UN-subtitled DVD's

Angeleyez

Reaction score
Hiya everyone

I recently tried to buy series one and two of creature comforts on DVD but couldnt because there were no subtitles available. This was very dissapointing for me because i am deaf and cannot follow anything without the aid of subtitles.

I watch creature comforts every sunday on ITV at 7.20pm and it has subtitles available!! There is obviously a subtitling file in existence and at the very most, the DVD would only have to be slightly adjusted for a DVD release!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? if so, PLEASE do make your voice heard because if we dont all complain, then nothing will ever get done. If you wish to complain, then email: general@bva.org.uk They are the people to complain too if DVD's or videos do not have subtitles

Maria

It's probably because it's an European video. The email ends with "UK", which is an European email address. Most foreign countries don't exactly follow subtitle-related concerns. There was a television series that I wanted on DVD... Transformers. It wasn't captioned or subtitled. So, I did some research and found out that it was distributed in Canada. So, I complained along with a lot of my other friends... but they didn't bother. The next series... Transformers: Beast Wars... was captioned cuz it was distributed in the United States.

Marlee Matlin's "Where the Truth Lies" DVD does not have captions and it was distributed in the US...not to mention that um HELLO Marlee is deaf and the exec producer of the movie is a CODA, and Marlee's company made the movie. Apparently the company that was working with Marlee's co. was too cheap to pay for captions. Yet, when it was on TV, it had captions. Confuzzling isn't it?

One DVD movied I rented from blockbuster a recently new released called The Hallow. It's pissed me off no subtiles or closed capitons!

LilacMystic22 said:
One DVD movied I rented from blockbuster a recently new released called The Hallow. It's pissed me off no subtiles or closed capitons!
Are you sure? I watched it recently and it was captioned. Perhaps, it's your television or DVD player. I have a 13" Daewoo television, a Zenith VCR/DVD player, and a Playstation 2 hooked up together. There are a few problems though...

My television isn't 100% reliable. My universal remote doesn't work due to it being newer than the universal remote that I have. Secondly, the television was provided by NTID along with my D-Link (video phone) and was used last year. It may have been abused by another student who had it before me... so the television sorta sucks.

My VCR/DVD player doesn't play captions well. Most of the captioning show up 25% to 50% of the time. Because of that, I use my Playstation 2 instead. My VCR/DVD player sometimes skips for 1 out of 25 DVDs that I watch. If that happens, then I use my Playstation 2 for that DVD.

That's why it could be the same in your case... something to do with your television or your DVD player.

Back