Vibrant® Soundbridge

Boult, you're amazing.

Since you've kept tabs on a lot of different hearing technologies, do you think there will be a device that functions exactly like a CI except it doesn't have any external devices? And be rechargable like Envoy?

Boult, you're amazing.

Since you've kept tabs on a lot of different hearing technologies, do you think there will be a device that functions exactly like a CI except it doesn't have any external devices? And be rechargable like Envoy?
Yes, there will be, I already mentioned them in my last post before this.

I found the following information on the web regarding fully implantable CIs:

Implantable CI

A Canadian company called Epic Biosonics Inc. is developing a totally implantable cochlear implant (CI). It will be implanted under the skin behind the ear, in a position similar to where the internal electronics for current implants are placed. The speech processing will be performed entirely within the implanted component (unlike current implants, which require an external processor).

The Epic CI will have an internal rechargeable battery, which will need to be recharged about once a week. This will be done by wearing a small disc (attached to glasses or on a headband) for a few hours.

The Epic CI claims the following advantages over current Cis:

1. One of the big advantages of total implantation is the lifting of restrictions that currently protect the external processor. Swimming with the implant, for example, will not be a problem.

2. The Epic CI will be implantable in infants shortly after birth, because it does not depend on development of the mastoid bone.

3. The Epic CI will have 48 electrodes and will include technology that places the electrodes in close proximity to the appropriate nerve cells.

4. It has no magnet, so is compatible with MRIs.

Epic expects to perform their first complete implant around the end of next year, with full clinical trials to follow shortly. Commercial availability is still several years away.

I found the following information on the web regarding fully implantable CIs:

Implantable CI

A Canadian company called Epic Biosonics Inc. is developing a totally implantable cochlear implant (CI). It will be implanted under the skin behind the ear, in a position similar to where the internal electronics for current implants are placed. The speech processing will be performed entirely within the implanted component (unlike current implants, which require an external processor).

The Epic CI will have an internal rechargeable battery, which will need to be recharged about once a week. This will be done by wearing a small disc (attached to glasses or on a headband) for a few hours.

The Epic CI claims the following advantages over current Cis:

1. One of the big advantages of total implantation is the lifting of restrictions that currently protect the external processor. Swimming with the implant, for example, will not be a problem.

2. The Epic CI will be implantable in infants shortly after birth, because it does not depend on development of the mastoid bone.

3. The Epic CI will have 48 electrodes and will include technology that places the electrodes in close proximity to the appropriate nerve cells.

4. It has no magnet, so is compatible with MRIs.

Epic expects to perform their first complete implant around the end of next year, with full clinical trials to follow shortly. Commercial availability is still several years away.
in my other post on this thread, that this company has shelved this goal because they faced difficulties. That article was few years ago and the "next year" was supposed to be either 2004 or 2005. It never happened. Epic Bionsonics now just focus on creating electrode array for Med-EL

That's too bad. :( Hopefully another company will come along and pick up where Epic left off. Whether a fully implantable CI is something I would choose somewhere down the road, I don't know, but I think the concept definitely has merit.

That's too bad. :( Hopefully another company will come along and pick up where Epic left off. Whether a fully implantable CI is something I would choose somewhere down the road, I don't know, but I think the concept definitely has merit.
the three major ci maker that market CI in USA are still working on it. It is just that Epic Bionsonics has changed their business plan after running into difficulties so Epic will just make electrode array for Med-EL which does have a totally implantable ci on their road map.

Simply awesome... Now those deaf people will have one less cheap reason to whine about CI (it looking bulky and funny) haha!

I'm excited about what the future may bring!

Back