U.S. report: 40 million can't afford health care

You'll have to pardon me, I just gagged there for a second at the costs of meds. I am aware that some people has to pay thousands and thousands on a monthly basis for drugs.

It's just astonishing how costly it can get.

I agree. There's absolutely no excuse why families should have to make the choice between meds, putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads. As far as my meds are concerned, I take 5 meds for my bipolar (each med addresses a different symptom) which are necessary since this disorder is a lifelong illness that requires meds in order to prevent worsening symptoms as one ages. I also take meds for migraines and year round allergies, but I'd sacrifice those before my bipolar meds. Having said that, it's a real shame that families are faced with this kind of a decision every day.

I agree. There's absolutely no excuse why families should have to make the choice between meds, putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads. As far as my meds are concerned, I take 5 meds for my bipolar (each med addresses a different symptom) which are necessary since this disorder is a lifelong illness that requires meds in order to prevent worsening symptoms as one ages. I also take meds for migraines and year round allergies, but I'd sacrifice those before my bipolar meds. Having said that, it's a real shame that families are faced with this kind of a decision every day.

A little off here, HA. I was listening to some people talking about this the other day...seems that there's bipolar light and bipolar heavy and that a lot of folks have been free of this disorder by taking some kind of vitamin...I think it is called Power Plus from Truehope....I know this isn't much information but have you heard of this?

I agree. I shudder at the thought of lower/middle class families having a hard time trying to make ends meet when they have medical bills to pay.

me too, my friend, me too....

clearly understandable... but see - here's my troubled issue. I do believe in "class" such as rich and poor and middle (to put it simply) - I mean.. after all... this country is a Land of Opportunity because this is a capitalist country. If people are rich.. it's because they worked like a dog to get there. If people are poor - well sorry. I don't believe that rich people have to pay up for majority of poor. I do believe in assistance but that's where the train stops for me. I don't believe in spoon-feeding or cuddling people because there are too many leeches. I don't have a problem with providing assistance for people like Hear Again but for regular poor families... sorry. My cold advice to them is something like - "well maybe you shouldn't have children if you're having trouble feeding them."

My chiropractor always say this to me - "50% of the problem.... I can help you. but the other 50% of the problem - you have to do it yourself."

Jillio, If I don't have insurance or medicaid and get sick then I need go to public hospital as only option?

I have 3 meds that covered by medicaid but after probably dropped in last 2 weeks ago, now, none of them are on $4 generic drugs by Target or Wal mart, one is cost $170 for 30 capsules and other is cost $60 for 30 tablets. :(

I'm tried to call medicaid and couldn't get right option then I'm in struck.

Jillio, If I don't have insurance or medicaid and get sick then I need go to public hospital as only option?

I have 3 meds that covered by medicaid but after probably dropped in last 2 weeks ago, now, none of them are on $4 generic drugs by Target or Wal mart, one is cost $170 for 30 capsules and other is cost $60 for 30 tablets. :(

I'm tried to call medicaid and couldn't get right option then I'm in struck.

Unfortunately, using a hospital ER is one of the few options open to those without insurance.

You could ask your doctor to prescribe a medication that is on the generic list. That price sounds like it is a name brand.

Unfortunately, using a hospital ER is one of the few options open to those without insurance.

You could ask your doctor to prescribe a medication that is on the generic list. That price sounds like it is a name brand.

Could I get huge bills if go to ER at public hospital?

Not all generic drugs are part of $4.

I read HearAgain & Foxrac´s posts over medication costs... Unbelievable... I can understand that middle and low class people cannot afford to achive the medication costs and also limited healthcare coverage as well...

I´m very glad that Obama doing his best to help his people in America to get their life easy and aviod bankrupt etc.

I read HearAgain & Foxrac´s posts over medication costs... Unbelievable... I can understand that middle and low class people cannot afford to achive the medication costs and also limited healthcare coverage as well...

I´m very glad that Obama doing his best to help his people in America to get their life easy and aviod bankrupt etc.

Well, I could afford it but will make more hard to save more money to meet my achievement and not going to buy for $170 and other for $60.

I could get Zyrtec for $28 at Wal mart and $27 for Prilosec.

Prilosec isn't powerful as Zegerid or Protonix to stop the heartburn or acid influx.

Could I get huge bills if go to ER at public hospital?

Not all generic drugs are part of $4.

Not all generic drugs are a part of the $4.00 list, but generics are still considerably cheaper in all instances than are name brands.

