untittled

redriver

Reaction score
There were no drug stores long ago. Many plants have medicine. There still medicine people who know about these plants. Pharmacies have used these plants or recreated the chemicals within them.

They moved accordingly, from sugarbush in the early spring, to summer fishing and gardening, to ricing lakes and rivers in the fall, to hunting and trapping areas in the winter.

Tobacco is a gift from the Creator to offer to the spirits. It is used from the cradle to the grave. Parents offer a namer tobacco when they want their baby named. A dead person takes tobacco with them on their journey. Throughout one's life tobacco is offered for many reasons. In the morning when one gets up, tobacco is put on or near tree, on a rock, in clean place, in the water, in fire, or smoked in a pipe. Sacred places, waterfalls, painted rocks, the spirit cedar, are all places where tobacco is offered.

Tobacco is sent to the four directions, Grandmother Earth, and the leading spirits in sky, the four legged, and winged, the water beings, and the spirits of the region, to Wenaboozhoo and his relatives. Often this is done in pipe ceremonies. A pipe carrier needs to walk on a good road, because s/he communicates with the universe, the spirits and the creator in a special way.

Wearing cedar in your moccasins helps protect you from those who could harm you. This tradition is important when you travel to other powwows, when there are a lot of strangers around.

When you point a at a person you are pointing at, piercing, their soul.

Whenever anything is taken from the earth, a gift must be given back. Tobacco is offered and special prayers are said when anything is harvested in the creator's garden

I know of several of the beliefs you mention from teaching at Stone Child College on Rocky Boy's Reservation and at Fort Belknap Indian College, both in Montana.

They may not be my beliefs, but I respect them and try not to offend by violating customs and mores at least as old as my religeous beliefs.

Thanks for posting.

Back