Very good article about the schizophrenia

I have a cousin and an uncle who are both schizophrenic. They aren't related. My cousin is on my Dad's side of the family, and my uncle is on my Mother's side.

I don't know that much about my uncle's course of illness, but my cousin would stop taking her medications, and would hear voices that told her to harm herself. One time, she shot herself in the stomach with a shotgun. Miraculously, she lived, but she lost half her stomach, a portion of intestine, and several other organs.

Schizophrenia is a horrible disease.

I have a cousin and an uncle who are both schizophrenic. They aren't related. My cousin is on my Dad's side of the family, and my uncle is on my Mother's side.

I don't know that much about my uncle's course of illness, but my cousin would stop taking her medications, and would hear voices that told her to harm herself. One time, she shot herself in the stomach with a shotgun. Miraculously, she lived, but she lost half her stomach, a portion of intestine, and several other organs.

Schizophrenia is a horrible disease.

Agreed. And one thing I would like people to understand is that schizophrenics are usually more of a danger to themselves than to others.

Agreed. And one thing I would like people to understand is that schizophrenics are usually more of a danger to themselves than to others.

Wow, ok. I just learned something! I didn't know that, either. I know that's true of my cousin, but I had thought that schizophrenics were equally a danger to themselves as well as others.

My brother's sons have a step brother who is schizophrenic...childhood onset. The pattern is the same with him. When he is on his meds, he is lucid, and really pretty enjoyable to be around. When he is off his meds and goes into a break, it usually requires hospitalization to stabilize him.
The unfortunate thing about schizophrenics is that they routinely stop taking their meds.

Yes, there is believed to be a genetic link, and MRI has shown some differences in the brains of schizophrenics and non-schizophrenics.

Yeah, The bad thing is - when they're off their meds, they are bound to be more harmful to theirselves than it is to others. At times I felt so helpless because there was not much I could do about it but just to watch what he is going through.

Wow, ok. I just learned something! I didn't know that, either. I know that's true of my cousin, but I had thought that schizophrenics were equally a danger to themselves as well as others.

That's a common misconception. The large majority of scizophrenics are not dangerous to others. They are much more inclined to hurt themselves.

Yeah, The bad thing is - when they're off their meds, they are bound to be more harmful to theirselves than it is to others. At times I felt so helpless because there was not much I could do about it but just to watch what he is going through.

I know. It is very distressing to watch the pain and the torment they go through.

Da what Jillio

My man was courting with this woman in the past, they both had the same counselor, my man told me this in private, not to anyone else, cuz I'am his fiancee, no counselor told me or talk to me about his ex-so-called, I did not revealed a person's name in here, my man told me one word that she has this kinds of diseased, also a guy I talked to told me what his ex did to that poor kitty, counselor did not revealed any information about this woman to me.

If a counselor has revealed the diagnosis of a patient to anyone else, they have violated the law. It is illegal to discuss the diagnosis with anyone.

My man was courting with this woman in the past, they both had the same counselor, my man told me this in private, not to anyone else, cuz I'am his fiancee, no counselor told me or talk to me about his ex-so-called, I did not revealed a person's name in here, my man told me one word that she has this kinds of diseased, also a guy I talked to told me what his ex did to that poor kitty, counselor did not revealed any information about this woman to me.

Doesn't matter if they had the same counselor or not. It is a breach of confidentiality to reveal anyone else's diagnosis. The therapist that did so violated a the code of ethics than could result in the loss of her/his license. Likewise, if the woman whose diagnosis she revealed chose to sue her, she would win a lawsuit based on that breach. If the counselor revealed the diagnosis of another patient to your bf, then the counselor violated the law and the ethical codes of her licensing organization.

Doesn't matter if they had the same counselor or not. It is a breach of confidentiality to reveal anyone else's diagnosis. The therapist that did so violated a the code of ethics than could result in the loss of her/his license. Likewise, if the woman whose diagnosis she revealed chose to sue her, she would win a lawsuit based on that breach. If the counselor revealed the diagnosis of another patient to your bf, then the counselor violated the law and the ethical codes of her licensing organization.

I agree with you.

I am sure there are many people who are schizophrenic need medicines because of the terrible episodes (such as hallucinating, hear voices and so on). For that specific person, Why post this here if you oppose the idea of giving out the medicines to your clients at work? *me confused*

One of my our friend have schizophrenia. I never hear of it. I just learning from her. I met the lady and her husband's best friend of my husband. She act like a weird behavoirial when I was first met her. My husband told her to write a note and tell what is her name and nice to meet. She wrote a note to talk to me. She act feeling like stupid. I was communicate with my husband and his best friend expert her. Because she was rude at me first. She felt left out. She used to not like me at first time. I do nothing with her. I told my husband. What's wrong with her? He said he don't know why. He said she don't have a wellness in her brain. She was in extreme danger at night. When she was fighting with her husband. She took baby go outside during in winter time. It's very cold and snow out there. The police drove and saw her walking a stroller with her daughter at dark and cold. He told her to go home because of cold weather for her baby. Her husband took her to hospitalized many times. She wanted to kill herself.

