"Update your VP"

I have been using port forwarding for almost a year so far. I found out that not all routers/modem would work well with port forwarding, so I use DMZ from time to time, but for some reason, DMZ won't work while port forwarding works. That is something I still baffled, even if it is same brand and model. I didn't follow the firmware so I have no idea if it has any effect.

What I found out is that it is best to set DMZ as front line defense if you know how to set up correctly. That means involves more than one NAT servers*. To increase security, use DMZ on first router to the second router and have all of your VP, like VP-200, MVP, Ojo, etc also one of your gaming console connected on that router (second one) and you can set port forwarding on second router, then from first router to third router which won't have DMZ, and there won't be port available to third router except port 21, 25,80,110 and 443.. (Correct me if I am wrong) and have all of your computer connected to that third router. It is very safe that way because hackers will try to hack though second router but because all of videoconferencing device have nothing for hackers to gain for and they won't be able to hack your computer. That is because DMZ technically forced hackers to go to second router not the third router hence higher security. The more routers you got in system, the harder the hackers breaks in. Best have various of brands to confuse the hackers. The only drawbacks is that it will increase latency on computer.

For more information, tricks, workaround, etc feel free PM me as I have done these stuff plenty of times for living. :)

I second that. I always prefer to use port forwarding over DMZ. Even though the VP-200 is not really hackable, DMZ is ok, but I am a control freak and I like to specify only the ports that are necessary.

* NAT server is found commonly in routers, and gateway modems. However you can turn your PC into NAT server.

I have been using port forwarding for almost a year so far. I found out that not all routers/modem would work well with port forwarding, so I use DMZ from time to time, but for some reason, DMZ won't work while port forwarding works. That is something I still baffled, even if it is same brand and model. I didn't follow the firmware so I have no idea if it has any effect.

What I found out is that it is best to set DMZ as front line defense if you know how to set up correctly. That means involves more than one NAT servers*. To increase security, use DMZ on first router to the second router and have all of your VP, like VP-200, MVP, Ojo, etc also one of your gaming console connected on that router (second one) and you can set port forwarding on second router, then from first router to third router which won't have DMZ, and there won't be port available to third router except port 21, 25,80,110 and 443.. (Correct me if I am wrong) and have all of your computer connected to that third router. It is very safe that way because hackers will try to hack though second router but because all of videoconferencing device have nothing for hackers to gain for and they won't be able to hack your computer. That is because DMZ technically forced hackers to go to second router not the third router hence higher security. The more routers you got in system, the harder the hackers breaks in. Best have various of brands to confuse the hackers. The only drawbacks is that it will increase latency on computer.

For more information, tricks, workaround, etc feel free PM me as I have done these stuff plenty of times for living. :)

* NAT server is found commonly in routers, and gateway modems. However you can turn your PC into NAT server.

DMZ never will work for more than one VP at single public IP. So use forward port!

Also some DSL modem have built-in firewall but don't have DMZ. Sometime newer DSL modem(with DHCP server ) does not have DMZ and port forward so use bridged mode.

Btw I use DMZ and forward port (different IP address) at same time and no problem so far.

DMZ never will work for more than one VP at single public IP. So use forward port!

Also some DSL modem have built-in firewall but don't have DMZ. Sometime newer DSL modem(with DHCP server ) does not have DMZ and port forward so use bridged mode.

What is brand name of newer dsl modem which excluding DMZ and port forwarding?

Like I said if done correctly you can do DMZ from first router to second router then set up port forward on 2nd router, it WILL work.

DMZ is like forward ALL available ports to another device.

Btw I use DMZ and forward port (different IP address) at same time and no problem so far.

If you've got servers and such like I do, then you'd definitely need static IPs.

Any other questions? Or am I talking too much? :P

In all honesty, it should go with how you've got things set up. If it's easier to do DMZ, then by all means, do so. If you're security-paranoid, like I am, then simply port-forward.

use router! router answer your prayer almost all router has NAT build in why worry over computer with static publc ip? you like drop your pants and show your dick to internet?

If you've got servers and such like I do, then you'd definitely need static IPs.
use private ip and router!!!

listen to ricky66

Like I said if done correctly you can do DMZ from first router to second router then set up port forward on 2nd router, it WILL work.

yup ! but more specfically - DMZ is forwards all ports to ONE particular IP address, doesnt matter if it class A or C

No need second router. It's waste of money and too much wired. I have single router and work great for two VPs for a year. :cool2:

Sure, can go for one router, but if you want to increase security, the more routers in, the more confuse for any intruders.

One router may do well with some ports and lousy with other ports, leaving these lousy port open for security risk, adding different brand of router would cover some or all of the lousy ports.

I know some hackers, and they all told me they hate those people who set up multiple routers to confuse them. Good for them, and they said if I want increase security, the more router will increase the security as long as it is mix of various brand/models.

Bottom line, I do this for living means my it is part of my job and I do them on daily basis.

No need second router. It's waste of money and too much wired. I have single router and work great for two VPs for a year. :cool2:

Sure, can go for one router, but if you want to increase security, the more routers in, the more confuse for any intruders.

One router may do well with some ports and lousy with other ports, leaving these lousy port open for security risk, adding different brand of router would cover some or all of the lousy ports.

I know some hackers, and they all told me they hate those people who set up multiple routers to confuse them. Good for them, and they said if I want increase security, the more router will increase the security as long as it is mix of various brand/models.

Bottom line, I do this for living means my it is part of my job and I do them on daily basis.

No matter. It's still wasted of money and never leave default subnet. Use private IP and Mac Address filter.
Also must check http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scanner/ to make sure ports is closed.

MAC Address Spoofing is more HARDER than IP spoofing.
:cool2:

how do you know dlink used on computer belong set up vp 2eye?

I let's know more question to you I need to help you I would be interest about to dlink is setting up belong to computer. I think so you are know how can help fix on computer? do you know website? I think so find out search website. I would be help you teach me how can fix on computer?

I let's know more question to you I need to help you I would be interest about to dlink is setting up belong to computer. I think so you are know how can help fix on computer? do you know website? I think so find out search website. I would be help you teach me how can fix on computer?

:scratch: smithtr, I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have no clue what you are talking about. Please rephrase your sentence, thank you.

smithr - are you trying to setup a dlink eye2i vp ? Are you saying you need help in how to setup the ports on your router with your pc ?

If yes, then we need to know whats your router model number and brand. We also need to know whats your ISP modem model is. Once ALL of this info is received, it's very easy to send you instructions on how to get this setup for you.

Back