"Update your VP"

Bart - you can use both vp's on same public ip. You just need to understand the limitations of it though. first vp should have the in/outbound ports open .the other vp would have a different private ip address then the first ip and all the outbound ports open. This would allow you to use both vps at the same time . The first vp can be used for calling out and in. the second vp can be used to be calling out only. The only way you will know if you have a incoming calls is to check the missing call frequently. This is pretty much the only way with more then 1 vp on same public ip address. If you want both vps to work incoming call and outgoing call then you will have to pony up the cash for a second ip address.

If any of you say this is not good enough or dont buy this story, then you can go study networking and see if you can come up with a new solution. Its certainly not sorenson fault or any VRS provider fault.

Ahhhhhh, I agree with radioman. He explain more clearly than me. Thanks radioman. :)

Last week, I was experiementing Ojo using 10 digit number. I was calling my friend using Sorenson Phone number on my Ojo. It did got thru, Ojo's screen was flashing while it"s ringing (interesting) then finally my friend answered and was surprised that my screen is narrow and she went :confused: and I told her it's my Ojo in garage. :giggle: and we had good 5 min chat then I signed off. I called another friend (was so excited!) And Ojo refuse to dial thru other Sorenson ph number :ugh: I tried other and not working. Ummh!! I called SnapVrs help and I explained them that I couldn't call other but one on 10 digit number? She explained me that some deaf already have e911 setup for Sorenson and maybe other haven't. I told her that it probably xplains why I couldn't go thru. She said we are waiting for 10 digit to come. Still waiting. I told her ok no plm and signed off.

it's been a month since Snap Vrs told me that they're waiting and now waiting. Oh well I guess I have to wait till they get it so I can call friend thru Ojo in garage. I teased my friend that if I work on truck, putting Ojo on truck frame wherever it can sit on, her hubby can join me in watch me do job and have a chat with me. :rofl:

Catty

Do you interest MVP? You may contact me in PM. I work for Purple. I will help you to set up new member of Purple.

I already has purple number and I already got private invite to get MVP in Fullerton. My friends going be there too because he got invite too. But that friend living with me we are roommate. I just wonder if we using MVP in same internet and ip address would we able to receive Calls and send Calls. That what I wonder. That all.

Last week, I was experiementing Ojo using 10 digit number. I was calling my friend using Sorenson Phone number on my Ojo. It did got thru, Ojo's screen was flashing while it"s ringing (interesting) then finally my friend answered and was surprised that my screen is narrow and she went :confused: and I told her it's my Ojo in garage. :giggle: and we had good 5 min chat then I signed off. I called another friend (was so excited!) And Ojo refuse to dial thru other Sorenson ph number :ugh: I tried other and not working. Ummh!! I called SnapVrs help and I explained them that I couldn't call other but one on 10 digit number? She explained me that some deaf already have e911 setup for Sorenson and maybe other haven't. I told her that it probably xplains why I couldn't go thru. She said we are waiting for 10 digit to come. Still waiting. I told her ok no plm and signed off.

it's been a month since Snap Vrs told me that they're waiting and now waiting. Oh well I guess I have to wait till they get it so I can call friend thru Ojo in garage. I teased my friend that if I work on truck, putting Ojo on truck frame wherever it can sit on, her hubby can join me in watch me do job and have a chat with me. :rofl:

Catty

Finally I am glad other company finally can call other each.

I already has purple number and I already got private invite to get MVP in Fullerton. My friends going be there too because he got invite too. But that friend living with me we are roommate. I just wonder if we using MVP in same internet and ip address would we able to receive Calls and send Calls. That what I wonder. That all.

well no you will have differnet port but same internet and same ip address but different port

Yes, it is all about router itself, all router has limitation. The limitation is allow specific or all port on one private IP address, and simply put, no two devices can have same private ip address otherwise it will cause conflict and freezes.

On some router, you may be able to assign same port on two private IP addresses but the truth is it will cause ongoing problems in long run and cause the user total confusion because they do not understand how the router works.

The only way to solve the problem is to get IPv6, and it is entirely up to Internet committee decision to give a go ahead. Right now we are using IPv4 which offers solution with NAT because the pool of IPv4 is not enough to cover every machines in the world, IPv6 will be plenty and no need NAT at all. NAT is the heart of all routers. :)

Bart - you can use both vp's on same public ip. You just need to understand the limitations of it though. first vp should have the in/outbound ports open .the other vp would have a different private ip address then the first ip and all the outbound ports open. This would allow you to use both vps at the same time . The first vp can be used for calling out and in. the second vp can be used to be calling out only. The only way you will know if you have a incoming calls is to check the missing call frequently. This is pretty much the only way with more then 1 vp on same public ip address. If you want both vps to work incoming call and outgoing call then you will have to pony up the cash for a second ip address.

