U.S. report: 40 million can't afford health care

yep. we've already seen the EPIC FAIL of universal health care... plus - the concept of Universal Healtcare is un-American. Affordable and competitive healthcare cost makes sense in America. That alone is a good motivator for driving innovation in medical technology advancement and several others. This concept has worked for hundreds of years. that's why we're the economic powerhouse & innovator. :)

Yup, I have agree with you about universal health care is un-American and need alot work on affordable health care that based on capitalism.

NHS in UK isn't good as in America due long wait list and more limited, I just got experience from few of my families.

I believe that unemployed people need receive support from government for medical care.

How would "universal" health care guarantee that the poor would have access to better quality doctors? Even with universal access to health care, that health care will still be staffed by the same doctors that are working now. Will universal health care improve the quality of doctors, hospitals, and services? Will poor people who are currently using government assisted health care really get better care than they do now? Would more private hospitals become "state" hospitals? Just asking.

No, it won't get better quality doctor or our government will broke, unless we have pay more than 50% in tax from payroll to get better quality doctor for free.

Experience of universal health care in Canada and UK, they aren't good as in private doctors in America.

I don't know that and no way for government to make private hospital into state hospital, it could be very difficult to transition like Russia did for transition from soviet style economy into capitalism but still unstable right now.

No, it won't get better quality doctor or our government will broke, unless we have pay more than 50% in tax from payroll to get better quality doctor for free.

Experience of universal health care in Canada and UK, they aren't good as in private doctors in America.

The American government is spending 3 times more than the Canadian government on healthcare and we don't pay anywhere near 50% in taxes. Not even close. Yet dozens of Americans are still without health insurance when every single Canadian has access to the healthcare system, no matter what their income is.

The American government is spending 3 times more than the Canadian government on healthcare and we don't pay anywhere near 50% in taxes. Not even close. Yet dozens of Americans are still without health insurance when every single Canadian has access to the healthcare system, no matter what their income is.

I guess it's because Canadian government has plenty more money to spend on healthcare since you don't spend much on other areas like American government does... like ummm.... say defense budget? foreign assistance budget?

Last edited:
I guess it's because Canadian government has plenty more money to spend on healthcare because you don't spend much on other areas like American government does... like ummm.... say defense budget? foreign assistance budget?

It seems that Canada doesnt have any enemies...maybe that's why.

here's what makes sense to me - CareLink program in San Antonio.
How is this administered? Can the person choose which primary care physician they are assigned to?

Does it work well?

This is a very attractive plan.
Something like this might work in Ohio.

How is this administered? Can the person choose which primary care physician they are assigned to?

Does it work well?

This is a very attractive plan.
Something like this might work in Ohio.

yes. like what the post said - it's a financial program and they help you get a fair deal from doctor because doctor/hospital overcharges people with no insurance just cuz they can.

How would "universal" health care guarantee that the poor would have access to better quality doctors? Even with universal access to health care, that health care will still be staffed by the same doctors that are working now. Will universal health care improve the quality of doctors, hospitals, and services? Will poor people who are currently using government assisted health care really get better care than they do now? Would more private hospitals become "state" hospitals? Just asking.

Hospitals would not become government hospitals, private or whatever else, they would all just have to allow equal access. Meaning, there would be no preferential treatment given to the famous, the rich, those with better insurance plans, etc.

What is the Canadian doctors' salaries compared to American doctors' salaries??

I dont think we would use the canadian health care system as a model. At least, I hope not.

What is the Canadian doctors' salaries compared to American doctors' salaries??

The national average is around above $200,000. Although last year here in Ontario, they agreed to raise their salary by at least 12 percent.

A big raise, I'll say.

The national average is around above $200,000. Although last year here in Ontario, they agreed to raise their salary by at least 12 percent.

A big raise, I'll say.

lol that's it? $200,000 is the starting salary for our doctors here... I think after several years - their average salary goes up to around half a million or more :eek:

lol that's it? $200,000 is the starting salary for our doctors here... I think after several years - their average salary goes up to around half a million or more :eek:

Depends what profession it is in. I doubt most doctors start anywhere near $200,000 unless you're a plastic surgeon living in California.

$200,000 is plenty to live on in Canada. More than plentiful, actually. We have different standards of living here. In the USA, the average salary for a family doctor is approximately $131,373.

Physician Salaries, Average Physician Salary, Doctors' Salaries in USA - PayScale

Depends what profession it is in. I doubt most doctors start anywhere near $200,000 unless you're a plastic surgeon living in California.

$200,000 is plenty to live on in Canada. More than plentiful, actually. We have different standards of living here. In the USA, the average salary for a family doctor is approximately $131,373.

Physician Salaries, Average Physician Salary, Doctors' Salaries in USA - PayScale

and also pretty much depend on where you live. $200,000 is barely enough to live in highly-populated metropolitan area. plastic surgeon living in California/Florida/NYC is over $500,000, I believe.

the link you provided - It's just rough average because it's also including majority of doctors living in non-metropolitan area so it brings down the actual average salary of doctors living in metropolitan area. :dunno:

and also pretty much depend on where you live. $200,000 is barely enough to live in highly-populated metropolitan area. plastic surgeon living in California/Florida/NYC is over $500,000, I believe.

the link you provided - It's just rough average because it's also including majority of doctors living in non-metropolitan area so it brings down the actual average salary of doctors living in metropolitan area. :dunno:

Remember, we are talking about national averages, not cities like NYC or California. To use NYC as a comparison to the national average of Canada is ridiculous.

One of the biggest problems in the US is that there are so many frivilous lawsuits that doctors have to take out very expensive malpractice insurance.

I do not know if Canada has problems with that or not?

One of the biggest problems in the US is that there are so many frivilous lawsuits that doctors have to take out very expensive malpractice insurance.

I do not know if Canada has problems with that or not?

As someone who has sued a doctor, I would say that it is extremely time consuming, emotionally draining and expensive. I think that the average "frivilous" person would give up before the 5 1/2 years it took us to get to court. I assure you the VAST majority of horrendous mistakes made by doctors never see a courtroom.

Wal mart is partly blamed for not change the policy for health insurance and doesn't have enough percent to cover the cost of insurance, even Wal mart is very rich company and can afford to cover a largest of percent on health insurance and health options are more limited when compare to other companies.

Some companies are partly blamed for lack of mainstream on health insurance as well, for on top, government and health insurance companies are one of majority to blamed.

Wake-Up Wal-Mart: The Real Wal-Mart Facts (scroll down to health care section)

Back