Veterinary care

NicoleLIZ

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am a veterinary technology student and am looking to use ASL in my future work in a veterinary clinic. I want to hear your stories about going to the vet.

I had to go to vet few years ago to put down my first Rottweiler. I was with my parents. I don't always enjoy trips to vet.

As for learning ASL, yes, it would be nice to know ASL for anyone that needs it. For me, I've great confidence in my English grammar so I do fine at vet.

I think that most of vets are nice people. They need to be when dealing with pets being sick. Vets are not like a CIA agent. They can afford to be nice so therefore, I have confidence that vet would write on ipad or notepad whenever I go there.

Vets work with non speaking patients all the time so are attuned to body language.
My last visit was an emergency visit with our 8 year old Shih Tzu female.

She had surgery previously for an intestinal polyp and was obviously in pain. I assumed it had returned as a full blown cancer.

By my mimic of her actions, the vet knew right away she had a back problem instead. Tests bore that out.

So my vet can do wonders without any ASL..

I went to get neutered but couldn't afford the co pay at the time...
J/K, My daughter is a vet tech conducting surgeries every day.

I do fine at the vet with just spoken English. Do have to ask them to repeat on occasion, but they're cool with it. And they always give me a print off of the appointment (what they did when examining or vaccinating, if they noticed anything, what possible symptoms to look for after a vaccination, etc.) with every appointment. I'm real happy with the vet I've been taking my dog to.

My Vet has a chalk board...and writes on it if I don't understand....He is also the nicest man...knows how I feel about my doggie and treats her very gently. When she had her yearly shots...he was so good at it, my doggie did not even flinch!...And he gave her a treat...not one...but 3...:giggle:

I am thinking about changing vets as my current does not look at me when she talks. Another deaf friend suggested I go there and said she's totally deaf friendly. My current trainer has told me of a holistic vet who makes house calls.

When I went to a vet a long time ago, we used paper and pen to communicate with no problems. The vet was friendly and had a sense of humor.

am looking to use ASL in my future work in a veterinary clinic.
Meaning that you already know ASL or want to learn it?

If you want to learn ASL in order to communicate with deaf customers, that would be nice but it's not required. It's up to you.

My Vet has a chalk board...and writes on it if I don't understand....He is also the nicest man...knows how I feel about my doggie and treats her very gently. When she had her yearly shots...he was so good at it, my doggie did not even flinch!...And he gave her a treat...not one...but 3...:giggle:
Unfair! When I was a kid and visited a doctor, I got only one lollipop. :lol:

QUOTE=CrazyPaul;2188259]Unfair! When I was a kid and visited a doctor, I got only one lollipop. :lol:[/QUOTE]

:nana:......:giggle:

brick easy done :)

is it the same as vet nurse sound great job

She is a Vet Tech, but working above her pay scale... she doesn't mind since she gains hands on experience. She wants to open her own Vet in the future but if things don't pan out she wants to go back to school for Nursing at the Hospital.

Back