If any of you say this is not good enough or dont buy this story, then you can go study networking and see if you can come up with a new solution. Its certainly not sorenson fault or any VRS provider fault.

After I applied, I was caught by surprise at SorensonVRS popping up at my house, then I realized that they had attempted to contact me via email.

Unfortunately at the time my email wasn't working, lol.

I have an unusual setup in my network infrastructure.

Basically, it's like this:

thumb.jpg

... Oops, I forgot to add the SorensonVRS. Ah well, it's in there. Somewhere. lol

See the server? It usually gets DMZ. Not anymore, as I finally figured out how to work with the 2Wire router/modem.

The Sorenson VP200 isn't set as DMZ. I simply forwarded the necessary ports, and I will do that again whenever SorensonVRS upgrades my VP.

I am not going to set anything inside my network as DMZ unless I absolutely have to. So far, now that I've learned how to screw with the router properly, no way am I going to do that. :o

I mean, seriously, why use DMZ if you can forward the ports correctly? Then again, I can see that you have to do DMZ for certain things, but insofar as I see it in my network, there's absolutely no reason. (Yet!)

I also was informed that I could apply to be a SorensonVRS VP installer, since I know so much about how to work with computers and routers, and I think I will, due to my knowledge. It seems to me, so far, after I've observed the technicians, that they set your VP200 as DMZ to minimize conflict.

As for static IPs and dynamic IPs, that depends on your ISP and most importantly, on your router.

For the most part, the router will do DHCP, unless you have a reason for certain things to be set as static. My server and the VP200 is set as static while my ISP has my internet connection as dynamic.

Makes for a somewhat painful and in my opinion, somewhat kludgy way of dealing with the entire setup, but it works.

For some time now, I've been considering getting static IPs from my ISP simply because I would more than likely need one sooner or later anyways.

If you can get static IPs, I'd recommend you get one. Dynamic IPs work, at least, for the most part.

If you've got servers and such like I do, then you'd definitely need static IPs.

Any other questions? Or am I talking too much? :P

In all honesty, it should go with how you've got things set up. If it's easier to do DMZ, then by all means, do so. If you're security-paranoid, like I am, then simply port-forward.

The only way to solve the problem is to get IPv6, and it is entirely up to Internet committee decision to give a go ahead. Right now we are using IPv4 which offers solution with NAT because the pool of IPv4 is not enough to cover every machines in the world, IPv6 will be plenty and no need NAT at all. NAT is the heart of all routers. :)

Actually, you still need NAT. NAT translates everything for us.

Essentially, what NAT does is, it helps you find, say, yahoo.com

Then the router goes to find where yahoo.com and translates the name to an IP address. After finding the IP address, it returns the website that you want to find.

NAT and DNS is critical.

No no, NAT is needed whenever single IP IP address is shared within private IP address.

Suppose you get 5 public IP addresses from ISP and used for your five machines then NAT is NOT required.

But normally you get one public IP address and need to share to 5 machines then you definetly need NAT.

Then the router goes to find where yahoo.com and translates the name to an IP address. After finding the IP address, it returns the website that you want to find.

NAT and DNS is critical.

No no, NAT is needed whenever single IP IP address is shared within private IP address.

Suppose you get 5 public IP addresses from ISP and used for your five machines then NAT is NOT required.

But normally you get one public IP address and need to share to 5 machines then you definetly need NAT.
Keiro said:

NAT and DNS is critical.

diehardbiker is correct. NAT is for when you want to use ONE ip address on a network (i.e. at home) with multiple computers and a VP and the DNS is the Domain Name System is what gives the IP address to a name such as yahoo.com. See Domain Name System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . NAT and DNS are two different things.

In all honesty, it should go with how you've got things set up. If it's easier to do DMZ, then by all means, do so. If you're security-paranoid, like I am, then simply port-forward.

I second that. I always prefer to use port forwarding over DMZ. Even though the VP-200 is not really hackable, DMZ is ok, but I am a control freak and I like to specify only the ports that are necessary.

Back