so theory. they think so chat to me no reason. it is -.- embarrassment for me lost . it is no reason. I can't say word long time on again once times posts. that all.
I tell you story long. hard say tell word.

If you don't mind me asking... Why are JW's so keen on Deaf people?

Yeah, a couple of years ago I had the JW keep stopping by...their church was dying, and they were trying to find dhh people to join. It was SO annoying!

Back