Vicky gets activated...

That's great! Funny how hearring people like chat a lot while working.

People are STILL talking GEEEZ!

I feel silly for saying this, but I got a little too excited when I could hear the microwave beep 4 times. Ive NEVER heard it beep ever. I microwaved my coffee THREE TIMES just so I can hear the beeps again. I like this new map!

Enjoying my nuked coffee. :D

why do people TALK ALL DAY?! AND THIS EARLY?!

i've asked myself the same question many times. :lol:

by the way, even though you were born deaf, you're hearing with your ci better than i am! (i hear between 15-30 dB across all frequencies) good for you! :D

i've asked myself the same question many times. :lol:

by the way, even though you were born deaf, you're hearing with your ci better than i am! (i hear between 15-30 dB across all frequencies) good for you! :D

Wow! However, you have one thing I'm currently lacking... a working sound processor in my brain! There is NO way I can understand someone right now without lipreading.

I'm hoping to start AVT soon, after all the papers have been processed. (damn bureaucracy!) I have a feeling that AVT is gonna be frustrating but it's pretty obvious that I need a systematic way of learning sounds. Plus therapy is gonna show the progress, if any. It's hard to tell how much progress I'm making through from hearing random sounds everyday.

Wow! However, you have one thing I'm currently lacking... a working sound processor in my brain! There is NO way I can understand someone right now without lipreading.

I'm hoping to start AVT soon, after all the papers have been processed. (damn bureaucracy!) I have a feeling that AVT is gonna be frustrating but it's pretty obvious that I need a systematic way of learning sounds. Plus therapy is gonna show the progress, if any. It's hard to tell how much progress I'm making through from hearing random sounds everyday.

well, you've just started, so it's no surprise that you're unable to understand speech right now.

since i grew up hearing, it took me 2 weeks for me to have some speech understanding. by 3 months post activation, i was no longer using a tactile terp. (i don't mention this to brag; i'm just mentioning how long it took for me to understand speech.)

good luck with the avt! my former ci audi arranged for me to have avt as well, but after we discovered how well i was understanding speech, i didn't see the need to go.

People are STILL talking GEEEZ!

I feel silly for saying this, but I got a little too excited when I could hear the microwave beep 4 times. Ive NEVER heard it beep ever. I microwaved my coffee THREE TIMES just so I can hear the beeps again. I like this new map!

Enjoying my nuked coffee. :D

You crack me up! I love your sense of playfulness!:laugh2:

I am sure that you will do fine and when I came back to work I had to try hard to understand people arround the world using the phone on the 12 hours shifts and with other tools. Even so it took me about 3 months to get to 55 percent clarity with speech and at 6 months my ability to understand music came back. I do have a lot of practice trying to understand people at work and at home. You have a great altitude and a good sense of humor. Keep it up!

Wow.. it's been almost two years since my last post!!!

I must admit, I've been lazy about keeping up a journal. I should have kept a journal, because there are days when I think I am not progressing much, but I look at old emails to my friends and this thread on AD and realized that I've gone pretty far. Progress with the CI really takes baby steps.

I'd like to write down what I can do NOW with the CI, so that in the future, I can look back on this post and see if I've progressed even further.

1) Hearing and distinguishing high frequency sounds with ease, such as /s/ /z/ and /sh/. I never heard them before.

2) Other sounds like /ch/, /j/, /t/, /p/, /k/ are loud and obvious for me to hear, but sometimes I confuse them.

3) Also can hear /th/ and /f/ sounds, which I've also never heard before. They confuse me because I keep expecting not to hear those sounds, so when I do hear them I'm like "WHAT IS THAT? OH YEA.. thats an f... dang.. I can hear the f???"

4) I can listen to more sentences (without lipreading) with a lot more confidence. Before, I could guess if someone said obvious sentences like "How are you?" (by matching the syllables, I heard vowels well with the HAs). My girlfriend would say random things like "I love you, you little punk." or "I love that Cuban ass!" or "Come over here and give me a hug!" and so on. I'm understanding her more and more without lipreading her.

5) The CI is a wonderful supplement to my lipreading. I've noticed that on weekend mornings, when I don't have my CI on, I'm having a harder time lipreading people who are not easy to lipread.