And yes, you could get big bills from using an ER at a public hospital. The other choice is to do without medical care at all. That is why the health care system in this country needs an overhaul.

Not all generic drugs are a part of the $4.00 list, but generics are still considerably cheaper in all instances than are name brands.

And yes, you could get big bills from using an ER at a public hospital. The other choice is to do without medical care at all. That is why the health care system in this country needs an overhaul.

It's weird because my hearing friend did went to ER at public hospital when he don't have insurance due lost the job in 2 years ago and they got treatment at small charge. He said bills from public hospital is charge based on income.

Without medical care, I will RIP or could lose job if unable to work for long period of illness.

It's weird because my hearing friend did went to ER at public hospital when he don't have insurance due lost the job in 2 years ago and they got treatment at small charge. He said bills from public hospital is charge based on income.

Without medical care, I will RIP.

Yes, many public hospitals, and even some doctor's office will use a "sliding fee scale" for uninsured patients. There are those that don't, as well.

Many people find themselves in your position. It is sad.

Yes, many public hospitals, and even some doctor's office will use a "sliding fee scale" for uninsured patients. There are those that don't, as well.

Many people find themselves in your position. It is sad.

I edited my post to added "could lose job if unable to work for long period of illness".

Sinusitis could take 2 weeks to 1 month to full heal without medical care but with medical care, it will full heal by 1 week or less.

And yes, that too.

It seems like opposite to fail, If I lose the job due illness then I will quality to receive SSI and return to medicaid again, it sounds like epic fail for job career.

It seems like opposite to fail, If I lose the job due illness then I will quality to receive SSI and return to medicaid again, it sounds like epic fail for job career.

The way the system is currently set up, you are correct. That is exactly why we desperately need changes.

This is true. I take 2 generic meds which are considerably less than their name brand counterparts. If I didn't, my total cost for meds/month (or more accurately, Medicaid's) would be closer to $2,000.

A little off here, HA. I was listening to some people talking about this the other day...seems that there's bipolar light and bipolar heavy and that a lot of folks have been free of this disorder by taking some kind of vitamin...I think it is called Power Plus from Truehope....I know this isn't much information but have you heard of this?

I've heard of various alternative treatments for bipolar, but as jillio said, I wouldn't place any confidence in them. Bipolar disorder is a chemical imbalance in the brain that requires meds. If left untreated, bipolar can increase one's chances of developing progressively severe manic episodes that can cause a person to lose touch with reality. Research has also proven that with each manic episode a person experiences, the body goes through tremendous stress due to all of the physical changes that take place. From what my psychiatrist and therapist tell me, the best treatment for bipolar is a combination of meds and therapy.

Hear Again - I'm not sure but why you're worried about the cost of medications since the government's paying for it.

Hear Again - I'm not sure but why you're worried about the cost of medications since the government's paying for it.

I'm worried for a number of reasons:

1. I see my sister struggle to put food on the table, pay for her house payments and afford co-pays so her 2 teenage children can see a doctor.

2. I have seen many people with bipolar on message boards go without meds because they are considered middle income and make too much money for Medicaid and too little to be able to afford private health insurance.

3. Why shouldn't I care about the fact that other people struggle just because I don't? That's selfish.

4. I worry about my meds all the time because of having to re-register for Medicaid every year. If you'd like to know the truth, my eligibility for Medicaid expired this month, so I'm currently trying to work with my sister to qualify once again. Aside from that, I pay $42/month for 30 pills of Clonazepam (a med I take for my bipolar 2-3x/day) since it isn't covered by Medicaid.

Are those good enough reasons for you? I hope so. :)

I'm worried for a number of reasons:

1. I see my sister struggle to put food on the table, pay for her house payments and afford co-pays so her 2 teenage children can see a doctor.

2. I have seen many people with bipolar on message boards go without meds because they are considered middle income and make too much money for Medicaid and too little to be able to afford private health insurance.

3. Why shouldn't I care about the fact that other people struggle just because I don't? That's selfish.

4. I worry about my meds all the time because of having to re-register for Medicaid every year. If you'd like to know the truth, my eligibility for Medicaid expired this month, so I'm currently trying to work with my sister to qualify once again. Aside from that, I pay $42/month for 30 pills of Clonazepam (a med I take for my bipolar 2-3x/day) since it isn't covered by Medicaid.

Are those good enough reasons for you? I hope so. :)

yes perfectly. :ty: for painting a grim picture for me. [Mod's Edit - Provoking/Enticing; Comment removed] :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back