She isn't a social person. She always make break the friendship and back to friends again off on off on off on. Now She is changing her a lot better but still take a medicines. She had remove the ovary because of cysts and endo. She can't have a babies anymore. She had change her mood if she get other babies. Her doctor ordered her not have another babies due to mental illness. She have only one daughter that all. She did cheat on her husband triples times. They got divorced last years ago. Then they got back together again. It's so crazy! If she don't take a medicines. She will be go crazy!

I had a roommate like that when I was at MSSD. A lot of people thought she was on drugs because she'd laugh at the wrong time and sometimes a lot longer than is considered acceptable. I disagreed with them as druggies normally don't have delusions about people and she could be a bit paranoid at times and she once told me most people were evil minded. Hearing that really depressed me.

She was obsessed with an actor and she'd talk to his picture every night. Every now and then she'd send him stuff she got from the Gally book store. When I asked why she talked to his picture, her answer really made me wonder about her mental state; her reply was that he talked to her thru his picture every night. Oh, yeah she'd talk to voices in her head.

Someone who works in the counseling field said she sounds like she's bipolar but I don't think this fits Bipolor.

I had a roommate like that when I was at MSSD. A lot of people thought she was on drugs because she'd laugh at the wrong time and sometimes a lot longer than is considered acceptable. I disagreed with them as druggies normally don't have delusions about people and she could be a bit paranoid at times and she once told me most people were evil minded. Hearing that really depressed me.

She was obsessed with an actor and she'd talk to his picture every night. Every now and then she'd send him stuff she got from the Gally book store. When I asked why she talked to his picture, her answer really made me wonder about her mental state; her reply was that he talked to her thru his picture every night. Oh, yeah she'd talk to voices in her head.

Someone who works in the counseling field said she sounds like she's bipolar but I don't think this fits Bipolor.

There are some forms of Bi-Polar that experience hallucinations, especially auditory hallucinations during a manic phase. Paranoia can be a symptom, as well. The laughing at innappropriate times could also be indicative of a manic phase. It would really be difficult to make a definitive dx in a case like this without a lot more information. It could be either disorder.

And will be for life. Schizophrenia is not curable. It is, however, treatable.

Really? Ouch! Is that crazy? That's sad! My friend is still go to therapy for Schizophrenia. She is hearing not deaf. I want to know about Schizophrenia. I don't want to be in dangerous with her. You know what I mean?

Really? Ouch! Is that crazy? That's sad! My friend is still go to therapy for Schizophrenia. She is hearing not deaf. I want to know about Schizophrenia. I don't want to be in dangerous with her. You know what I mean?

Schizophrenics are normally more of a danger to themselves than others. You have no need to be afraid of her, particularly as long as she is on her medication. Quite the opposite. Being a friend to her can make her illness much easier for her to deal with.

And yes, I agree with you. It is very sad to see someone stricken with this disorder. It is a horrible disease, and those who have it suffer a great deal.

There are some forms of Bi-Polar that experience hallucinations, especially auditory hallucinations during a manic phase. Paranoia can be a symptom, as well. The laughing at innappropriate times could also be indicative of a manic phase. It would really be difficult to make a definitive dx in a case like this without a lot more information. It could be either disorder.

Ah, I see. What questions or what symtoms would you ask/or observe in order to make a definiate dx? It's my understanding that Shizoprenica is a devasting disorder that usually comes in late teens; I met my roommate when we both turned 14.

Ah, I see. What questions or what symtoms would you ask/or observe in order to make a definiate dx? It's my understanding that Shizoprenica is a devasting disorder that usually comes in late teens; I met my roommate when we both turned 14.

There are earlier onsets, and those are the most devastating forms. 14 is actually a fairly early onset, normally sx begin to appear in late teens and early adulthood. Although there can be precursors prior to that.

Well, I would definately need a family hx, and a complete medical hx. Then I would look for things like isolating behaviors, the use of neurologisms, the inability to maintain eye contact, loss of touch with reality, word salads and disconnected thought patterns, overall innappropriate social behaviors, and a generalized flat affect. Any paranoid tendencies should be noted, as well as delusional thought patterns regarding self and others. Often, it is difficult to make a definitive dx, even though one strongly suspects schizophrenia, until the client actually experiences their first psychotic break.

Thank you for telling me. I am not going to avoid her. I am still friend with her.

Schizophrenics are normally more of a danger to themselves than others. You have no need to be afraid of her, particularly as long as she is on her medication. Quite the opposite. Being a friend to her can make her illness much easier for her to deal with.

And yes, I agree with you. It is very sad to see someone stricken with this disorder. It is a horrible disease, and those who have it suffer a great deal.

Back