I've had the CI for two years, and I've actually only had maybe 8 mappings. Which isn't a lot. I've been so busy with life, but that's okay, I don't need to hear RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW. I'm happy with my progress and looks like it's still going.

Wish I would remember to practice listening more instead of playing video games!!! :)

Wow. It's very cool to take a look at this thread now! Happy (almost) anniversary!

Well daredevel 7 like you discovering after your Cochlear Implant was activated-all the sounds everywhere that you previously missed is somewhat - overwhelming. I still remember "hearing" someone was following me walking down the street at night-there was no one there-just my footsteps! The suggestion to me was keep your implant on all the time and have your brain "start to filter out unwanted sounds" as it does for most "normal hearing people". This takes time and lots of your patience. Good luck on your new "hearing journey with the Cochlear Implant".

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Just wanted to talk about an interesting mapping I had yesterday.

I had a mapping about 1.5 months ago, and I've noticed that in the past 2 weeks, I would get this irritating sound whenever someone's talking reaches a specific frequency. It's not all the time when they are talking, but certain syllables would cause this irritating feeling. And it happens more with men who have a higher voice or women who have a deeper voice. I had CI therapy on Wednesday and we were testing out to see what specific frequency would cause the irritation. She determined that /ah/ and /uh/ were the culprits and wanted me to have an "emergency CI mapping" (which cracked me up cuz it didn't hurt me much, just annoying).

So yesterday I had that emergency mapping (It's hilarious to tell my boss "Sorry I gotta go, I'm having an emergency mapping." ) She tested each electrode, and we found 2 that gave the irritating feeling. And guess what? Those 2 electrodes are responsible for the frequency ranges that /ah/ and /uh/ are located in. I thought it was really cool for some reason.

What was even cooler was that, after correcting the bad electrode problem, we went on to do the typical mapping of increasing comfort levels, then did the Ling sounds. I got them all perfectly, which is common, but then she started doing babbling sounds with the consonants that I have problems distinguishing, such as /p/ /t/ /k/ /d/ /g/ /b/. She said all of them like "bo bo bo". I GOT THEM ALL 100%. I could hear WAY more details within the consonants than 5 min ago! The mapper and I looked at each other wide eyed and I yelled at her "SAVE THIS!! NOW!!! CONTROL+S!!!!! CONTROL+S!!!"

It was just kinda awesome how a little change can do so much!

That great! Funny telling her to save this now.

Good mapping is much better and no more annoying sounds.

Just wanted to talk about an interesting mapping I had yesterday.

I had a mapping about 1.5 months ago, and I've noticed that in the past 2 weeks, I would get this irritating sound whenever someone's talking reaches a specific frequency. It's not all the time when they are talking, but certain syllables would cause this irritating feeling. And it happens more with men who have a higher voice or women who have a deeper voice. I had CI therapy on Wednesday and we were testing out to see what specific frequency would cause the irritation. She determined that /ah/ and /uh/ were the culprits and wanted me to have an "emergency CI mapping" (which cracked me up cuz it didn't hurt me much, just annoying).

So yesterday I had that emergency mapping (It's hilarious to tell my boss "Sorry I gotta go, I'm having an emergency mapping." ) She tested each electrode, and we found 2 that gave the irritating feeling. And guess what? Those 2 electrodes are responsible for the frequency ranges that /ah/ and /uh/ are located in. I thought it was really cool for some reason.

What was even cooler was that, after correcting the bad electrode problem, we went on to do the typical mapping of increasing comfort levels, then did the Ling sounds. I got them all perfectly, which is common, but then she started doing babbling sounds with the consonants that I have problems distinguishing, such as /p/ /t/ /k/ /d/ /g/ /b/. She said all of them like "bo bo bo". I GOT THEM ALL 100%. I could hear WAY more details within the consonants than 5 min ago! The mapper and I looked at each other wide eyed and I yelled at her "SAVE THIS!! NOW!!! CONTROL+S!!!!! CONTROL+S!!!"

It was just kinda awesome how a little change can do so much!

does the program even has CTRL+S?

Back